Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2022 11:23:50 AM EDT
As the title states….I have a mini monster that is FDE in color. Bought the can years ago, never use it because of the color, but the can only cost me $400 new plus the stamp as the dealer couldn’t get it sold so they just basically gave it away. I want this can to be black.

Besides cerakote or duracote, what can I do at home without sending this off to get it all flat black, and get it to hold up.

Any info or advice would be great!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Rustoleum high temp
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rustoleum high temp
View Quote

Will I need to primer it first, or just degrease and start spraying?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want, take a cotton ball with 70% or better ISO, rub down, let air dry, then go to town.

I’ve got some rustoleum on a can that’s been there for years and lots of rounds prepped this way
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you want, take a cotton ball with 70% or better ISO, rub down, let air dry, then go to town.

I’ve got some rustoleum on a can that’s been there for years and lots of rounds prepped this way
View Quote

Awesome! Will definitely do that then.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I just use rustoleum or aervoe...
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I clean with acetone and then use this combination

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
V-Series Cerakote is the best option for a suppressor...it is designed for high-temp heat cycling.  They use it on exhaust manifolds, engines, etc.  Jet Black is the flat black color they offer in the V-Series line, color code V-169.  V-Series Cerakote is what Surefire currently uses on their suppressors.  

If you insist on using a bbq paint, it would be best if you could have the exterior sandblasted to remove all the current finish...then apply the desired finish.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone has already answered what paint to use. I’m just curious why the can being tan has anything to do with using it or not
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everyone has already answered what paint to use. I’m just curious why the can being tan has anything to do with using it or not
View Quote

I own nothing FDE, and it looks silly as hell on the end of any of my rifles as the only different color other than black. The deal was too good to pass up, and I already had other surefire cans when the purchase was made. $400 for a mini monster with the window breaching teeth is a hell of a deal, and I couldn’t pass it up plus the stamp.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
We use Norrell's Moly Resin, very durable finish.   It's easy as professional enamels go, but you do need to abrasive blast the parts to bare metal & degrease thoroughly first, and you do need an HVLP gun or air brush to apply it.  And of course an oven to bake it at 300°F for an hour
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We use Norrell's Moly Resin, very durable finish.   It's easy as professional enamels go, but you do need to abrasive blast the parts to bare metal & degrease thoroughly first, and you do need an HVLP gun or air brush to apply it.  And of course an oven to bake it at 300°F for an hour
View Quote

I would do something like this, but I don’t have an oven I feel like using and pissing the wife off with
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would do something like this, but I don’t have an oven I feel like using and pissing the wife off with
View Quote

You'll be alright.  It has a smell during curing, but nothing that sticks around.  Just do it while she ain't home and cook a pizza afterward, she'll be none the wiser!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#13]
That’s silly but you do you lol
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure he will, with or without your LOL!

Another option would be to put a black Bowers cover on it, which would hide the FDE color save for the ends.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your pink can
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Would shooting it until it's smoking degrease it??

Or does it need to be glowing?

Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Enjoy your pink can
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Painting any can, even with high heat paint, ain't gonna last.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Painting any can, even with high heat paint, ain't gonna last.
View Quote

Oh I fully do not expect it to last! Even cerakote high heat stuff doesn’t, and I’m okay with that. I’m just looking for a simple and cheap solution without having to send the can off to someone. I fully understand I’ll have to do touch it up.

But to all who have replied I have found my solution. Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your pink can

Check out pictures or videos of painted cans. They always turn a weird shade of pink.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
After getting such a good deal on the suppressor, it’s probably worth the $50 plus shipping to send it to Joint Force Enterprises for a proper coating.  I know some are hesitant in sending their firearms and NFA items off, but if you can get past that then money is well worth the result.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I painted a SureFire can with a bottle of Cerakote-C (same very high temp stuff used on SF cans) and preval aerosol sprayer for a quick paint job.  Wasn't bad....just make sure you prep it really good.    If I had to do it again, I'd break the compressor out and use a small detail sprayer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I use Norrell moly coating as well. Easy.

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Enjoy your pink can
View Quote

Granted I haven’t used it on a machine gun, but I’ve got rustoleum camo that’s been on my Recce 5 on a 10.5” and 16” 5.56, not exactly light use, that hasn’t turned pink
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top