Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 2:02:23 PM EDT
Anyone familar with these in 9mm?  Data seems hard to find, for some reason.  Is there a reason for that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah probably because hodgdon did not find good loads.
that speaks volumes
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah probably because hodgdon did not find good loads.
that speaks volumes
View Quote

Yea, from what I can tell these are old generation shotgun powders intended for lower pressure operations.   Running them in 9mm apaprently can get "spikey" in pressure, and apparently isn't so highly advised.... I think?

There's .45 data out there, so I guess that might be the way to use these up.   Which is too bad, as I actually was wanting some faster powders for 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yea, from what I can tell these are old generation shotgun powders intended for lower pressure operations.   Running them in 9mm apaprently can get "spikey" in pressure, and apparently isn't so highly advised.... I think?

There's .45 data out there, so I guess that might be the way to use these up.   Which is too bad, as I actually was wanting some faster powders for 9mm.
View Quote

Anything in particular you’re trying to do with the 9mm?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, 200gr SWC and WST in 45 is one of my best target loads.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I have a P7 and CFE Pistol powder.   The gas system is designed to work better with faster powders, and CFE Pistol is slow.  So running a fast pistol powder on the warmer side gives best performance.  These two powders I got for cheap at an estate sale, and I got specificially for this; based on a snap assessment of their relatively fast burn rate.  but now it appears that they are low P  designed powders, and so sensitive to boot-strap to a dangerously too-fast burn rate, if one tries to run at full 9mm power; and probaby not an ideal path with something like a P7.  

so.... darn.  

Apparently they do OK in lower P .45 though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I was left with about 4 pounds of WST after selling my shotshell loader.  I was happy to find that it worked for .45ACP.  I can't tell any difference in performance from W231 that I had been using.

If it did work for 9mm, it would probably be for heavy bullets.  You may find data in an old reloading data sheet collection.

I have a few in my archives and will take a look if I remember.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#9]
International Clays was my go to powder......for 28 gage.  

OpYou need a 28 ga over under. .

Iirc I may have use it in .40 cal loads too.

WST I bought for .45, it is supposed to be low flash iirc.   Around the same time I was checking out BE86 and Sport Pistol for various handgun uses.

The standard Clays makes great loads for target loads in the .45 acp.  It has that rep for getting spikey near the top.  I keep it modest.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.

I'll just run through the .45 then.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]
WST is great in .45 acp.  4.5 -4.9 gr behind most any bullet.

I also use it in my plinking .40 S&W loads.  4 gr and a coated 180 gr bullet is a soft shooting load and surprisingly accurate in my P320.

I tried it for light loads in .357 and .45 Colt with good results.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Have loaded thousands of 9mm with WST 124 and 147.  There used to be data for it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Older ( early 1990's )  Hornady manual has 9mm WST data

115gr

WST   5.2-5.6gr

-----------

124gr

WST 4.8-5.4gr

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Ran the Win WST with .45 ACP  230 gr ball.  Kind of a home-run.  800 FPS, with very good accuracy at 15 yards for offhand.  Mild recoil.  And the most redulously clean ammo I've ever fired.  I swear, I think my dirty pistol got cleaner as I went.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top