Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2021 6:28:39 PM EDT
I  hunted down this exact Colt for over 2 years before finally purchasing it a few years ago but now in retirement need to thin the herd.
Selling off the "Museum pieces" that I dont shoot and a few duplicates.
Its like selling off a limb. :(

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__SPECTACULAR_HIGH_ORIGINAL_CONDITION_COLT_1921A-LOT518503.aspx

Also selling this never arsenal refinished M1A1 in great condition. For some reason the pictures amplify what few imperfections are there.
The gun looks excellent in person.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__HIGH_CONDITION_ORIGINAL_FINISH_U_S__PROPERTY_M-LOT518519.aspx

Also this very fine and rare 100 round Colt drum

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/THOMPSON_100_ROUND__C__DRUM_MAGAZINE_-LOT520721.aspx

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you are allowed to post links to your own auction....
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't care caren. it's cool

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Very sweet, did you ever fire it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
You are going to do well with that.  Hell of an investment.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why dont you care on his listing lol
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very sweet, did you ever fire it?
View Quote

Once.
Shaking like a leaf.
The most perfect irreplaceable object I've ever shot.

Keeping my beat up 1928 and another minty unrefinished M1A1 but by Savage not the Auto-Ordnance that's for auction.

Also selling 40 pinball machines, collector cars, and other stuff.
Got bit by the cancer bug but not too bad. Just a wake up call.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to worry.
That was my evil twin.

Cut a brother some slack.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have my eye on a bren gun in that auction
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Great luck with it man.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the NFRTR history of the MGs known?  I'm curious if they were '68 amnesty or if they were early registrations and held by the PD until recently?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool gun! I hope it does really well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you cutting back to ease the burden on your heirs?

I look around me and think "Wow, if I love these people, I can't leave all of this for them to deal with...".
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
First and foremost: I wish you nothing but the best with your future health.
F cancer.

Secondly, I hope your absolutely gorgeous examples of Thompson’s, bring you TOP dollar!
Congrats on the incredible investment, collection and ability to “shift gears” in life and  to be able to thin the heard.

My top two wish list firearms by a long shot!
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you cutting back to ease the burden on your heirs?

I look around me and think "Wow, if I love these people, I can't leave all of this for them to deal with...".
View Quote

Its a combination of things but yes thats one part.

Capital gains prposals another.

Joey waking up in the middle of the night with a vision to pass an executive order another.

Also I have just too much % in class 3 stuff. Need to reballance.

But yes If I were to suddenly leave the scene  then the guns would be fairly simple. I'd have my wife and son put everything through an auction house.
Cars the same. Bring-a-Trailer brings the best $$$ for this portion of the market. There are brokers that display and promote for best possible return for just a small %.
Pinball machines are something else. Some are unique and there is no auction house that handles them.

But my "dream" is to buy a big sailing Catamaran and see a part or most of the world. Probably more screwing around than its worth and will end up on cruises like everyone else with common sense.

I'm not stupid rich just well to do after a life of hard / smart work and investing.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is the NFRTR history of the MGs known?  I'm curious if they were '68 amnesty or if they were early registrations and held by the PD until recently?
View Quote

The 1921AC was purchased new by the Bowling Green Ohio PD.
Must have sat locked up in the successive chiefs locker for generations.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 1921AC was purchased new by the Bowling Green Ohio PD.
Must have sat locked up in the successive chiefs locker for generations.
View Quote

Looks a lot like the two 1921s I found in a basement storage(old jail cells).  I was working in the jail, and had trustees hauling boxes of old evidence/files up to the main floor for inventory.    One of the inmates said “look here deputy”.  It was a wooden case  with 2 guns, a dozen mags and some ammo.  Incredible.  No rust in our dry climate.  Turned out we got them in the ‘40s and nobody took much interest in them and they got tucked away.
No idea if they were transferable, but our sheriff traded them to a dealer for 6 ARs, semi only.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Good luck on the auction!

I have much empathy, I retired earlier this year and started looking around. I had came to inclusion I have too much stuff. I Auctioned off 100+/- guns. Almost all of them were duplicates. Feels great, I have thought about selling off some of my machine guns also,  but I still get a lot of pride of ownership. So they will stay for now

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I  hunted down this exact Colt for over 2 years before finally purchasing it a few years ago but now in retirement need to thin the herd.
Selling off the "Museum pieces" that I dont shoot and a few duplicates.
Its like selling off a limb. :(

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__SPECTACULAR_HIGH_ORIGINAL_CONDITION_COLT_1921A-LOT518503.aspx

Also selling this never arsenal refinished M1A1 in great condition. For some reason the pictures amplify what few imperfections are there.
The gun looks excellent in person.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__HIGH_CONDITION_ORIGINAL_FINISH_U_S__PROPERTY_M-LOT518519.aspx

Also this very fine and rare 100 round Colt drum

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/THOMPSON_100_ROUND__C__DRUM_MAGAZINE_-LOT520721.aspx

View Quote

Congratulations on the price realized for the Thompson.  I don't know a lot about the market for 1921s, but that seemed to be a great price to get out of it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Congratulations on the price realized for the Thompson.  I don't know a lot about the market for 1921s, but that seemed to be a great price to get out of it.
View Quote

Wow, those are really incredible hammer prices. OP congratulations on your sale.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
That was a beautiful gun OP.  Congrats on getting a great bid price.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
SCORE!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
SCORE!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks but......

Believe it or not I'm a bit disappointed if what my rep called later and told me was the hammer price.
I couldn't stand the pressure of actually watching the auction !

So yesterday Morphy's sends an email touting the results and my gun is first in that list but is listed as selling for almost 20K more than my rep said.
Something is wrong.
Calling them Monday.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#24]
interesting
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks but......

Believe it or not I'm a bit disappointed if what my rep called later and told me was the hammer price.

So yesterday Morphy's sends an email touting the results and my gun is first in that list but is listed as selling for almost 20K more than my rep said.
Something is wrong.
Calling them Monday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks but......

Something is wrong.
Calling them Monday.

Sorry to hear that and I hope you get it straightened out.  I've never sold anything through Morphy's, but they seem to have a good reputation from what I've heard.
I wound up winning the Pre-86 DS Bren gun, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I am interested to see how this turns out.

I have a few MGs I might want to cut loose

I still have 5 NIB consecutive Ser# 86 Mac 11s.
Would I get more money selling them personally or at a Auction House?
And should I sell then one by one or as a group?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would "ration out" the MAC's over time.
Run an ad on Sturm and here and see what happens.
My S+W 76 was competing against 4 others IIRC and I was very concerned that the demand would dry up by the time it got to mine. Mine was last.
Nope: it got good money as far as I'm concerned.
I also had a EA  "M16" that went real high.
On the other hand my 100 round Thompson mag fell about 5K short of expectations. As well as my 3 H+R .410 Handigun group by a grand or two.
Win some lose some.

One nice thing about Morphy is that they do all the grunt work and zero tire kickers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks but......

Something is wrong.
Calling them Monday.
View Quote

I believe that what you are observing is the difference between the knockdown price and the price the that includes the auction house commission, i.e., what the buyer owes to the auction house for their services (20% of knockdown price for Morphy's?), plus sales tax.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I believe that what you are observing is the difference between the knockdown price and the price the that includes the auction house commission, i.e., what the buyer owes to the auction house for their services (20% of knockdown price for Morphy's?), plus sales tax.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
View Quote

I think you are correct .
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My S+W 76 was competing against 4 others IIRC and I was very concerned that the demand would dry up by the time it got to mine. Mine was last.
On the other hand my 100 round Thompson mag fell about 5K short of expectations. As well as my 3 H+R .410 Handigun group by a grand or two.
Win some lose some.

One nice thing about Morphy is that they do all the grunt work and zero tire kickers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Win some lose some.

I understand what you are saying.

I like the idea of them staying together. But in the end does it matter?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top