Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2018 12:07:39 PM EDT
What up AR community. So I'm in the processes of deciding on how if I want to paint my AR and if so what color/camo pattern. I have access to an airbrush so I'm going try and use that. Im thinking of making either a solid flat dark earth or a sneak skin.

Any suggestions and have any of you tried using an air brush rather than just a spray paint can?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Just rattle can the damn thing! The purpose is too camouflage the gun, not win some beauty contest. When you wear it off, re-paint it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a whole refinishing forum in the armory section. Take a look in there man. Would link you but I’m mobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
aervoe is all you need.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
aervoe is all you need.
View Quote
This. I’ll also offer krylon flat camo for ease of availability locally. Have used both, I think krylon applies smoother but aervoe is a more robust formula. Cheers
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Figured Id update this post because why not?

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Rattle can and stencils?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice pattern!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Good ol Rust-Oleum and a mesh from a laundry bag lol. Call it arts and crafts for men.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice job OP!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Atta boy, looks good
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good you did it right OP!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks good
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you get any overspray on your car?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Lol nah it wasnt my car. I did it outside and hung it on a hook.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks really good.  And a lot of people on here have some nice paint jobs.

But like someone said, it does beg the question.  If the point is to camo, do you really gain anything with the fancy jobs over just spraying the dang thing willy nilly?   For camo sake?  I guess for workmanship and enjoyments sake, a lot can be said for a nice paint job.  But to me if the point is to camoflauge it, I could care less how fancy it is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I suppose the point of the camo is to fool the eye and break up the lines and black color of the rifle. I like the sneak skin because it was simple to do. The sneak skin pattern makes the rifle,IMO, breaks up the lines on the rifle well combined with alternating dark and light contrasts. Just a preference on my part.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#19]
It does look good.  I'll give you that.  Lots of good ones I've seen people post on here.    I would think bigger stripes and just down right big blotches would really be better for breaking up the outline any more than a solid color though.  If you look far away at the snake skin pattern, it doesn't really do anything to the outline of a the gun.  Kind of like some girls shirts might look pink but when you get up close it's actually white with smaller red dots.......
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
This is Cerakote I did several years ago

Attachment Attached File

Rattle Can:

Attachment Attached File

New hallway tile pattern:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Those look great. How challenging was doing the Cerakote yourself?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Those look great. How challenging was doing the Cerakote yourself?
View Quote
I worked at auto body shops all during high school and a few years after, so I know how to prep and paint. It was easy for me, but enough of a pain to the point where I just do rattle can now. Unless you have an old oven you don't mind using for gun stuff for the rest of its life, a media blaster and the proper spray gun and or air brush, I would advise against it. If you know how to properly prep and have all the equipment needed, it is stupid easy, just takes time. Cerakote can be unforgiving if you try to cut corners. Nutnfancy has a great video on how not to Cerakote. Cerakote has a great video on youtube that takes you step by step through the entire process
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good ol Rust-Oleum and a mesh from a laundry bag lol. Call it arts and crafts for men.
View Quote
That’s all you need.

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Three cans of paint, an hour or so and viola'...badness.

LMT
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Three cans of paint, an hour or so and viola'...badness.

LMT
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#26]
These look great, keep em coming!

Picture of it hanging from the metal wire we strung up across the yard while putting on the base. Worked perfectly!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#27]
It will come out good
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I really like that. Im guessing you used OD as the base?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I suck at posting pics but I recommend aervoe sand and earth brown.
https://i.imgur.com/a/t7xUK
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't understand the love for the laundry bag finishes other than ease or laziness.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't understand the love for the laundry bag finishes other than ease or laziness.
View Quote
Stop not liking what I like!  "Laundry bag" ftw!

Actually I used a work bench topper "grippy" cloth for the effect.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Stop not liking what I like!  "Laundry bag" ftw!

http://i.imgur.com/rdNo0sG.jpg

Actually I used a work bench topper "grippy" cloth for the effect.
View Quote
Really like how this turned out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#34]
im in PA. it actually started out arvoe dark earth. then greens, blacks etc. it looks cooler in real life.
i love it for PA. its my go to gun. started out as lets slap some cheap parts together and paint them, then it went to need Colt
barrel , this that. its a great shooting accurate firearm.
that paint holds up really well to handling, oil cleaners etc. i carry it all over the place in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#36]
How many times have you had to re-aply? I kind of like the worn pint look so I don even know If ill end up redoing it after it wears.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#38]
didnt have to touch it up yet. kinda surprised. we laid many coats , colors over colors. got kinda carried away lol.
none of it has worn off. maybe a little around the pistol grip. the arvoe stuff holds up.

Quoted:

How many times have you had to re-aply? I kind of like the worn pint look so I don even know If ill end up redoing it after it wears.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]
recently repainted mine with some rattlecan.

cheap, fast and easy to fix when it starts to finally show more black than paint again.

Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]
just paint it up. adds the personal touch. just do it so it blends where you normally go.
i did my holster alsoAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#42]
dont forget to shoot them up, no safe queens.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
recently repainted mine with some rattlecan.

cheap, fast and easy to fix when it starts to finally show more black than paint again.

https://i.imgur.com/BXVJdBe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yAVbjqM.jpg
View Quote
You forgot to paint your scope!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You forgot to paint your scope!!!!
View Quote
just got it in on friday, havent had time to
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

just got it in on friday, havent had time to
View Quote
Going to be getting a razor Gen 2 E for mine and haven't decided if I'm actually going to paint it..
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that you will never sell an optic, I highly recommend that you don't paint it. Once it is painted, it is very difficult to sell it for anywhere near your asking price.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looks cute up close but at a distance it all would sort of blend into one color anyway not providing a break up effect.  I think a lot of camo is designed to look good up close and in the store.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just rattle can the damn thing! The purpose is too camouflage the gun, not win some beauty contest. When you wear it off, re-paint it.
View Quote
This.  Throw some ferns and leaves and shit on it for some good effect if you want to look cool
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What up AR community. So I'm in the processes of deciding on how if I want to paint my AR and if so what color/camo pattern. I have access to an airbrush so I'm going try and use that. Im thinking of making either a solid flat dark earth or a sneak skin.

Any suggestions and have any of you tried using an air brush rather than just a spray paint can?
View Quote
Is 'Sneak Skin' anything like snake skin?

This was done with a rattle can (not mine, but it's freaking awesome)

He has a tutorial burried somewhere towards the front of this thread
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks cute up close but at a distance it all would sort of blend into one color anyway not providing a break up effect.  I think a lot of camo is designed to look good up close and in the store.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most good modern camouflage patterns have both a macro and micro pattern.

I agree that many paint jobs, mesh or not, often end up looking better up close, but blend to a uniform color further away, defeating the camouflage intent, but that is an individual application issue, and does not condemn the whole concept.

The micro pattern can do a number of things, and can break up the solid lines that often come with just painting stripes or blotches, particularly when using stencils.

Camouflage too is something you can do "right" or "wrong," you want to have enough contrast to break up the outlines so the weapon doesn't look like a solid blob at a distance, but you also don't want to have too many unnatural hard edges.

~Augee
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top