Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2018 2:42:58 PM EDT
Have any of you ever shot using a 1-4 Spectre DR on 1x and aimed through the optic like you can with say an Eotech?

I’ve never really had a problem shooting with a head mounted NOD using an Eotech or Aimpoint for aiming, if I take my time. I’m curious though how an Elcan would do. I have a laser for aiming but I am mostly interested in how the Elcan would do in this role.

Any one have any experience?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience, I only know my buddy, who was issued one, didn't like it, and uses an EOTech instead.

My assumption would be that it would be comparable in height to an EOTech, so any riser used to get one of those up would be comparable to an Elcan.

I don't know how the magnification would work in front of NV?  Might really cut down on the FOV.  I would assume you would want 1x for passive NV.  And need a taller mount to get the NVD behind it.  But you might want a std height (up to 1/3 co-witness) for proper cheek weld when magnified, but want a taller mount (1.93 and up) for 1x, including passive NV.  So you might have to pick which setting is more important?  Or have a stock with adjustable comb for magnified, positional shooting.  That way you could compensate for the taller mount.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much what Diz said:  my Elcan sits in my gear cage; I run an EOTech.

It really depends on what you are using the weapon/optic for; if you're shooting animals at long range I guess you could use/need the magnification.

Kicking in doors, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
They do fine. Just not as ergonomically manageable as an Eotech. The objective let's in plenty of light for NV.  The standard mil mount sets a 14 right in line with the right. Standard SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:58:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never found aiming through a magnified optic with head mounted NODs to be as effective as doing so with an RDS, to include, but not limited to ELCANs and the Vortex RazorHD 1-6.

It can be done, but it's nowhere near as natural and intuitive, IMHO, even when using a riser, and is actually one of the reasons I have not fully jumped on the "LPVOs can replace red dots" train that seems so popular these days, and continue to use RDS + magnifier setups on many of my rifles.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never found aiming through a magnified optic with head mounted NODs to be as effective as doing so with an RDS, to include, but not limited to ELCANs and the Vortex RazorHD 1-6.

It can be done, but it's nowhere near as natural and intuitive, IMHO, even when using a riser, and is actually one of the reasons I have not fully jumped on the "LPVOs can replace red dots" train that seems so popular these days, and continue to use RDS + magnifier setups on many of my rifles.

~Augee
View Quote
RDS and magnifier kick the fuck out of LPVO’s.

*I have and like LPVO’s.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
What about using a RMR on 45 degree offset to replace the BUIS - and also - to be the "go to" option for passive NV aiming while using a LPV like a 1-6 Vortex or similar?

Anybody using that?

My thinking is, having not rigged it up and tested myself, especially with PVS-14/monocular use - you might have to mount the RMR offset on a riser too right?

The other option is go put the RMR on top of the LPV, but then it kind of negates it being a BUIS replacement because anything that would have destroyed the LPV would have destroyed the top mount LPV right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the very well thought out answer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top