Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2018 8:52:03 PM EDT
Hey all. Got one of these recently. I've been reading the 37mm faqs and whatnot.

And good sources for ammo besides Exotic Ammo and American Specialty? I saw some CS on GunBroker as well.

Have many had good luck reloading?
Anything odd about these I need to be aware of?

Also. I made a standalone adapter, feel free to critique.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Fight the urge to check your wristwatch between "Thoomp" and "boom".
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You're thinking of reloading 37mm/40mm? Buy Grog's basic and advanced reloading manuals, on CD, right now. It's the best $75 you can spend on reloading supplies for 37/40mm launchers. I'll wait while you write him an e-mail: [email protected]

Okay, now that those are headed your way, ReloadableShells.com has the best aftermarket hulls there are. Basically anything else, you're going to need to use black powder and a bushing, and get to enjoy all the cleaning that involves. This 37mm hull, however, uses smokeless powder and more or less copies the high/low system of the 40mm. Pay attention to the measurements toward the bottom of that page, as I'm not certain what kind of chamber dimensions your Cobray has.

That's yet another good thing to be aware of... 37mm has no standard. There's no dimensional standard, there's no pressure standard, and not everything works together. That's less of a problem for an ordinary owner than an agency, but be aware trying to mix-and-match brands of launchers and factory ammo doesn't always work out.

And, of course, loading anything that is considered "anti-personnel", or even owning the ammo and the launcher, means you'd best have the launcher registered as a DD first. The CS rounds you were talking about take that from a signal launcher to a DD, as do batons and such.

Hopefully, that gets you started.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost bought a launcher this past weekend at a show but as I wasn't sure of the going rate for them I held off as I didn't want to get hosed.

Any suggested places to buy them?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're thinking of reloading 37mm/40mm? Buy Grog's basic and advanced reloading manuals, on CD, right now. It's the best $75 you can spend on reloading supplies for 37/40mm launchers. I'll wait while you write him an e-mail: [email protected]

Okay, now that those are headed your way, ReloadableShells.com has the best aftermarket hulls there are. Basically anything else, you're going to need to use black powder and a bushing, and get to enjoy all the cleaning that involves. This 37mm hull, however, uses smokeless powder and more or less copies the high/low system of the 40mm. Pay attention to the measurements toward the bottom of that page, as I'm not certain what kind of chamber dimensions your Cobray has.

That's yet another good thing to be aware of... 37mm has no standard. There's no dimensional standard, there's no pressure standard, and not everything works together. That's less of a problem for an ordinary owner than an agency, but be aware trying to mix-and-match brands of launchers and factory ammo doesn't always work out.

And, of course, loading anything that is considered "anti-personnel", or even owning the ammo and the launcher, means you'd best have the launcher registered as a DD first. The CS rounds you were talking about take that from a signal launcher to a DD, as do batons and such.

View Quote

I'm not opposed to form 1-ing it, if that covers me from going to jail.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Almost bought a launcher this past weekend at a show but as I wasn't sure of the going rate for them I held off as I didn't want to get hosed.

Any suggested places to buy them?
View Quote
I paid $100.

I remember passing them up @$200 and regretting it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
@pyotr_k

Thanks for the info. I read about Grogs manuals and will pick them up. Also thanks for the info on ReloadableShells. I remember seeing something about them in regards to there reloadable hand thrown smoke grenade. I'd like to stay away from blackpowder as much as possible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Happy to help. It's a great hobby, these days, and the variety of components and hulls available really makes experimenting easy. My personal favorite are those which use smokeless powder in a high/low system like the 40mm, and it sounds like you'd enjoy that best as well. Do measure your chamber and make sure the hull will fit, prior to ordering.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Happy to help. It's a great hobby, these days, and the variety of components and hulls available really makes experimenting easy. My personal favorite are those which use smokeless powder in a high/low system like the 40mm, and it sounds like you'd enjoy that best as well. Do measure your chamber and make sure the hull will fit, prior to ordering.
View Quote
I'll for sure check my chamber size before ordering. I really like the hull they make that takes a .45 case. Seems easier to reload to me. And I have like 30k .45 cases
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure if those are in current production, so if that's what you're most interested in, I'd give him a call or send an e-mail to see what the ETA is on them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if those are in current production, so if that's what you're most interested in, I'd give him a call or send an e-mail to see what the ETA is on them.
View Quote
Oh I see. You're right. They're at least not In Stock.

The one you linked to will do just fine for me too.

I might take on the task on making some casings for myself. I have a CNC lathe at work that sits 10 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Grab some used 40x46mm LV cases, those used in the M203, and study them right along with the explanations/photos on the CDs from Grog. You'll be able to easily design and machine your own cases, to use whatever size brass you want to use for the powder chamber. I stick with .38 short Colt as the usual M781 chalk round uses, just because I'm mostly set up to work with those.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Grab some used 40x46mm LV cases, those used in the M203, and study them right along with the explanations/photos on the CDs from Grog. You'll be able to easily design and machine your own cases, to use whatever size brass you want to use for the powder chamber. I stick with .38 short Colt as the usual M781 chalk round uses, just because I'm mostly set up to work with those.
View Quote
I have a spent M781 chalk case and round at home somewhere. I've seen some of Grog's images. Very thorough.

EDIT Is the Grog forum still active? I was looking at his site and it says registration is closed for the forum.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a spent M781 chalk case and round at home somewhere. I've seen some of Grog's images. Very thorough.

EDIT Is the Grog forum still active? I was looking at his site and it says registration is closed for the forum.
View Quote
Yes, absolutely still active! Just... small community, practically zero spam, and kept that way on purpose. When you're e-mailing him to get those reloading CDs, ask about setting up an account. From what I understand, that's all it really takes since he closed the automated registration.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely still active! Just... small community, practically zero spam, and kept that way on purpose. When you're e-mailing him to get those reloading CDs, ask about setting up an account. From what I understand, that's all it really takes since he closed the automated registration.
View Quote
Hopefully he'll be along to confirm.

I emailed him a while ago about it and didn't hear back, figured the forum was dead.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I post there fairly regularly, it's certainly still active.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Its active, just lower traffic.  Good info available there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I opened it for today. Too much spam from g mail... When you get bombarded with 50 false members a day, it's time to close membership. Stupid g mail.  GROG
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I can understand that, for certain! Free e-mail services in general led to a lower signal-to-noise ratio.

Much appreciate the temporary opening of the registration. I'll point that out to folks that have been asking me about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I opened it for today. Too much spam from g mail... When you get bombarded with 50 false members a day, it's time to close membership. Stupid g mail.  GROG
View Quote
Many thanks for doing that. I just registered.

I'll be bugging you soon about purchasing your manuals.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome.  Picked up one of the DSA launcher frames to Form1.  Was bummed your forum was closed.  Just registered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top