Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2020 12:17:37 AM EDT
Don't know much about Mausers but this looked promising, hoping you all can shed some more light on it.  Swung by a small town hardware store while on a long drive yesterday and found this in the used rack on consignment for $350.  

The Good:
The front band, band spring, rear band, follower, magazine floorplate, takedown screws, bolt stop, handguard and stock all match the original German Serial number.  The handguard has both the serial number stamped and penciled in.  The stock is only penciled so may be a Norwegian replacement? Next to the penciled serial number it has several numbers scribbled over.  It looks to me like 2   41.  Were German stocks date coded? February 1941?

The Bad:
Previous owner removed the rear sight but it doesn't look bubba'd to me, just missing.  I left my phone number with the shop to give to the previous owner offering cash if he can dig it up.  Guess I'm looking for a U-notch rear sight and spring if that doesn't turn out.  

Buttplate is not matching, original serial number crossed out, restamped to match Norwegian serial number.  

Bolt is not matching anything, looks like a mix of serial numbers.  

Stock has a good ding in the finger rest.  

Questions:
AX date codes are apparently slightly scarce?  Is this still the case?  I found in a thread here from years ago where someone was asking for an AX 40 or 41 Norwegian K98 and said they had never seen one.  

Where might I find a replacement rear sight with U-notch?

What do these Norwegian guns bring?  I can't find any on gunbroker even searching completed auctions.  Would the AX code add anything?

Any significance to the XX183 over s marking on barrel?

Apologies for the cell phone pictures.  Link to full size pictures

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Score cool historical mauser.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking for a Norwegian 06 Mauser as I think they're cool rifles. That one is a beautiful looking rifle - for $350, I would have run out of that store with it and not looked back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell of a score at that price.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
$350?? Wtf!!

Why can I never find sick deals like that?

Nice score.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You stole that.

Not a commonly seen Mauser variant. 30 years + hard-core c&r collector and have never seen one in the wild.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The ax code is for Feinmechanische Werke GmbH, Erfurt, Thuringen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats OP!

Appreciate the photos.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed. Score. The Norwegians didn't worry about numbers when rebuilding.

I keep an eye out for those but, my FN1950 and Chilean 1912-61 are as close as I've gotten. I dig Mausers in US/Nato calibers.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I find it pretty funny they took time to mill a flat spot on the receiver,strike out the old serial, and made the 3006 cut but left the eagle and swastika alone with the original code.

Cool historical piece you got there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top