Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 1:21:17 PM EDT
Darn thing - Over the years I've seen a lot of possible bring backs that have met a similar fate.  Not sure what the fascination was with making things shiny back then?  

The bakelite grips are in awesome shape though.  

Mechanically it seems sound.

They polished the dirty bird right off on the frame behind the trigger.  Almost took the commercial markings off the side as well.  Glad they left the serial #.  

I need to find a magazine baseplate - as this one is made out of some sort of glue compound and electrical tape.  Surprisingly it's quite sturdy.

I might just search for another mag all together...  but this one is correct, which makes me sad.

I plan on taking it out tomorrow for a little spin around the range.

Not bad.  I'm into it for $250.  Figured that wasn't bad if it's a decent shooter.

Need to go practice my James Bond stance.

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
We had one of those in the shop back around '93. The trigger felt like you were pulling on a brick.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had one of those in the shop back around '93. The trigger felt like you were pulling on a brick.
View Quote
That is not unlike this one.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone ever used this stuff?

Nickel Stripper

I might just try it out...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you going to have it reblued after you strip the nickel off?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you going to have it reblued after you strip the nickel off?
View Quote
@backbencher

Pink Cerakote.

Would they remove all the blue to put the nickel on?  Would the Nickel stripper remove what was left if anything was under there?

I'd love to have it nice and pretty blue - but no one up here does hot blue anymore - and I don't want to spend a bunch on a pistol that has already lost it(s) value.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ha!  Deep blued guns are gorgeous.  Need to send off my wedding ring to have it deep blued.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, they buffed the hell out of that one.  Look how the stampings and pin holes are washed out.

You can do what ever you want with it, the value is already ruined.

MLG
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude, they buffed the hell out of that one.  Look how the stampings and pin holes are washed out.

MLG
View Quote
That's what I've been saying.

Just wondering if anyone has removed Nickel.

I know I'm not sitting on a gem - but I would like to make it look better.  I'm not a huge shiny fan.

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know I'm not sitting on a gem - but I would like to make it look better.  I'm not a huge shiny fan.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MLG

Rattle can it. If ever there was a Walther candidate for such abysmal treatment...
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, if you're going to carry it, i'd just get a new mag or baseplate and leave the finish alone.  The nickel will help protect from rust and if it gets scratched or beat up, it won't hurt since its already scratched and beat up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rattle can it. If ever there was a Walther candidate for such abysmal treatment...
View Quote
Krylon Walther.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW, if you're going to carry it, i'd just get a new mag or baseplate and leave the finish alone.  The nickel will help protect from rust and if it gets scratched or beat up, it won't hurt since its already scratched and beat up.
View Quote
This is probably the best idea.

Not sure if I'm smart enough to do it though.

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Honestly,  It probably looks like total shit underneath. I would leave it the way it is.  Look at the scratches all over it.  Might be in the metal underneath and showing through
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Use Brownell's Super Strip, the other stuff posted won't take off chrome, which this one is probably plated with.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/pre-finish-surface-prep/super-strip--prod20613.aspx
it's not a complicated process. I've done several like this one. After it's been cleaned of the plating, I then use Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to finish it. Then they look about right.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Use Brownell's Super Strip, the other stuff posted won't take off chrome, which this one is probably plated with.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/pre-finish-surface-prep/super-strip--prod20613.aspx
it's not a complicated process. I've done several like this one. After it's been cleaned of the plating, I then use Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to finish it. Then they look about right.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx
View Quote
Thanks!  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ha!  Deep blued guns are gorgeous.  Need to send off my wedding ring to have it deep blued.
View Quote
Is this actually possible?! obviously not a gold band, but I do wonder if someone makes a deep blue or CCH ring?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is this actually possible?! obviously not a gold band, but I do wonder if someone makes a deep blue or CCH ring?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ha!  Deep blued guns are gorgeous.  Need to send off my wedding ring to have it deep blued.
Trinity Ordnance cut down a .750" gas block for my wedding ring, and FW_wife was crazy enough to put it on my finger.  

There aren't many different sizes of gas blocks, so I got rather lucky.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for leaving it as is. I personally love nickel or chrome plated guns. You're probably only going to make the markings worse at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top