Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2018 10:56:37 AM EDT
Has anyone here built a pill bottle or micro .22 suppressor? Looking for some ideas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Several commercially available designs to mimic.
Off the top of my head:

Thompson Wasp also Poseidon Micro 9mm
Huntertown Guardian Micro
Osprey Micro
Rugged Oculus
XCaliber Genesis Micro
Innovative Arms Apex Micro
Gemtech Aurora (albeit 9mm)
SRT Odessa

Here's a Form 1

Any specific features or size constraints you're trying to reach?
Materials you wish to use?
Solely for 22lr?
Plan to shoot wet, wiped, both, neither?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Several commercially available designs to mimic.
Off the top of my head:

Thompson Wasp also Poseidon Micro 9mm
Huntertown Guardian Micro
Osprey Micro
Rugged Oculus
XCaliber Genesis Micro
Innovative Arms Apex Micro
Gemtech Aurora (albeit 9mm)
SRT Odessa

Here's a Form 1

Any specific features or size constraints you're trying to reach?
Materials you wish to use?
Solely for 22lr?
Plan to shoot wet, wiped, both, neither?
View Quote
My idea is 3" or smaller and I don"t plan on shooting anything bigger than .22lr through it. Wiped and wet capable, but will also shoot dry. I think I'm going to roll with stainless. Closest thing to what I want would be the Armtac Covert. I already own an Oculus. Thanks for the suggestion that you shared as that looks similar to what I want to make.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might want to take a look at Bowers new 'BITTY' suppressor as well.

BITTY
View Quote
Really simple internals on that, as well... at least now I know what to do with the chunks of 17-4 I've got laying around.

Link Posted: 5/29/2018 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are Omega baffles and, unless you are making an exact copy of existing, are not easy to get right (the first time at least)
The Omega baffles are patented and you'll need to ask permission before making your own. Yes, I'm serious.

Cones are much easier to make correctly, require much less effort and mechanical skill, and are, in and of themselves, not patented.
A cone with a smaller base OD and formed into the face of a flat baffle is a great way to save space.

Similar to this

Rusty's RSC baffle is a good example of maximizing space as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those are Omega baffles and, unless you are making an exact copy of existing, are not easy to get right (the first time at least)
The Omega baffles are patented and you'll need to ask permission before making your own. Yes, I'm serious.

Cones are much easier to make correctly, require much less effort and mechanical skill, and are, in and of themselves, not patented.
A cone with a smaller base OD and formed into the face of a flat baffle is a great way to save space.

Similar to this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz98RoledIwRp9gAvE7Svil5d9ClEi-kqf2MucfLwoVw6bxCBpnw

Rusty's RSC baffle is a good example of maximizing space as well.
View Quote
For four more years, anyway. For what it's worth, they've given me the go-ahead twice before, but that was before they got purchased by SilencerCo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
what about something tubeless like Q's erector? just thread a few k's so they screw into each other. use the 17-4 you have for the muzzle threads/blast baffle then 7075 for the remaining baffles. this would yield the most useable volume in the smallest package.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds close to the rebel style
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For four more years, anyway. For what it's worth, they've given me the go-ahead twice before, but that was before they got purchased by SilencerCo.
View Quote
Sorry to resurrect this thread but... That’s not how patents work. You are allowed to copy patented items for personal use. You cannot copy them for commercial use or resale.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You might want to take a look at Bowers new 'BITTY' suppressor as well.

BITTY
View Quote
I've got one of those waiting at my local SOT for the F4 approval.  Got to handle it a few days ago.  I was amazed by how small it was.

This is it next to my Sandman K I'm waiting on w/ one of the brakes for the Sandman.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but... That’s not how patents work. You are allowed to copy patented items for personal use. You cannot copy them for commercial use or resale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A quick online search shows that you're incorrect, but practically speaking no one really gets prosecuted.

...US law is more strict. It forbids anyone from making, using or selling the invention, even when the use is strictly personal.

Of course, since patent infringement lawsuits are very expensive, a private person is rarely if ever prosecuted for using the invention in his own home.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thought I would dig this up and ask....
Is there a source similar to sd or dm that supplies small, sub 4", tubes?
View Quote
DM can make it for you, just contact him and tell him what you need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My idea is 3" or smaller and I don"t plan on shooting anything bigger than .22lr through it. Wiped and wet capable, but will also shoot dry. I think I'm going to roll with stainless. Closest thing to what I want would be the Armtac Covert. I already own an Oculus. Thanks for the suggestion that you shared as that looks similar to what I want to make.
View Quote
There is a world of difference between a Pill Bottle can which is 1.5" and a 3" can.
From what I read Tornado Technologies has a Gemtech Pill Bottle style can in the works called the OXY22. Based on the pic it incorporates a cone style baffle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is a world of difference between a Pill Bottle can which is 1.5" and a 3" can.
From what I read Tornado Technologies has a Gemtech Pill Bottle style can in the works called the OXY22. Based on the pic it incorporates a cone style baffle.
View Quote
agree with this. the pill bottle suppressors aren't much over the 1.5" listed and often keychain worthy. a single cone baffle with a wipe is what most run. if your going 3" you may be able to stuff a couple K's in there with a wipe and should sound pretty good on longer barreled hosts. making it threaded like q's erector would help increase internal volume within a given size. with 17-4 you should be able to go pretty thin to keep weight down and volume up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Just wondering if you have found something available for this?  I was thinking about doing a form 1, short .22 can as well.

I'm contemplating ordering one of these, and a couple of end caps, the tubes are 1" each

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just wondering if you have found something available for this?  I was thinking about doing a form 1, short .22 can as well.

I'm contemplating ordering one of these, and a couple of end caps, the tubes are 1" each

https://www.preppersdiscount.com/uploads/4/5/0/8/45085061/s196571414477645806_p492_i6_w640.jpeg
View Quote
@thenning

You got a link for that?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@thenning

You got a link for that?
View Quote
Look in your quoted post.  

Here ya go
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is the full link  https://www.preppersdiscount.com/store/p492/%22D%22_Sized_Flashlight_Tube_Coupler_AND_%282%29_1%22_EXTENSION_TUBES.html

I still haven't picked one up, guess I should just do it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#20]
a quick question please?   I've bought lots of cans, but want to make a 2-3 inch .22 suppressor.  Mostly just because...... and I am getting efiles back in 3 weeks vs. months for Fm 4.

So that photo above with the 2 pieces and a center dual threaded piece?  How would one complete that into a usable suppressor with a wipe?

I understand the freeze plugs (maybe 2) and the blast baffle of titanium.  Where does one find the end pieces?   a 1/2" threaded piece for the barrel and the end piece?  I could drill the end piece, but the barrel mount piece?

I've read til I'm blue in the face, and lots of the info is either old, or the pictures were deleted by the host.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
a quick question please?   I've bought lots of cans, but want to make a 2-3 inch .22 suppressor.  Mostly just because...... and I am getting efiles back in 3 weeks vs. months for Fm 4.

So that photo above with the 2 pieces and a center dual threaded piece?  How would one complete that into a usable suppressor with a wipe?

I understand the freeze plugs (maybe 2) and the blast baffle of titanium.  Where does one find the end pieces?   a 1/2" threaded piece for the barrel and the end piece?  I could drill the end piece, but the barrel mount piece?

I've read til I'm blue in the face, and lots of the info is either old, or the pictures were deleted by the host.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I think you would be wasting your time with that D Cell battery extender. If you are looking to do a micro 22 can why would you try to make it with a 1.5" diameter tube, because that is what the D Cell flashlight is.

As far as end pieces go the working link above your post will lead you to all sorts of end pieces under Flashlight Adapters. You can also try SD Tactical for end pieces, but if you really want to do it right try DM (Diversified Machine). Plan out how you want it made, put it into a sketch with the dimensions you want and DM can do it, but as people say be prepared to wait and wait. There is also a fella named Rusty here and on another board that is a  Class 2 who can work with you to get you what you want once you have the Form 1.

If you really like doing some of the work yourself go pick up a Chinese Mini Lathe. Real machinists scuff at them but for a hobbyist who just wants to machine small parts they are great, along with a great price.  Try the Little Machine Shop for them and tooling.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you really like doing some of the work yourself go pick up a Chinese Mini Lathe. Real machinists scuff at them but for a hobbyist who just wants to machine small parts they are great, along with a great price.  Try the Little Machine Shop for them and tooling.
View Quote
They can certainly be made to suit the needs of a F1 suppressor builder.  They're small, they're wiggly, and have very limited capacity in every way, but if you take the time to tighten them up, invest in decent tooling and don't mind how long it takes to make parts on small machines with poor repeatability, they'll get the job done.  No, you're not going to bore several inches deep in 17-4 or 422 stainless like I do to make the mount/blast chamber of my tubeless designs, and you're not going to knock out steel baffles in a few minutes like I can on my 17x60 3HP machine taking .120" deep cuts with high feed rates, but if you work within the machine's capabilities and take your time doing light cuts and lots of measuring, you can produce good parts on the little 7" or 8" benchtop machines.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
You could tell DM what you wanted to do and they'll probably just shorten the 5" tube and send you both caps, 3 cups, and the appropriate spacers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Look in your quoted post.  

Here ya go
View Quote
Thanks. I needed a link that wasn't the jpeg. Lol
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has anyone here built a pill bottle or micro .22 suppressor? Looking for some ideas.
View Quote
I have small one in Ti, total weight was 2.2oz if I recall (about the weight of a muzzle break).  Performance was probably has you expect, it is between unsuppressed and a typical 5-6" rimfire can.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#26]
How is your small ti can on a bolt .22 rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top