Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2022 10:57:57 PM EDT
Nice older gentleman had it for sale with a Savage bayonet, a sling and one box of S&B ammo for $495.  I have not done a detailed examination since bringing it home, but it appears to be all Savage and in very nice shape.  The 2-groove barrel is clean.  Overall it seems like a very nice example and is a variation I didn't have yet.

No one likes pictures, so I haven't taken any yet.  : )

I also bought a full case of GP11 7.5 Swiss from the same seller for a nice price.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just a noob, but you've been here one month shy of 20 years. Where are the pics OP?
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a score. And a good reason to venture to a fun show from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a great deal on both the Savage and the GP11!  I picked up a Savage about 17 years ago for $190, no bayo or sling and it is a great rifle.  Considering the prices of C&R's these days you did very well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a savage enfield for about 15-20 years.

I vividly recall buying it at a gun show out of a pile of surplus #4’s for 99 bucks with marching bayonet.
Shot it a ton then sold it for $400 a great rifle and got my fun out of it then a both buyer and seller happy when I re homed it at a great profit. Doesn’t get better than that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
OK...you guys talked me into it.

The bolt is unfortunately a mismatch, but it IS a Savage bolt.  It numbers about 40,000 units below the receiver (56C vs 60C).  The magazine is also a British make, but everything else looks to be Savage stamped.  The sling has no legible markings.  

EDIT:  forgot to mention the stacking rod that clearly doesn't belong there.  What's that from??

Any and all comments are welcome.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice. Will you take $500
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:EDIT:  forgot to mention the stacking rod that clearly doesn't belong there.  What's that from??
View Quote

IIRC those were from Turkey. They used stacking/piling rods on their No4 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the 303 ammo corrosive?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice score! Does it still have the US PROPERTY  Stamp. The wood is very nice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice score! Does it still have the US PROPERTY  Stamp. The wood is very nice.
View Quote

Yes, it is there on the angled flat.  Just doesn't show in the pic.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the 303 ammo corrosive?
View Quote

Nope.  1990s manufacture, non-corrosive, boxer primed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

IIRC those were from Turkey. They used stacking/piling rods on their No4 rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:EDIT:  forgot to mention the stacking rod that clearly doesn't belong there.  What's that from??

^ this.  Imports from Turkey.  That's the nicest one (import from Turkey) that I've seen, so I'm guessing somebody spent some elbow grease to clean it up a bit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#14]
That green box S&B .303 is good stuff. I still have a couple hundred rounds of it. Back 20 or so years ago when I got my Savage I was amazed how many parts were stamped with the Savage S. Easier to list what was not stamped than what was.

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You did ok, for a Turk import it's a nice one. They were $250ish bit more for US marked ten or so yrs ago. Dug through a bunch at local Big5 stores when they came in most were trashed but a few gems.

I would leave the Turk  stacking bar myself but you can remove and store in butt stock so it stays with rifle.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one, stupidly sold it. It was a great shooter! I could never get it to stop weeping cosmoline when shooting warmed it up! Good times!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top