Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2019 9:17:18 AM EDT
I know there's one guy in here who is a huge proponent of the PVS-7 but I would like to hear from multiple people who have used both to tell me what the true benefits of duals over a PVS-7 are. I carry with me on duty my Sentinel and a PVS-14. Other guys in my dept. and surrounding agencies through hearing my experiences and me lending them out for force multiplication have really seen the benefit of NV for LEO use and want to buy their own since no agency around will spend the money to provide it for non-SWAT cops. However none of us are rich, nor are they willing to spend what I spent. The cost of a PVS-7 is more justifiable but having never used a 7 I don't know what they'd lose over true duals. I'm hesitant to make the recommendation 1) having never used one and 2) knowing that everyone replaced the 7 with the 14. In spite of just getting one aided eye with the 14, something must've been good enough to give up both eyes being aided with the 7. So with that in mind, is the PVS-7 a cost effective compromise or should I be steering people to either go with a 14 or keep saving and get true duals?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
A PVS14, 7, and binos (I have all 3) all have there advantages/disadvantages in different lighting environments, in structures, open fields, wooded area, driving, with a pistol/rifle mounted RDS, a 14 mounted over your dominant or non dominant eye and different terrain. There are outfits that rent NV "they may also have a LEO/Mil discount" and if you get enough people involved splitting the cost can be very affordable. Try them out in different scenarios and see what works for each individual. Just like anything else opinions, likes and dislikes will vary.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Spectre, pm me and maybe we can link up and you can get some hands on experience with a pvs7a
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
After using PVS5Cs, 7s and 14 in the military, I can't think of any advantage/reason to spend my hard earned money and purchase a PVS7 I'd I was in your co-workers shoes. I would rather use a gen 2 14 over a 7 any day of the week. If purchasing good duals are an option, then your co-workers definitely should but if I was in that situation and couldn't afford duals, I'd rather have a 14 now, even if only a gen 2. Never know if it might truly be needed next month.

Edit: I had one these 10 years ago back when they were called D300s and if a coworker is truly strapped for cash, I think these would be a good value for duty use @TNVC correct me if I am wrong on that.

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-vision/night-optics-ambia-gen-2-monocular/?v=7516fd43adaa&doing_wp_cron=1546546508.5620760917663574218750
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are they buying them? Find your state's 1033 coordinator and see what you can get low-cost / no-cost...
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are they buying them? Find your state's 1033 coordinator and see what you can get low-cost / no-cost...
View Quote
lol, no low cost nods for u
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dept. leadership wont give NV or thermal to non swat guys. Hell here in the city, even the swat guys are stuck with rifle mounted 14s. The surrounding counties( again only for swat) are a little better and at least have rhino mounts and j arms.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dept. leadership wont give NV or thermal to non swat guys. Hell here in the city, even the swat guys are stuck with rifle mounted 14s. The surrounding counties( again only for swat) are a little better and at least have rhino mounts and j arms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they required to keep them rifle mounted or just not buying a J-Arm/Rhino mount? Heck in the EE here you can find a J/Rhino for like $40 or so.

Also 7s for patrol officers would give your troopers a huge advantage over no NVGs at all. The played out argument that it's 14s or Binos is tiresome to read on here. Are they neat yep they sure are. Can someone with 7s and a solid background of training accomplish their mission or task better than someone who blew the bank on duals and no training, yes. It's a tool, train with it, use it, and you will become proficient. If you start at the 7 level you will appreciate the benefits of bett tech as it becomes available. But if you never have that ability than even the 7s are better than a 7cell Maglite.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are they required to keep them rifle mounted or just not buying a J-Arm/Rhino mount? Heck in the EE here you can find a J/Rhino for like $40 or so.

Also 7s for patrol officers would give your troopers a huge advantage over no NVGs at all. The played out argument that it's 14s or Binos is tiresome to read on here. Are they neat yep they sure are. Can someone with 7s and a solid background of training accomplish their mission or task better than someone who blew the bank on duals and no training, yes. It's a tool, train with it, use it, and you will become proficient. If you start at the 7 level you will appreciate the benefits of bett tech as it becomes available. But if you never have that ability than even the 7s are better than a 7cell Maglite.
View Quote
I think they're just not buying bc the powers that be don't have any practical hands-on time with NV. They'd have to have the helmets drilled for a shroud or get those shitty ratchet strap plates as none of the helmets issued to swat or otherwise are drilled. I guess it's more bc of lack of hardware but they only ever train with their NV rifle mounted. One particular incident that I got called to when I was off( bc they knew I had NV) recently may have helped start change as one of the swat sgts very loudly proclaimed in front of the Lt. "WHY THE F*&^ DO WE NOT HAVE THIS?!?!"
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think they're just not buying bc the powers that be don't have any practical hands-on time with NV. They'd have to have the helmets drilled for a shroud or get those shitty ratchet strap plates as none of the helmets issued to swat or otherwise are drilled. I guess it's more bc of lack of hardware but they only ever train with their NV rifle mounted. One particular incident that I got called to when I was off( bc they knew I had NV) recently may have helped start change as one of the swat sgts very loudly proclaimed in front of the Lt. "WHY THE F*&^ DO WE NOT HAVE THIS?!?!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well at least that's a good start to identify the areas where your teams toolbag is lacking. Rifle mounted NV is fine for your long-gunners/sniper/marksman; but the assaulters ought to have the capability to use helmet mounted NV. Sounds like a night of training in the dark woods or blacked out buildings is in order to show your LT that there is a real capability gap for the team. Having to call a trooper in on their off time to use their personal kit is definitely not good standard practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top