Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2019 11:52:29 AM EDT
At home depot...looking for something to use as the pillars. Will a 3/8 brass pipe work?. Not finding anything on stainless or aluminun... Thought they would have some type of spacers in the fasteners isle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]

For clarification
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Guess  it could.

I went to a local surplus metal supply and bought an eight foot stick of half inch, 1/4 wall aluminum tubing.

Anything needs pillars I just lop a chunk off and clean it and size it in the lathe.

Some folks make epoxy pillars, bore out the hole, fill it, clamp the action together, come back and drill out the holes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much anything that won't deform easily (basswood, thin polymer) will work fine. I sometimes use stainless, sometimes aluminum, I've even used bronze a time or two. It depends what I have handy in the right size, or what I've already got in the lathe, or what's in the scrap bin. Nearly any type of common metal will work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your local TSC or Rural King,if one is available.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I see people using 1/8" lamp nipples

link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top