Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2018 7:45:19 PM EDT
I originally posted it in GD but better to put it in the right place.

Its a late 64 early 65 so its a transitional gun but I picked it up for 400.00

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the time frame of manufacture, I think you got a good deal. Given that people do not consider them as desirable as collector guns, here are a couple of ideas to toss around.
A. Drill and tap the tang for a Marble's peep sight. (http://www.marblearms.com/standard-peep-tang-sight.html).
B. Consider having a gunsmith ream the chamber to the 30-30 Ackley Improved cartridge. You can still shoot factory ammo, and you have the added benefit of of roughly a 10-15% increase in velocity with a somewhat more efficient case.

At a bare minimum, get the peep sight. With my 60 year old eyes it really makes shooting my 30-30s a lot easier.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad you got it. Looks just like mine with patina.  I have a Williams peep on it but would love a repro Lyman 21.  Yours has the proper spot for it.  Just waitin on money for mine
https://www.buffaloarms.com/target-iron-sights/providence-tool-company/21-type-blued-receiver-sight-for-model-92-94s-ptcshortb
Ive never felt the need for any of the Ackley chambering.  If I wanted more speed Id pick something else.

Personally I think the transition period from 64 to 65 is the best of two era's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The Marbles tang sight is an excellent option.  You get a 26" sight radius, and the aperture sight will not only improve accuracy but will also help middle age eyes a lot.

My second choice would be a Lyman 56 or 66 rear sight.  The 56 is what the Model 94 was drilled and tapped for originally starting in 1963.  They are now hard to find, but the 66 is the modern equivalent.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't find a Marlin huh?

I'm kidding, nice pickup
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I admit, I'm a little jealous  ;)   See my recent thread about (not) picking one up for $650.

Good discussion here on sights.  My eyes really don't like the standard buckhorn sights but I hate to change the look and profile of the rifle with anything else.  I could probably go with the Marbles tang sight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
XS makes an aperture sight that goes in the receiver (top edge of the receiver on each side of the bolt) where there are already 2 holes drilled from the factory.  At least I think when I looked last, my newer 94 has them...  Maybe the old ones don't though...

Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The Model 94AE has them, the older top eject 94s do not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a 64.  It has some pre 64 parts still, like buttplate.  I put a Lyman tang site on it.  I love the Rifle.  Good buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top