Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 11:17:33 AM EDT
I got this from a friends estate and I would like to use it in honor of him.

I have 2 Mec 600 jr for 12 & 20ga but nothing for 16Ga.

It appears that all of the parts are here for this press to work for 16GA except for the powder & shot bushings.

Can anyone confirm that current production Hornady 336 powder bushings work? Any idea on what shot bushings?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

16ga conversion
Attachment Attached File

Charge bar but no bushings
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The current Hornday bushings fit, the Hornaday press is an evolution of the Pacific press.  I think Ponsness Warren bushings are the same size.
View Quote

Thanks and can you confirm that this bar does need shot bushings? Its not marked anywhere.

And if so any idea on shot bushings?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Eta: yes you need shot bushings.

Ponsness shot bushing are 1" od and 1" tall. I believe rcbs, hornady, ponsness, and spolar all interchange.

Ponsness, hornady, spolar, and rcbs powder bushings are 7/8" o.d. and 1 " tall.

Here is a link to some dl-150 information on trapshooters. Dl-150
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Eta: yes you need shot bushings.

Ponsness shot bushing are 1" od and 1" tall. I believe rcbs, hornady, ponsness, and spolar all interchange.

Ponsness, hornady, spolar, and rcbs powder bushings are 7/8" o.d. and 1 " tall.

Here is a link to some dl-150 information on trapshooters. Dl-150
View Quote

Yeah I had found that in a search and saved the PDF that they had listed.

Thanks guys. Will double check everything and try to get this old girl up and running again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Grand has an adapter for MEC bushings that I bought from Ballistic Products.
View Quote

I have one for my Ponsness.  I never could get as accurate a throw using it as I can with Ponsness or Hornady bushings (or mine if I just turn them myself on a lathe.)

The adaptors are OK if you have mec bushings, I'd stick to Hornady bushings if thats what you need and you're starting from scratch.

FWIW, I like the Hornaday powder bushings over the Ponsness bushings.  The Hornady bushing number is the inside diameter of the bushing, Ponsness uses an alphabetic system that really makes no sense.  There are charts out there that list Ponsness bushings and their i.d. but Hornady has already done that for you and the Hornady bushings tend to be a bit cheaper than Ponsness.  The Ponsness shot bushings are steel, I'm not sure about Hornady shot bushings- they look like aluminum on the web, I'd prefer steel for the shot bushing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have one for my Ponsness.  I never could get as accurate a throw using it as I can with Ponsness or Hornady bushings (or mine if I just turn them myself on a lathe.)

The adaptors are OK if you have mec bushings, I'd stick to Hornady bushings if thats what you need and you're starting from scratch.

FWIW, I like the Hornaday powder bushings over the Ponsness bushings.  The Hornady bushing number is the inside diameter of the bushing, Ponsness uses an alphabetic system that really makes no sense.  There are charts out there that list Ponsness bushings and their i.d. but Hornady has already done that for you and the Hornady bushings tend to be a bit cheaper than Ponsness.  The Ponsness shot bushings are steel, I'm not sure about Hornady shot bushings- they look like aluminum on the web, I'd prefer steel for the shot bushing.
View Quote

Shot shot bushing should I be looking at for 16Ga? Im thinking a 7/8 or 1 oz load. Got a link?

Only 16GA I have is a pre war Mod 12 and dont want to beat it up. It will mainly be used on squirrels anyway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Ponsness website is www.reloaders.com.  It's fun to navigate.

Precision reloading has hornady and rcbs bushings https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#

Ballistic products has bushings also (seem to be out of stock, of course)  https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ponsness_Warren-Lead-Shot-bushing/productinfo/161SB/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top