Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If you watch the video that BPT1775 did, you can see the size of the illuminator at 200 - 500 yards. Watch the size of the illumination on the large tree - I think at 400 yards. You can pretty much imagine the FOV from your PVS 22/30 or NV scope. It looks like under 100 yards with the cover on is ideal - IMO. Looked a bit small at 200, but fingers crossed adequate sized beyond that. Of course so much of it depends on what scope and magnification your using.

I plan on trying it with both a Raptor 4X and PVS22 in front of an S&B 3x12 PMII.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I did watch that one and I thought he mentioned that it didn't focus as tight as a peq. With the Luna I usually crank it down to about a 5 mil circle to keep from illuminated tall grass in the foreground.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
REMOVED
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

it doesnt focus down to a pinpoint dot like the peqs do BUT its damn sure bright enough at 500 yds.  I PROMISE THAT.
View Quote
I have no doubt that it's bright enough. Where I'm unsure is if it will focus down enough to illuminate only what I want, too much spill in front makes the target impossible to see.

Where I shoot at night time is facing a bad direction. Lots of big city light polution on the horizon and steel targets on the dark side of my backstop isn't ideal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember you have intensity/brightness control as well. That should help tremendously in clarifying your target. You can illuminate to the level you need, which should help with flash back.

It looked plenty tight to me in the video.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
How is the perst turned all the way down low indoors?

And I can’t catch the Klesh in stock to save my life......
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Works, but too bright IMO. One of my minor gripes with it. It would work though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Works, but too bright IMO. One of my minor gripes with it. It would work though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at Black Phase Tactical's YouTube video, he showed some footage with a diffuser cap on. It looked great at short range. Kind of like a Vampire, but better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried the PERST3 last night. Its about 100+ degree spill and 25 yard limit with flood filter on illuminator. Set maximum wide with filter off, its good to 200+ yards easy. Kind of limited beam spread options, IMO. Unmagnified, diffuser off, prefer full wide which is still a bit too narrow. No need to bring down the beam width without magnification outside 200y, IMO.

With my filmless white L3 tube the pointer is clearly not as round as a DBAL and more bar or oval shaped and MUCH more defined than in the videos.

Pointer minimum setting on PERST3 is same brightness as HI on my DBALi2 but DBAL is round and defined, vs a bar/oval point. ELIR focused to a point is brighter than PERST3, but 5X larger bloomy dot. You dont need more than one click from minimum on PERST3 even with full power illuminator full width. Higher pointer settings are strictly for when the illuminator is max and focused down IMO. Otherwise it just gives a less precise aim point.

PERST3 is awesome 1-25 yards flood filter on.  Awesome 50-200 yards wide beam filter off. Its kind of narrow and needs to be turned down a bit 25-50 yards. An LED based illuminator is better due to width at 25-50 yards IMO
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tried the PERST3 last night. Its about 100+ degree spill and 25 yard limit with flood filter on illuminator. Set maximum wide with filter off, its good to 200+ yards easy. Kind of limited beam spread options, IMO. Unmagnified, diffuser off, prefer full wide which is still a bit too narrow. No need to bring down the beam width without magnification outside 200y, IMO.

With my filmless white L3 tube the pointer is clearly not as round as a DBAL and more bar or oval shaped and MUCH more defined than in the videos.

Pointer minimum setting on PERST3 is same brightness as HI on my DBALi2 but DBAL is round and defined, vs a bar/oval point. ELIR focused to a point is brighter than PERST3, but 5X larger bloomy dot. You dont need more than one click from minimum on PERST3 even with full power illuminator full width. Higher pointer settings are strictly for when the illuminator is max and focused down IMO. Otherwise it just gives a less precise aim point.

PERST3 is awesome 1-25 yards flood filter on.  Awesome 50-200 yards wide beam filter off. Its kind of narrow and needs to be turned down a bit 25-50 yards. An LED based illuminator is better due to width at 25-50 yards IMO
View Quote
Have you used it with a magnified optic? For instance, I run a clip-on in front of a 4-14x scope, and usually set my ELIR-3 to where it's just barely larger than the scope's FOV at 4x. That way it lights up everything I can see at lowest magnification. If I want to zoom in I can. If I need to tighten the beam for something far away, I can. But that's where it stays most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
REMOVED
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my -2 in today.

It looks like the light is 720+-50 lux, not lumens.

Other than that, and the dirty output, it is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got my -2 in today.

It looks like the light is 720+-50 lux, not lumens.

Other than that, and the dirty output, it is awesome.
View Quote
That's the one that I'm curious about. Any chance you can post some pics of it mounted?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure how I am going to mount it.  On the left side on on AR I find the controls a little low.  Top is great unless you have a fixed FSB.

I think if it ends up on a 7 inch rail with FSB, it would go on the right side and use a tape switch.  If it were a longer rail w/o FSB, it would go on the top with out a tape switch.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks. Since all my AR's have FSB's, top mounted would be out with a Perst-2. Does look nice on the side though. I really like my PEQ2, but I may have found it's replacement after all these years.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

excellent comments. I for one appreciate it.

the statement that the dot is FAR more refined than the video shows is exactly what I needed a 3rd party to speak on.

the diffuser cap ON will provide you a TON of light easily 50 yds out on a dark night. easily. the thing is a horsepower house.
View Quote
It may do 50 yards on a dark night, but in a light polluted urban environment, like where I work, if you want to see into apartment porch areas and balcony areas, the limit is 25y. I can certainly see where you could use it to 50y under a forest canopy,  in a warehouse, etc. but still think 50y is pushing it. PERST3 full power with diffuser on has half the range of my DBAL i2 civy illuminator at its brightest, tightest setting. That's the best comparison I can make.  The light tapers off really fast due to beam width. At 15 yards its SUPER bright, at 25 its just OK, and at 35 you have a hard time telling it was turned on... you can, but it does not really add anything... in a light polluted area. Im sure being blind vs seeing everything dimmly but but clearly is a huge benefit in pitch black places so dark your NODS don't work.

Beam width and quality with diffuser on cannot be overstated.  You do not need to point your weapon at everything you want to light up. You can be muzzle below horizon and pan 30 degrees left or right and see everything to the sides with your head on a swivel and both first and second floor patio/balconies at the same time. You could aim at 2nd floor and light up the first and third at 15-20 yards.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you used it with a magnified optic? For instance, I run a clip-on in front of a 4-14x scope, and usually set my ELIR-3 to where it's just barely larger than the scope's FOV at 4x. That way it lights up everything I can see at lowest magnification. If I want to zoom in I can. If I need to tighten the beam for something far away, I can. But that's where it stays most of the time.
View Quote
My ELIR poduces a bunch of rings at a setting tighter than scope FOV. I have not tried the PERST3 with magnification yet, nor compared front side signature.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My ELIR poduces a bunch of rings at a setting tighter than scope FOV. I have not tried the PERST3 with magnification yet, nor compared front side signature.
View Quote
Clean it. Mine had a bunch of artifacts and I used to hate it. I finally figured out it was just dust or something on it. I used a rocket blower to blow it out, wipe the lens off with a Q tip and some anti fog, then blow it off again with the rocket blower. Got rid of the circles/artifacts. Just needs cleaning periodically.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#20]
PERST 2 in hand and I have to say I am damn impressed right off the bat. The biggest concern I had was the center mount white light and if it would clear the AK105 FSB and it does
No shadows from the FSB and the throw is decent

I'm taking the 105 hunting this weekend and will try to get some photos and maybe video of the PERST under NV
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it worth to pay for the extra shipping from Ivan tactical? Really wanna jump the gun on it
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it worth to pay for the extra shipping from Ivan tactical? Really wanna jump the gun on it
View Quote
Probably since you're in CA.  It doesn't seem to speed up the process in Russia, but it took a week less once it got to NY.  2 weeks instead of 3 to NV
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
Probably since you're in CA.  It doesn't seem to speed up the process in Russia, but it took a week less once it got to NY.  2 weeks instead of 3 to NV
View Quote
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I placed an order on the 19th with express shipping and it still hasn't gotten to America yet.... Not for anything laser related, either.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in FL, the fast shipping and the slow shipping took about the same time for me.

Main difference was that the declared value was $25 on the cheap shipping, and the real price on the "fast" shipping.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Purchased on June 19th with the faster shipping. Tracking says it left Russia on the 24th. No update since. Apparently how quickly it clears customs is luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn thanks for the replies guys, I’ll just choose the regular shipping and save a little on the costs. I was debating buying from Ivan tactical or black phase tactical but I’ll go with Ivan for the cost savings.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not the cost savings it appears to be. Once you factor in the exact conversion rate. I even had my cc company charge extra for an international purchase, which pissed me off. And then the shipping rate, whichever you choose...

I bought at Ivan Tac because it showed in stock and was hoping to get it quickly - 1 to 2 weeks. If I was doing it today I'd just buy from BPT and let them worry about it clearing customs, especially if it's going to be the same wait time.

It's the service/warranty question that's never really been answered that concerns me the most.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
REMOVED
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#29]
When I get a 3, I'll go BPT - any extra is well worth just dealing with a US seller for shipping, problems, etc.. And I'm sure it will be QC'd by him in regards to appearance and operation etc... It's not like your paying 100s extra. Sometimes the "best" deal, isn't the smartest deal in the end. Thanks for going through the process to become a dealer BPT :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I need to stop coming into this thread.  For those who have used the perst 3 with a clip-on and magnified optic, will this legitimately illuminate out to 1000 yd on say a IPSC plate?  A couple of my illuminators start running out of gas around 600 yd so I am thinking about picking one of these up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I need to stop coming into this thread.  For those who have used the perst 3 with a clip-on and magnified optic, will this legitimately illuminate out to 1000 yd on say a IPSC plate?  A couple of my illuminators start running out of gas around 600 yd so I am thinking about picking one of these up.
View Quote
Hah, same reason I keep coming in here. Ugh. Just don't have the cash to spend on one. Wish I could get my hands on one to do some through the scope footage. Would help people like me and you. Lol
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I posted this in whiskers thread but it bears repeating here

First impressions of PERST 2 are extremely good. Simple controls, reasonably good throw on the white light (about 100 yards or so). Laser is nice, weight is decent for the size but on the AK105 with ZenitCo and a suppressor it is decidedly front heavy. Best news for me is that the white light isn't blocked by the AK FSB. It casts a shadow yes, but way below the white light hot spot so it doesn't obscure the target. I haven't worked through all the features yet but it was easy to figure out most of them just by pressing buttons

The IR illum without filter is unbelievably bright and has an insane ability to adjust the focus almost as tight as the laser. On the wider setting we were getting some level of illumination out to 400m and the laser itself was well over a mile. The PERST 2 illum is by far the most powerful out there and even the MAWL can't quite keep up. It's like PERST adopted Spinal Tap's volume 11

With the filter on the illum is great for short range glow to light up the inside of a room. Brighter than the MAWLs equivalent indoor setting but not overpowering. Good for about 30 feet I'd estimate but we had a nearly full moon and it could have been washing out the PERST illum

Only weird thing is the illuminator won't stay on full power for more than about 50 seconds. It starts to dim and then fades out completely but the battery isn't dead and the laser stays on the whole time even when the illum fades out. If you give it a few seconds it will come back full power again but fade out in 50 seconds or so. It's not over heating, the unit remains cool to the touch

I'm not sure what to say about the illum fade out but otherwise I am really impressed right off the bat. Time will tell if the fade out is a problem but I suspect it's really part of the design. I doubt it's intended to push maximum output continuously like that but we'll see

Next to the DBAL A4

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Does perst 2 come with an 18650? If so can you post a pic or the specs of the battery
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine came with 2 batteries. I don't see any specs on the battery itself but here's a photo

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Yup, 2 batteries and a charger.

It is shorter than a Surefire rechargeable.  I think the Perst-2 won't work with the longer batteries.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:00:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It is shorter than a Surefire rechargeable.  I think the Perst-2 won't work with the longer batteries.
View Quote
I think the longer 18650s are the "protected" cells? Usually things that can take both, have long cap springs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only weird thing is the illuminator won't stay on full power for more than about 50 seconds. It starts to dim and then fades out completely but the battery isn't dead and the laser stays on the whole time even when the illum fades out. If you give it a few seconds it will come back full power again but fade out in 50 seconds or so. It's not over heating, the unit remains cool to the touch
View Quote
Sounds like a lot of high lumen lights that run in "Turbo" mode, but then step down after "X" minutes - odd that it turns completely off though...unless it's saving your $1700

Thanks for the report!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
PERST 4 arrived today

This will be dedicated to my 9mm KR-9
Green laser + IR laser no illuminator but that's fine, I have an IR illum on my helmet. I wanted a small footprint specifically for the KR-9

Best of all, the new IPSC Lab gas tub left side charging handle still works and still locks open ala MP5 style

Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mine came with 2 batteries. I don't see any specs on the battery itself but here's a photo

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20190716_223937-1019008.jpg
View Quote
That’s a Panasonic 3500mAh 10A, very good battery.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#40]
What do you have to push on the perst 2 to get white light?
Can you switch from IR/illum/laser to white light with one push of a button? Or do you have to rotate switches ect.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can you switch from IR/illum/laser to white light with one push of a button? Or do you have to rotate switches ect.
View Quote
You turn the dial clockwise 2 positions.
Push either button (top or back)

To switch modes requires turning the dial.

Light + Laser
Light
Laser
Off
Ir Laser
Ir Illum
IR Laser + Illum

Set to the off position.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#42]
How do you like that A4 compared to the Perst 2 and the MAWL? Whats your thoughts on all 3?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How do you like that A4 compared to the Perst 2 and the MAWL? Whats your thoughts on all 3?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's a tough one

The MAWL so much better than my DBAL A3 it's like night and day different (and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it) but PERST 2 is damn amazing. I can't get over the IR on the PERST. It's just crazy bright

Haven't had any IR time with the A4 yet so can't say much about it other than it's yuuuuuge
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sounds like a lot of high lumen lights that run in "Turbo" mode, but then step down after "X" minutes - odd that it turns completely off though...unless it's saving your $1700

Thanks for the report!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the report!
I don't seem to be having this happen to me.  I just ran a test with the IR illum for 3 minutes, and the light/laser for 3 minutes.  No shut off.

Now I used the IR illum in the rain, so if it dimmed I might not have noticed, but it did not shut off or fade away completely.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You turn the dial clockwise 2 positions.
Push either button (top or back)

To switch modes requires turning the dial.

Light + Laser
Light
Laser
Off
Ir Laser
Ir Illum
IR Laser + Illum

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58648/20190708_222252-1009351.jpg

Set to the off position.
View Quote
Dam that sucks do any of the other perst use 18650?
I could always use the perst 2 and still
Use a separate white light having instant access to white light I consider a must.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't seem to be having this happen to me.  I just ran a test with the IR illum for 3 minutes, and the light/laser for 3 minutes.  No shut off.

Now I used the IR illum in the rain, so if it dimmed I might not have noticed, but it did not shut off or fade away completely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the report!

That's good to hear. If you had the problem you would notice it around the 45 second mark and it would be completely off at about 60 to 70 seconds

Mine did it with both batteries but I'm not sure either one was fully charged. I just left one on the charger for 24 hours so I'm going to test again in a bit to see
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, it is possible when Perst 2 has remote switch connected. When you push the rear button, IR laser and illuminator switches to visible light and green laser.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what to say about the illum fade out but otherwise I am really impressed right off the bat. Time will tell if the fade out is a problem but I suspect it's really part of the design. I doubt it's intended to push maximum output continuously like that but we'll see
View Quote
I had the same issue with my Perst 2 #0018 (or #0019 - I don't remember) bought on Ebay. Illuminator began to fade within 20 seconds. Dmitryi Shamin for ebay Zenitco sent me new one (#0039) as replacement. So far, it is working flawlessly. 1 Watt TO18 laser diode at high current is generating a mass of heat and needs a good heat sink. In Perst 2 and 3, heat sink (in fact, two part, cylindrical shaped diode mount)  is plastic/nylon. Good quality diode will withstand constant overheat, cheap one - not. Here is the answer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had the same issue with my Perst 2 #0018 (or #0019 - I don't remember) bought on Ebay. Illuminator began to fade within 20 seconds. Dmitryi Shamin for ebay Zenitco sent me new one (#0039) as replacement. So far, it is working flawlessly. 1 Watt TO18 laser diode at high current is generating a mass of heat and needs a good heat sink. In Perst 2 and 3, heat sink (in fact, two part, cylindrical shaped diode mount)  is plastic/nylon. Good quality diode will withstand constant overheat, cheap one - not. Here is the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback on your experience, that's almost exactly the same issue I am having. Mine is #0016

I'll contact IvanTactical and see about getting it replaced. I love the Perst 2, it's a damn good laser
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love the Perst 2, it's a damn good laser
View Quote
Agree. Had the DBAL A3 and sold it just after Perst 3 purchase. Then, without hesitation I bought Perst 2. BTW - Dmitryi sent me replacement BEFORE delivery the damaged one to him.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top