Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2022 11:07:05 AM EDT
If you have a Pistol like and MP5K, Form 1 AOW it & add a VFG, if you take off the VFG, does it become a non-NFA pistol again?  Or is it still considered an AOW since you "re-manufactured it" via a Form 1 into an AOW?

I know AOW's don't require interstate travel approval, and most States actually allow AOW's, but conversion back to a non-NFA for interstate travel might be better than AOW status.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it reverts back to Title I.

NFA (Title II) are ONLY considered NFA items when configured as such.

Same goes with SBR/SBS, etc etc. You can slap a 16"+ Barrel on an SBR and tote it across state lines into unfriendly states, zero issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same goes with SBR/SBS, etc etc. You can slap a 16"+ Barrel on an SBR and tote it across state lines into unfriendly states, zero issue.
View Quote
This.  Also, remember that you're not required to get approval to move AOWs interstate, that's only required for SBRs, SBSs, DDs, and MGs.  State laws notwithstanding of course.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks.  

But the more research I did, there seems to be some debate on Pistols to SBR's and back to Pistols (I know, not the same as you posted).  As you've now "manufactured a new Rifle", so it can't go back to a Pistol.  Unless stripped of parts and "re-manufactured" as a pistol by a manufacturer.  

So that's why I was wondering about AOW's going back to a Pistol.  I really wanted to go the SBR route on an MP5K, but not if it can't legally go back to a Pistol if the stock is removed.

It's all so very confusing.  I may just stick to leaving it as a Pistol and go with the tight sling SAS method.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.  

But the more research I did, there seems to be some debate on Pistols to SBR's and back to Pistols (I know, not the same as you posted).  As you've now "manufactured a new Rifle", so it can't go back to a Pistol.  Unless stripped of parts and "re-manufactured" as a pistol by a manufacturer.  

So that's why I was wondering about AOW's going back to a Pistol.  I really wanted to go the SBR route on an MP5K, but not if it can't legally go back to a Pistol if the stock is removed.

It's all so very confusing.  I may just stick to leaving it as a Pistol and go with the tight sling SAS method.

View Quote

That's horseshit.

You can go back as much as you want between the two of it started it's life as a pistol (or technically anything other than a rifle).

There is a rule known as first a Rifle always a rifle. Basically you can't take a factory rifle and make it a pistol. But that's not what your example is talking about.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to the OP for refreshing this for me (and to the subsequent posters who have cleared this subject again, to my obfuscated memory).

I was just having this doubt myself - since I purchased several pistols recently (Evo, MP5 and two others) and was debating whether, by stamping them, I'd lose forever the ability to then, un-SBR them and sell them back to the market in the easier format (for resale) of pistols - easy sale (versus registered SBR).

This cleared it - I'm appreciative
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks.  

View Quote

No difference, if you SBR an AR pistol and then revert back to the original pistol configuration it is a Title 1 pistol again. The ATF has made it pretty clear that SBR/SBS/AOW are only NFA items when actually configured as such. The axiom of 'once a rifle always a rifle' is limited to a receiver that was originally configured as such, as in you can't buy a Title 1 AR and convert it into a pistol.

ETA: Beat
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No difference, if you SBR an AR pistol and then revert back to the original pistol configuration it is a Title 1 pistol again. The ATF has made it pretty clear that SBR/SBS/AOW are only NFA items when actually configured as such. The axiom of 'once a rifle always a rifle' is limited to a receiver that was originally configured as such, as in you can't buy a Title 1 AR and convert it into a pistol.

ETA: Beat
View Quote

Another example, I bought a complete lower with a stock. Transfer as other.
Removed stock immediately, install brace, attach 11" upper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's were I'm getting my info.  Old thread on M4carbine.net

OK, I skipped a lot of the responses here, so it may have actually been covered.
But, I will say, I have gone through this process, and know how it works, legally.

First, you can take a pistol, configure it to a rifle, and then re-configure it back to a pistol. This was all settled in the case over Thompson contenders, for they can easily do just that.

Now, to this. Once you registered your pistol as an sbr, legally, you remanufactured it. It is no longer a pistol, or receiver. It is now a rifle, period. Yes, you can put a longer barrel on it, and cross state lines w/O an f5, but it still now a rifle.
Can it ever be a pistol again, legally? Short answer is yes.
The full answer is that an 07/sot can disassemble the rifle, removing the barrel and stock (both, important here), and re-manufacture it as a pistol once again, and remove it from the nfa registry.
There is no provision for individuals to do this, it must be a manufacturer.

For any who wonder how I know this. I was the 'smith at an 07/sot. We sbr'ed one of those pps43 pistols. Later, when no one had shown any interest in buying it, the owner wanted to know if we could make it back into a pistol, or a non-sbr rifle.

The above info is from a rather extensive couple of conversations I had with the batfe attorney about it.
View Quote

Who knows what the ATF would say about this today?

I guess the next questions is:

Has anymore sent in a letter to the ATF informing them they were converting their SBR back into a Pistol (Removal from NFA).  And got a copy of there letter back from the ATF with ATF acknowledgement (basically saying it's ok)?

I think that would be our proof it's ok.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks.  

View Quote

Once a pistol, always a pistol
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone seems agree you can but I’ve never been convinced. It’s such a rare situation there just isn’t much to go off.

In my mind it makes perfect sense that a newly made gun is the same as starting from scratch. I think it’s one of the many situations that nobody foresaw.

Quoted:

View Quote

And you are basing that on what?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah Ive read as many of these threads as I could find over the years looking for a clear answer.

No one ever agrees.  Just like the threads asking how to ship a lower for engraving.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah Ive read as many of these threads as I could find over the years looking for a clear answer.

No one ever agrees.  Just like the threads asking how to ship a lower for engraving.
View Quote

Well here you go. This is your time for clarification.

You can go back and forth as many times as you want if the firearm in question wasn't originally configured as a rifle.

Period. Full stop. You can take it to the bank.

If it WAS originally a rifle, you can still go back and forth as many times as you want from Title I Rifle and SBR, by adding a barrel 16" or longer.

Period. Full stop. You can take it to the bank.

Clear enough?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everyone seems agree you can but I’ve never been convinced. It’s such a rare situation there just isn’t much to go off.

In my mind it makes perfect sense that a newly made gun is the same as starting from scratch. I think it’s one of the many situations that nobody foresaw.

And you are basing that on what?
View Quote

Please read this.  It's plain as day. You can look at the summary at the end. It specifically mentions disassembly and reconfiguration, and allows it. It also mentions in the same ruling that an NFA item is ONLY under the perview of the NFA while configured as an NFA item.

Let's stop with the "ambiguity" - as it's not. It's crystal clear.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Please read this.  It's plain as day. You can look at the summary at the end. It specifically mentions disassembly and reconfiguration, and allows it. It also mentions in the same ruling that an NFA item is ONLY under the perview of the NFA while configured as an NFA item.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It specifically names almost every situation except going NFA and back. Almost every thing I see listed there says “except for NFA” or “when reconfigured into non NFA” like NFA stuff is different.

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It specifically names almost every situation except going NFA and back. Almost every thing I see listed there says “except for NFA” or “when reconfigured into non NFA” like NFA stuff is different.

View Quote

This is straight from the NFA Handbook.

Section 2.5 Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by        modification/elimination of components.

Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, that ruling is crystal clear.

Unfortunately, not long before that ruling was published, ATF FTB in fact issued letters (at least some of which have been widely shared online) indicating that even if a firearm started as being a pistol, once reconfigured to a rifle configuration, reconfiguration to a pistol configuration would result in making a firearm from a rifle/ SBR. Those letters were a deviation from what ATF had used as their standard for a long time and are a deviation from what ATF has since formalized. Regardless, the damage that those letters had is blatently obvious.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
This from the handbook seems to answer the AOW to non-NFA Pistol question.

A shot pistol (“any other weapon”) such as an H&R Handy Gun may be removed from the NFA by
either disposing of the smooth bore barrel or permanently installing a rifled sleeve chambered to accept
a standard pistol cartridge into the smooth bore barrel. Modified by sleeving the barrel, an H&R Handy
Gun is no longer an NFA weapon because it now has a rifled bore.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anybody that uses the NFA Handbook as law only has themselves to blame. It may say what you want it to say, but it also contains multiple errors and it quite outdated. It holds zero weight of law.
View Quote

So what side of the argument are you on?

Yes, a pistol to SBR can go back to pistol if the stock is removed?

Or no, it’s now a rifle and can’t go back to a pistol?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pistol to SBR to pistol is fine. I’m simply saying don’t trust the NFA Handbook as proof.

Somebody emailed the ATF the question and Gary (the head of the NFA Division at the time) said it was fine. That won’t hold up in court, either…but there’s nothing in the regs to indicate pistol->rifle->pistol is legal yet pistol->short-barreled rifle->pistol is not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126679/180B71AC-AD2E-4A9A-8766-7DD4A98FE390-1077400.jpg
View Quote

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top