Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2023 10:08:14 PM EDT
Decided it's finally time to retire Grandpa's old Coast to Coast .22 (basically a Marlin 60 I think) that I was given as a teenager. After a bit of research I decided on a S&W 15-22. I'm not looking to drive tacks, just need something that's capable of minute-of-rabbit accuracy and fun to shoot. I like the AR-15 layout, so this gun seemed like a logical choice.

It came with MBUS sights, but I topped it with a Sig Romeo MSR green dot.

I sighted it in straight out of the box, it ran the Eley ammo I had just fine. No hiccups of any kind, but I only shot about 50 rounds. Bolt locks open on empty mag as it should. Shot several 1-inch groups at 50 yards.

The trigger is better than I expected it to be. Typical amount of takeup, but is smooth and breaks cleanly. The takeup issue is easily resolved with an adjuster, and I'll probably put in some lighter springs to decrease the pull weight a bit.

I don't care for the safety selector. It's stiff, and doesn't click into the detents like a typical AR-15 selector. I haven't taken it apart to investigate, but what it feels like is that it's a little tight in the receiver. I'll check it out when I do the trigger, and update this post with my findings.

Overall, I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine, they are super fun rifles.  I'm planning on putting a LaRue MBT-2S trigger in mine but other than that and a Nikon scope it's all stock.  They are almost perfect out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
They are really cool guns.
Mine has had an interesting life for a $350 dollar gun.... SBR'd it, put a can on it, put a G trigger in it, Unity optics mount, Sig Romeo red dot, BCM gunfighter furniture....
And the most important part?
THIS....

Improved ejector. Thing will eat any damn cheap ammo I throw at it even suppressed.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
if you run into weak ignition, Bore Buddy makes a precision firing pin with a unique strike pattern.. it impacts just below the rim so the spherical indent does not have to indent the rolled edge of the cartridge like a traditional wedge firing pin
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are really cool guns.
Mine has had an interesting life for a $350 dollar gun.... SBR'd it, put a can on it, put a G trigger in it, Unity optics mount, Sig Romeo red dot, BCM gunfighter furniture....
And the most important part?
THIS....

Improved ejector. Thing will eat any damn cheap ammo I throw at it even suppressed.

View Quote

I want to SBR mine.

It’s been an absolutely fantastic rifle.

I have the same extractor, it’s fantastic & cheap.

Did you buy a tool to take off the handguard?

I’ve seen people make them, I ain’t doing that crap.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
if you get the hand guard tool and remove the barrel, remember that it comes out the back of the upper

at some point with a lot of shots, the magazines will groove where the cartridge rim wears and cause feed problems... 15-22s are very popular down here, with several friends that shoot Steel Challenge...  aftermarket support for SC competition is improving...if you get into fast shooting competition you might consider a Holosun 510c... I like green... regards
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been great, superior in my mind to the 10/22’s it replaced.

The safety will wear in just fine.

Doesn’t need aftermarket tinkering to run.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I put the bad-ass ambi safety in mine; and just put in mbt trigger last weekend.

McFadden mag loader is the best $ you can spend on a 15-22.
Loads almost as fast as you can shoot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve have 4 15/22s and they are hard to beat.  Not the most accurate rifles but function great.  I did the “free” sbr with my 15/22 pistol.  Some of my favorite plinkers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome plinker and small game guns. Probably want to pick up a reduced capacity magazine for dragging through the woods.

My brother has one that is fairly accurate, and has a pretty good trigger for a milspec AR pattern. Had some issues with firing/ejecting, was able to get it fixed up.

I really like the little thing. Super fun. Nice and compact even with a can on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine has been great, superior in my mind to the 10/22’s it replaced.

The safety will wear in just fine.

Doesn’t need aftermarket tinkering to run.

View Quote

Maybe it didn't NEED it, but I replaced the factory safety with a Bad Ass Pro. MUCH nicer now. And added a trigger adjuster to take up the extra creep, also much nicer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Install a binary and its the most gun fun you can have for under $1k.  I greatly prefer it to my lage 22 conversion for several reasons.  Biggest one is the mags are much easier to load.

Wish I had gotten the pistol version before the amnesty period start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top