Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2019 12:25:56 PM EST
Just took the plunge on a PVS14 and am now researching mounting options. Lots of options out there!

Based on my research so far I've decided to go with a Norotos Dual Dovetail mount instead of a PVS14 arm:
http://www.norotos.com/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=55

Rationale behind using the Dovetial mount is explained in these articles:
http://hudsongravity.com/2016/12/18/why-the-wilcox-j-arm-is-bad-and-why-wilcox-should-feel-bad/
https://tnvc.com/shop/norotos-dual-dovetail-interface-arm-for-pvs-14/

As for mounting options, it seems there are a couple good cheap options:

1) Norotos TATM with Dovetail, which can easily found for about $40 used
http://www.norotos.com/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=19

2) Norotos Rhino II Horn, which can be found for about $50 used, and then converted to Dovetail using the Norotos Quick Change Dovetail Socket ($70).
In total this would seem equivalent to a Norotos Rhino II Dovetail, but only costing about $120
http://www.norotos.com/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=61
http://www.norotos.com/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=45

My question is...is there any real difference between the TATM vs Rhino II?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:39:24 PM EST
No experience with the TATM

Rhino II dovetail and Nortos dual dovetail adapter is one of the cheapest ways to get into dovetail and is solid.

If you don’t plan on getting binos Wilcox g11 can be found for $200 and gets rid of most of the wobble in the j-arm it’s the best mount for j-arms IMHO
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:59:45 PM EST
The TATM is fine, but the back plate requires a special shroud.

I'd just go rhino II with AKA2 dovetail adapter.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:18:29 PM EST
Good advice. The Rhino II is good lightweight mount for a single -14

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:52:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:

View Quote
My helmet has a Ops Core VAS shroud. Am I correct that my existing shroud would directly fit a Norotos Rhino or Rhino II, but if I wanted to use a Norotos TATM / AKA II, then I would need to switch to the Norotos 3 Hole Low Profile Shroud (1722010) ?

The cost that Norotos shroud is about $70, so brings the total cost of TATM route to be about $110, vs $120 for the Rhino II route. Is there any difference between stability/reliability/ease of use between the Norotos shroud vs. the Ops Core VAS shroud?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:04:01 PM EST
I've read people complain about the VAS being a loose fit with most lowering arms.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:17:46 PM EST
That is correct about the Rhino's. The TATM uses a specific shroud so to use it with a universal shroud like the VAS or a Wilcox you have to get a bracket conversion https://www.modarmory.com/product/norotos-conversion-kit-to-bracket-universal-shroud/

Originally Posted By pebble:

My helmet has a Ops Core VAS shroud. Am I correct that my existing shroud would directly fit a Norotos Rhino or Rhino II, but if I wanted to use a Norotos TATM / AKA II, then I would need to switch to the Norotos 3 Hole Low Profile Shroud (1722010) ?

The cost that Norotos shroud is about $70, so brings the total cost of TATM route to be about $110, vs $120 for the Rhino II route. Is there any difference between stability/reliability/ease of use between the Norotos shroud vs. the Ops Core VAS shroud?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:22:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/8/2019 3:24:19 PM EST by will-1]
Missed this part. Yes they're different. The Rhino is force to overcome with 2 positions down or up. The TATM is button activated and has 3 positions down, middle, and up. Middle will put the -14 sticking out further pointing straight up & down. It's a weird position but works in a confined space like a low vehicle ceiling where you can't stow it.

*Edit to add: I like the TATM a lot because the release is a knob that you have to turn a shit ton to get it to release. Definitely won't accidentally release it.

My question is...is there any real difference between the TATM vs Rhino II?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:48:04 PM EST
Subscribed....
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 4:32:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By will-1:
That is correct about the Rhino's. The TATM uses a specific shroud so to use it with a universal shroud like the VAS or a Wilcox you have to get a bracket conversion https://www.modarmory.com/product/norotos-conversion-kit-to-bracket-universal-shroud/
View Quote
I think what you linked is actually the Norotos Conversion Kit to Bracket (1875010), which enables the TATM to be mounted to the Norotos Universal Shroud (1817010), rather than to a OPS Core Vas Shroud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there exists an adapter that allows you to mount the TATM onto a VAS shroud.

Digging a little deeper, here is a summary of the various shroud options and compatible mounts:

OPS Core VAS Shroud:
*Wilcox G24 NVG Mount (direct)
*Norotos AKA2 Mount (direct)
*Norotos INVG Mount (direct)
*U.S. Army Standard Rhino Arm / Norotos Rhino II (direct)

Norotos 3 Hole Shroud:
*Norotos TATM / TATM(LgArm) (direct)
*INVG (w/ Conversion Kit to Shroud)
*AKA2 (w/ Conversion Kit to Shroud)
* USGI Rhino Arm / Norotos Rhino II (w/ Conversion Kit to Shroud)

Norotos Universal Shroud:
* Norotos TATM (w/ Conversion Kit to Bracket)
* Norotos TATM Long Arm (w/ Conversion Kit to Bracket)
*Norotos INVG, Norotos AKA2 (direct)

Clearly the VAS shroud has the greatest compatibility, which seems like a benefit...however, it might actually be a downside, because although it's compatible, you are now putting a mount onto a shroud made by a different company, and it might not fit perfectly well since it's made by different companies. This is actually making me lean towards going with the Norotos Shroud and a Norotos TATM, because that way if I ever want to switch helmets or something, I can always just move the shroud with it and have a guaranteed good fit. As MunnyShot said, "I've read people complain about the VAS being a loose fit with most lowering arms. "
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 4:52:31 PM EST
I’ve tried most of them. The Wilcox g24 with a Wilcox dovetail j arm is the clear winner IMO
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:56:52 PM EST
The G24 is definitely better but you’ll pay more for it. The downside to the TATM shroud is you’ll only use it with the TATM. I don’t have a VAS but I think any universal plate will fit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:20:47 AM EST
I actually changed my mind and decided to go the cheap milspec route first. Picked up a used Rhino II (horn) for $50 and a milspec bayonet arm for $30. This will work with my existing shroud and also saves me from needing to buy the dual dovetail. All tolled, this solution costs just $80 compared to approx $260 for the above dovetail solutions I was considering.

I got the rhino already, and there is substationtial play in the fitting. However, after I wrapped 3 layers of electrical tape around the shoe, it fits snugly into the shroud with no wobble so I guess that is acceptable..

My only remaining concern is hoping that the torquing screw on the arm works as intended. If it does, I saved a lot of money. If not, I can always try to upgrade that part later.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:56:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/12/2019 10:08:31 AM EST by lilMAC25]
I think what you linked is actually the Norotos Conversion Kit to Bracket (1875010), which enables the TATM to be mounted to the Norotos Universal Shroud (1817010), rather than to a OPS Core Vas Shroud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there exists an adapter that allows you to mount the TATM onto a VAS shroud.

Digging a little deeper, here is a summary of the various shroud options and compatible mounts:

OPS Core VAS Shroud:

Norotos 3 Hole Shroud:

Clearly the VAS shroud has the greatest compatibility, which seems like a benefit...however, it might actually be a downside, because although it's compatible, you are now putting a mount onto a shroud made by a different company, and it might not fit perfectly well since it's made by different companies. This is actually making me lean towards going with the Norotos Shroud and a Norotos TATM, because that way if I ever want to switch helmets or something, I can always just move the shroud with it and have a guaranteed good fit. As MunnyShot said, "I've read people complain about the VAS being a loose fit with most lowering arms. "
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

OPS Core VAS Shroud:

Norotos 3 Hole Shroud:

The G24 is definitely better but you’ll pay more for it. The downside to the TATM shroud is you’ll only use it with the TATM. I don’t have a VAS but I think any universal plate will fit.
You can mount a TATM to a VAS with the proper conversion plate.

I sold the Norotos shroud that came with it for around $30, IIRC.

My two cents? Choose a Dovetail mount of some sort (either Wilcox or Norotos) and get the appropriate JArm or DDA (if you get Wilcox, get their Dovetail JArm. if you get Norotos, get DDA).

It’s one of the most perfect examples of “buy once, cry once” that has ever existed.

Both combos have vastly better retention and rigidity (less wiggle between Dovetail solution and mount) relative to the bayonet mount options.
Top Top