Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2018 9:19:25 PM EDT
Have a large pelican and love it, but I wasucky enough to get it for $100 barely used.

Curious what cheaper alternatives there are, want to pick a strong, water tight hardcase for storing a rifle, pistol, and mags/ammo at a weekend house. Pad lock wholes would also be needed too.

I know Harbor Freight has some nice Pelican knock off, but I've never seen them in rifle size.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I got this Plano caseand am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The link doesn't work, but  pretty sure I'm looking at it on Amazon.
I didn't know Plano started making sturdy cases, everything I've seen from them would melt in the sun.

Might have to order one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know Plano started making sturdy cases, everything I've seen from them would melt in the sun.

Might have to order one.
View Quote
Hmm works when I click on it.  Search for Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case, 42-Inch. They offer a lot of different sizes. It's very sturdy and well built. I'll be buying more of them.

Try this link

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Tactical-Case-42-Inch/dp/B00E2217I6/ref=pd_aw_sim_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KP1ARWBP2K3ZFVQQWAJC&tag=viglink1659178-ar15-20#nav-search-keywords

For some reason it takes me to the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you search around, and are patient, you can pick them up for around $50.  I have about 10 of them at this point.  Very good cases for the money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I want a good pelican style case. Going to have it set up as a NFA toy box.

Waiting on 2 more stamps, but would like one I could fit the following in.

1- 4” 10/22 SBR
1- 10” 5.56 AR SBR
1- 12” I think 870 SBS
1- M11/9
1- 22LR AR SBR

Possibly an integeral 10/22 if there is room.

Suggestions on size?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you search around, and are patient, you can pick them up for around $50.  I have about 10 of them at this point.  Very good cases for the money.
View Quote
I was lucky and my local tractor supply place had them on sale for around $50.  Unfortunately I got the last one they had.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Might have to order one.
View Quote
I have a plano case much like that one but the latches are more like the pelican case style.

It's as bulletproof as one can want for what I paid (~$100 from the bargain cave at Cabelas).  I've have pelican cases, and in my usage, I would not get better service from the more expensive option.  That case rode in the back of my truck, over dirt roads, with other crap piled on top of it for close to a year in one stint.  Outside got dusty and beat up.  Inside as clean as a whistle and still very serviceable.

I'm a "buy the best you can afford" kind of guy because I've learned to buy once, cry once.  But this one surprised the hell out of me.  It looked sturdy at the store when I looked at it.  I wasn't wrong.

Now, if you are going to be using it in a marine environment or flying constantly....I can't comment on it's durability.  But for a dust-proof, truck bed filled with crap, bouncing over dirt roads, getting rained or snowed on kind of thing.....perfect.

It's this model: Plano Field Locker Rifle Case  http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/rifle/field-locker-mil-spec-single-long-gun-case

Amazon Product
  • Made of highest quality material
  • Manufacturer: Plano
  • Plano MS field locker single long gun case black

Sorry, my hot-link button doesn't stay hot-linked after I post for some reason.  

Also comes in 2 gun size

Amazon Product
  • Cut to fit foam
  • Extra wide latches;Tactical gun case has a pressure release valve that equalizes pressure
  • Premium quality and durability

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Storm cases as well, but they are owned by Pelican and the price reflects that. The Plano guns cases are a great, affordable alternative. Just make sure you get the sturdy ones, not the cheap, $20 ones that will melt in the sun.

I picked up mine for $50 on Amazon. They are currently around $65
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like Storm cases as well, but they are owned by Pelican and the price reflects that. The Plano guns cases are a great, affordable alternative. Just make sure you get the sturdy ones, not the cheap, $20 ones that will melt in the sun.

I picked up mine for $50 on Amazon. They are currently around $65
View Quote
Biggest difference between storm and Pelican are the latches for the lid. I greatly prefer the storm cases as the Pelican double latch style can really fuck up your fingers.  Storms have a nice button you pushand hold in to lift the latch.

But take this as someone who's got many of both (all pulled from dumpsters for the most part). Both have lifetime warranties and if you break something they'll send you replacement parts. Have a few cases at work that were really badly damaged in shipping (like latches broken off or the mounting bosses ground off due to being dragged on their side). Will be submitting the warranty ticket for them soon and I'm interested to see how they handle it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Seahorse makes some nice cases
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want a good pelican style case. Going to have it set up as a NFA toy box.

Waiting on 2 more stamps, but would like one I could fit the following in.

1- 4" 10/22 SBR
1- 10" 5.56 AR SBR
1- 12" I think 870 SBS
1- M11/9
1- 22LR AR SBR

Possibly an integeral 10/22 if there is room.

Suggestions on size?
View Quote
Fwiw ditch the pluck and fit foam. None of my cases are custom cut. My small Plano carbine case fits 2 M4s, 2 sidearms, and 2 PVS-31 with no issue. Have a Pelican case that was issued but I still prefer my Plano over it.  It's lighter, more comfortable in the hand, and does just as good of a job. Have flown all over the world with it on .Civ and .mil flights. Not gonna lie. Your guns will knock into each other unless you pack clothes around them. I don't care because these are issued. But when I fly with my personal guns I pass the spaces with rolled up shirts or socks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#12]
@K1rodeoboater

What size case do you have?

I was planning on getting one and cutting everything out with a knife to make it fit.

Wish someone made a computer program that would allow you to pick the size of a case based off a drag and drop gun  silhouette list.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@K1rodelboater

I was planning on getting one and cutting everything out with a knife to make it fit.

Wish someone made a computer program that would allow you to pick the size of a case based off a drag and drop gun  silhouette list.
View Quote
You could lay everything out as you would like it arranged in the case and measure how much space it will take up. I'm sure we could help you locate the correct size case.

ETA:  The foam is .75"x.75" blocks is that helps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@K1rodeoboater

View Quote
Pretty sure this is it

Custom cut foam cases look cool...but they are incredibly space inneficient.

If you do want to cut it to fit then make a quick and dirty hot knife
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's the one I have to.

No complaints.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I got my for around $40-50 ish several years ago around Xmas on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Sam's has Chinese Pelicans.

90% as nice, 33% of the price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out RTIC, good overall product for the price.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/hard-cases/RTIC-14-Medium-Carrying-Case-Black
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]
For handguns I've used MCM waterproof cases.  They're pretty nice. I've got a small solar powered cross band ham radio repeater built into another one.

MCM 16 INCH CASE

Folks are right through they take up a ton of space.   I really have used mine other than the repeater since I left California in 2016
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have the 36", used it during the eclipse last year on a trip to a particular hidden point of totality. Swamped the canoe twice over 6 days, not a drop of water got in. 60 bucks Walmart free shipping, would Fo again no doubt. Full disclosure I own many pelicans and I am collecting more of the harbor freight cases, they have held up great, never mind the price. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a Craigslist app and keyword Pelican, I get smokin deals all the time, ADD hipsters get tired of them quickly around here.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have the 36", used it during the eclipse last year on a trip to a particular hidden point of totality. Swamped the canoe twice over 6 days, not a drop of water got in.
View Quote
@Donwe
I haven't had mine in the rain or anything like that. Good to know it holds up as advertised. Did the case float? Or did you have it tied down?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@Donwe
I haven't had mine in the rain or anything like that. Good to know it holds up as advertised. Did the case float? Or did you have it tied down?
View Quote
It was tied down under a bungee net. A foot of it was under water after I hit a rock because I was fighting a pig smallmouth. Next time I will do pistol in a dry bag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
AR pistol that is. Case is stupid ridiculous for a canoe loadout but getting thrown around in the truck bed it is also excellent.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I like my Patriot Case.  It was setup as a 3 gun carry case, but they use a closed cell foam that seems like its a lot more durable and holds up better.  The case itself is a SKB if I remember right.  I haven't submerged it, but it has been on a few plane flights and no issues minus some random dings from getting thrown around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top