Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2022 8:23:30 PM EDT
I'm in the process of outfitting my SBR with a better setup. I'm doing Cola Warrior in October and from what I've heard, a magnified optic is pretty necessary for the rifle stage. I've already planned to replace the Vortex Sparc AR I currently have on the rifle: it's in a knockoff Unity mount for trying it out before buying a real one. Doing some passive aiming with it was not fun as the FOV is fine during daylight but felt like I was looking down a soda straw with my monocular.

I want to go back to using an EOTech and am planning to get an EXPS3-0 and put it on a Unity riser. I feel like that will give me a better FOV and I prefer the reticle more anyway. With that, I've thought about grabbing a G43 or G45 to put behind it in the Unity OMNI mount. However, I've read that using LPVOs with passive aiming can be a miserable time. Granted, the magnifier will be raised up with the optic so that will alleviate one problem but I'm concerned about having enough space behind the magnifier to get my head and optic. I'm not sure how the eye relief will hinder that.

Has anyone run something similar and have any feedback? I do have a LAM and just because of the shooting position I may end up using that regardless.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Light transmission through two optics will be bad enough that you’ll have a hard time seeing anything.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a Unity setup with aimpoint magnifier(3x) + T2. Its possible to passive aim through it but its not something I'd reccomend. Its usable but not user friendly and I don't really see outside of shooting static targets it being useful.

I can see it useful as a scanning tool and thats about it but then you're scanning with your rifle.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I can use my vortex micro 3x in higher light settings passively.  

My 44mm objective 2.5-10x is actually quite usable with just a touch of moonlight up to 5x.   Have used it out to about 300yards pretty successfully.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I can use my D2’s illuminator to at least throw light down range to help ID the targets, but possibly it’d be better to use the magnifier or something else for scanning. Maybe using one of the attachable magnifiers on the monocular and using the LAM for aiming might be a better situation, though I don’t think I’d use it for anything outside of this specific situation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Passive aiming with magnified (or prism) optics, including magnifiers, while not impossible, can be significantly more difficult than with unmagnified red dot collimator or holographic type sights.

You’re effectively dealing with two diopters and focus that needs to match up with a more restrictive eye-box.

Some folks are blessed to be able to work within a “sweet spot” that makes this possible, however for the vast majority of people, it requires some adjustments that make it impractical to try to do “on the fly” with as much ease and comfort as an RDS—the best most people are able to accomplish is an “OEG-like” solution with an illuminated reticle. In static positions, it can be a little more feasible.

Generally speaking, however, something like a CNVD or even dedicated scope is going to be a superior solution if you need more than 1x while using NV.

~Augee
View Quote

I tried passive aiming with my NX8 a while back. Yes possible, but as you noted, the diopter was "a hair off" (reticle appeared and was usable grossly, but was a blur). The main thing I noted was how bloody fast the light got killed by magnification. My NX8 on 1x looks great compared to a T2 in daylight...but at night I really see how much light those compound lenses are sucking up. It's kindof bizarre how the naked eye doesn't "see" that going on, IMO!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of outfitting my SBR with a better setup. I'm doing Cola Warrior in October and from what I've heard, a magnified optic is pretty necessary for the rifle stage. I've already planned to replace the Vortex Sparc AR I currently have on the rifle: it's in a knockoff Unity mount for trying it out before buying a real one. Doing some passive aiming with it was not fun as the FOV is fine during daylight but felt like I was looking down a soda straw with my monocular.

I want to go back to using an EOTech and am planning to get an EXPS3-0 and put it on a Unity riser. I feel like that will give me a better FOV and I prefer the reticle more anyway. With that, I've thought about grabbing a G43 or G45 to put behind it in the Unity OMNI mount. However, I've read that using LPVOs with passive aiming can be a miserable time. Granted, the magnifier will be raised up with the optic so that will alleviate one problem but I'm concerned about having enough space behind the magnifier to get my head and optic. I'm not sure how the eye relief will hinder that.

Has anyone run something similar and have any feedback? I do have a LAM and just because of the shooting position I may end up using that regardless.
View Quote

That is exactly what I have set up on one BCM (EXPS3 & G45 in Omni Mount) On another I have the EXPS3 & G33 in a Unity Mount. All on Unity risers too.

They greatly enhance mobility by keeping everything steamlined. Why Eotech never thought of making their side mounts that way is ridiculous.

Passive aiming with a FP DBAL-A3 and MAWL work just fine thru either DTNVS or PVS14. If you want pics shoot me an email. Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You need one of the 3x magnifiers that go on the night vision. Really helped me to see targets at Cola events. You should also get a good tight beam illuminator
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You need one of the 3x magnifiers that go on the night vision. Really helped me to see targets at Cola events. You should also get a good tight beam illuminator
View Quote

I was considering that as the best option. Figured I'd either kneel or sit cross leg on the platform and just use the LAM to illuminate and aim at the targets.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was considering that as the best option. Figured I'd either kneel or sit cross leg on the platform and just use the LAM to illuminate and aim at the targets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if you couldn't use articulating binos, with your dominant eye having a 3x magnifier on it, and you basically run it as two separate monos. Flip down the 3x mag side to aim at distance with your red dot. Then flip it back up when not needed.

I've never tried this mind you. I don't even own an NVD magnifier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wonder if you couldn't use articulating binos, with your dominant eye having a 3x magnifier on it, and you basically run it as two separate monos. Flip down the 3x mag side to aim at distance with your red dot. Then flip it back up when not needed.

I've never tried this mind you. I don't even own an NVD magnifier.
View Quote

The magnifiers have a press fit as well as screw in option. They also come with a flip cap so I usually have mine in a cargo pocket and just pop it on when I want a closer look at something. I rarely use the screw on method unless I'm carrying a 14/magnifier on a neck lanyard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
There were two for sale in the EE for $150 that I hesitated putting an offer in for. Everywhere online looks like $400 for one if they’re in stock. Though even $150 is a little much for what would probably be a one time use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top