Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2021 6:37:10 PM EDT
Remington-Marlin 336ss, used/great condition except for a few minor scuffs on the left side of the receiver, paid $699+tax.  Only photo I have at the moment.  Need to get my workbench cleaned off so I can get some proper photos of it.

Attachment Attached File

She's an absolute beauty in person. The wood grain looks amazing.  Haven't been able to find any serial number decoders that might tell me the manufacture date, and Ruger has said they're not taking any calls/support requests/etc regarding pre-Ruger rifles so it'd probably be a waste of time calling them about it.

I've been wanting a lever gun for years, with my preference being a Marlin 30-30 because my brother has gold trigger/JM-stamped version that I really liked deer hunting with.  If I'm not mistaken, the below gun is also a Reminton-Marlin, so the same non-JM-stamped rifle I have, and it's bid up to 1075 right now leading me to believe I didn't do too bad on this one.  Personally, I think the wood on mine looks much better than theirs.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910523339

So...how'd I do, and what'd I get myself in to?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, you did well
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
In don't think you got hurt. I had mine rechambered to .356Win. I love it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems like a lifetime ago, but I still remember pawn shops have lots of 336s & 94s lever actions about for $250-$350 before all the COVID Craziness...  But that was THEN...

Your 336 is definitely a Beauty in every way - but still hard for me to get my head wrapped around those prices...

Enjoy it & Good Shooting!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well done sir, that's a beautiful gun

Please post up a range report...
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It wasn't the Covid craziness, it was when Remington bought Marlin and moved the factory. When they tried to put the manufacturing lines back together the guns produced had many flaws. So many that there are rumors of the Marlin employees - who were losing their jobs - sabotaged the equipment and jigs. Remington decided to convert the designs of all the guns to CAD/CAM and use CNC to produce the parts rather than try to get the existing jigs to produce good guns. They just ran out of time and had only made a few thousand lever actions rifles total when they went Bankrupt. Then the new equipment and CAD/CAM designs were bought by Ruger and they still haven't got the new line setup to produce rifles yet after moving it all to Arizona.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great! I have one just like it, put synthetic stock/forearm on it and it is my wet weather LAR! Clean it and go shoot it, Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh my! I missed the part about it not being a JM stamped gun....

Your screwed now, you might as well try to sell it to another unsuspecting buyer...;)
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your screwed now, you might as well try to sell it to another unsuspecting buyer...;)
View Quote

Mine is a late model Remlin and so far it's been pretty good. That's why it got rechambered. Fit and finish is a little better than my JM. Just not as smooth.

I don't have quite as much in as OP for the gun price but a bit more after sending it to be rechambered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
A stainless 336 would have made me twitch a little bit.  The lack of JM stamp has kept me away, but may change.  I bought a blued 336 last year in the heat of the  insanity for $325 out the door, so I am not sure I would have sprung for as much as OP did.  A previous 336 I bought for $200 in the backpage days, sold it for $350.

I don't particularly favor the pistol grip stocks, so that is another thing that would have made me pause.

In the mid-months of the plandemic, this JM no-safety 1950's era 336 Texan was $550 on gunjoker with not a single bid.  I found the guy was in PHX and simply emailed him and bought it face to face, no fees, no BS.  I sold the Lyman peep that was on it to an arfcommer, so it was actually a little cheaper.

So, OP, if you are happy with your rifle, then you got a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It wasn't the Covid craziness, it was when Remington bought Marlin and moved the factory. When they tried to put the manufacturing lines back together the guns produced had many flaws. So many that there are rumors of the Marlin employees - who were losing their jobs - sabotaged the equipment and jigs. Remington decided to convert the designs of all the guns to CAD/CAM and use CNC to produce the parts rather than try to get the existing jigs to produce good guns. They just ran out of time and had only made a few thousand lever actions rifles total when they went Bankrupt. Then the new equipment and CAD/CAM designs were bought by Ruger and they still haven't got the new line setup to produce rifles yet after moving it all to Arizona.I'm
View Quote
I'm no metal expert, so I'm not sure how to tell if my rifle was before or after they switched to CNC.  All the serial decoders I can find apply to the old/original marlins, like if your serial starts with M it was made in 1955 or something like that.  My serial starts with M but I know it's a remarlin model made within the last decade.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
As much as I'd like a JM-stamped model, the only reason I considered this one was because I was 99% sure it was a late model/CNC'd remarlin and wouldn't have the issues they were known for when Reminton first started producing them.  Might be a weekend or two before I get out on the property to shoot it, but I am very pleased with the fit and finish so far.  Solid gun, functions great, and looks incredible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Its a very nice looking lever, great find!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top