Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 3:29:56 PM EDT
I'm considering purchasing a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle.  It will be my first foray into black powder rifles.  Is this a good rifle for general plinking and what caliber would you suggest (45 or 50)?  My intent is to purchase factory new and not a kit.  Any other suggestions of thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d go .50

Learn to clean it properly I use the hot water method and clean it immediately after I get home from shooting. My biggest pet peeve is picking up a nice rifle and it be covered in rust from careless improper cleaning
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it have a swamped barrel? I had a Pedersoli flintlock with a regular barrel it was a good shooting rifle, and very well made, but I had one built with a swamped barrel and never picked the Pedersoli back up, the swamped barrel shifted the balance point back, and really made it a pleasure to hold on target.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it have a swamped barrel? I had a Pedersoli flintlock with a regular barrel it was a good shooting rifle, and very well made, but I had one built with a swamped barrel and never picked the Pedersoli back up, the swamped barrel shifted the balance point back, and really made it a pleasure to hold on target.

View Quote

I had to google what a swamped barrel was.  It does not mention it on the product description, so my guess is that it does not have a swamped barrel.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Not swamped.  The Kaintuck is a slightly fancier version of the Frontier.  Some years back the Hatfield company stopped making their frontloaders themselves and had Pedersoli do it.  The Frontier is the same as the Hatfield.  I have several Pedersoli' and love them.  Of factory made guns these are the hign end ones.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
50 caliber projectiles seem far more available than other sizes in my experience.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll probably order the 50 cal version.  Who knows when it will get here....it says they will have to backorder it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I'll probably order the 50 cal version.  Who knows when it will get here....it says they will have to backorder it.
View Quote

If you want to shoot patched round balls make sure the twist rate is appropriate vs. the twist rate meant for unpatched conical bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top