Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2021 10:27:17 PM EDT
I'm going to post this here because there really isn't a good general ammo forum, or a collectible ammo forum.  Everything that would use this ammo is a C&R, too.

I was looking for an old S&W to buy as I knew this shop had some "gunsmith specials" in the case.  I decided to buy a .32 HE that probably really needed a cleaning more than fixing up, but could not come to an agreement about it (price was OK, but they would not take my C&R FFL and it wasn't an interesting enough deal to me to wait 2+ weeks for a background check).

Anyway...just above the messed up guns, they had some old ammo.  Including this:

I think the lube is shot.  : )

For $25, I decided what the heck!  Not sure if they'll clean up enough to risk trying to shoot them in a strong gun, but they really aren't very collectible in this condition either.  The box has 50 rounds even.  But 1 of them is a .32 RF Short!  One end flap is missing from the box, too.  I won't try them out in my Tip-up Model One-and-a-half!

Rob
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#1]
A nice box. Any cleaning I would start with a piece of T-shirt material to remove any oxidized lead. Be careful about any chemical cleaning on copper cases and heal type bullets. It will turn the copper to either an unnatural satin finish, or green. And can seep into the crimp and cause the ammo to become duds.

After removing lead corrosion, drip a bit of candle wax (parrifin) into another piece of t-shirt material and go over the bullets again. Should leave enough wax behind to help mitigate further lead corrosion.

Yes, I’ve inquired about a dedicated ammo collectors section, but did not get any good response on who to contact on the website to create a specific forum for the subject.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top