Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 4:36:02 PM EDT
I am considering a SBS build and have found a few pics of 12.5" 870's with the Magpul forends but none have shown me the details I am after.

I'd like to see how close the muzzle, mag tube cap and forend are to being flush with one another. In some pics it appears the forend is extending past the muzzle, is that the case? It doesn't appear to be an issue for those running one like that but maybe the pics I have seen are more of a camera angle or optical illusion?

I am also considering chopping down a vent rib barrel to 12.5" (just the look I am after). What are the chances the vent rib supports will line up with the muzzle for a clean flush look, Maybe you can see what I am after here? I don't love the look when the rib is cut way back on the barrel at the last available vent rib to barrel support... I might have to silver solder a new post at the muzzle to get the look I am after.

Anyhow, any pics would be greatly appreciated! I am really hoping to understand that relationship of the mag tube, muzzle and forend right at the end of the gun.

Thanks in advance-
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if this will help but here is what a Magpul forearm looks like on one of my basic 870 Express guns with factory ribbed barrel.  I've put the tape right at the end of the forearm fully extended.  I then show what it looks like with the action pulled back a bit.  Barrel length to the tape is right at 12-3/8".   Note that it is difficult to get a picture where the tape looks like it's square to the barrel.  In the pics it always looks like it is crooked but I assure you it is square when I'm looking at it straight on.

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The tape in this pic is right at 12.5".   The forearm goes just a tiny bit past the cap - like between 1/16" and 1/8"

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You're a hero, thank you. That really helps me out. It might be time to fabricate and turn down my own magazine tube nut to make everything flush how I'd like it.  I may let the vent rib idea die but I can see it in my mind and I think I gotta try.

Thanks again man, I appreciate you taking the time and effort!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You could "fix" the rib issue with something like the front sight below.  This shop can do that.  Probably others can as well.

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThomasGarcia] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yamadog35:
You could "fix" the rib issue with something like the front sight below.  This shop can do that.  Probably others can as well.

https://i.imgur.com/Nqc4Ju7.jpg
View Quote
That’s actually my shotgun. Josh Herring with Cotton Branch Customs did the work. He is the go-to guy for anything SBS! He can install a front sight post that will fix your vent rib dilemma.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ThomasGarcia:

That's actually my shotgun. Josh Herring with Cotton Branch Customs did the work. He is the go-to guy for anything SBS! He can install a front sight post that will fix your vent rib dilem
View Quote
I was going to talk to Josh about doing some work for me.  If you don't mind saying, how quick is his turn around on getting work done?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to talk to Josh about doing some work for me.  If you don't mind saying, how quick is his turn around on getting work done?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's actually my shotgun. Josh Herring with Cotton Branch Customs did the work. He is the go-to guy for anything SBS! He can install a front sight post that will fix your vent rib dilem
Took two to three weeks... but that was shortening an 870 down to about 10 inches, which required a lot more that just cutting the barrel down. I imagine your turnaround time would be much quicker if all you’re needing is the barrel cut down...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Took two to three weeks... but that was shortening an 870 down to about 10 inches, which required a lot more that just cutting the barrel down. I imagine your turnaround time would be much quicker if all you’re needing is the barrel cut down...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks like great work! I just got my stamp back and cut my 870 to 12.5 myself, might have to do something similar. Still making up my mind whether or not I'm going to have it threaded for chokes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:40:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuyTheCooler] [#11]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
I cut mine myself (very poorly) and Rose Action Sports cleaned it up and choked it.

I personally love the 12.5 with the Salvo even more than the 14".

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/BC8DE51E-6D51-45B4-B5E2-B2C4A834A7EF-1215703.jpg
View Quote
@norinco982lover

Does the salvo req the barrel to protrude past the mag cap or can it be flush/recessed a bit?

@buffman_lt1

Can you show a pic of the barrel end (lower the forend)?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By InsaneAuto86:

@norinco982lover

Does the salvo req the barrel to protrude past the mag cap or can it be flush/recessed a bit?

@buffman_lt1

View Quote
Hopefully this helps give you an idea.  The Salvo adapter here is for RemChokes.  This is on my 14" 870 Marine SBS.

Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By InsaneAuto86:

@norinco982lover

@buffman_lt1

View Quote
Sorry just saw this. Not sure why the tag didn't work
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXJGP90] [#15]
Do you happen to know what sight manufacture they used? That looks like a Trijicon but not sure. I’m looking to do something similar.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamadog35] [#16]
Originally Posted By TXJGP90:
Do you happen to know what sight manufacture they used? That looks like a Trijicon but not sure. I'm looking to do something similar.

View Quote
Trijicon Trak-Lock
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThomasGarcia] [#17]
Originally Posted By TXJGP90:
Do you happen to know what sight manufacture they used? That looks like a Trijicon but not sure. I’m looking to do something similar.

View Quote

That is my 870 in the photo you hyperlinked. The sights are manufactured by Scattergun Technologies... Trijicon installs tritium inserts and rebrands them. I recently changed up the furniture for a more tactical look:
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#18]
Attachment Attached File

Here’s my 870 with 12.5” and magpul forend. Lmk if you need a different pic/angle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I cut a Wingmaster down to 12.25" (4 round magazine).  I cut it at the nearest rib.  I also put a Magpul forend on it.  Not sure where to host photos anymore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By djturnz:
I cut a Wingmaster down to 12.25" (4 round magazine).  I cut it at the nearest rib.  I also put a Magpul forend on it.  Not sure where to host photos anymore.
View Quote

Wingmaster SBS
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By djturnz:

Wingmaster SBS
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top