Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2021 8:16:28 PM EDT
Hey everyone,
   I'm brand new to night vision and I just got a set of PVS-7s. The lenses on the eyepieces are cracked and I'm trying to remove/replace them. At first, I thought they were demist shields because they are flat and I was told that the diopter lens is curved. I was also told that these lenses are not necessary and can be removed. After looking at it more, I'm starting to think these flat lenses are integral to the diopter cell because they move up and down with the unit as I turn the gear-looking wheel. I removed the inner-most retaining ring, but the cracked lenses still won't come out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove these? I was told I could buy an entire rear cover assembly, but I'd rather avoid doing that if possible. I've attached images here.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome. We're glad you're here

I don't think that's a demist shield. Looks like the lens is cracked and will need to be replaced. In the meantime you can use the other lens like a monocular. And yall thought there was no advantage for the bi-ocular

Also you have an email
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the confirmation, it looks like that is the part. Do you know how to go about replacing it? I thought that retainer ring would be enough, but it still won't budge. Maybe I need to remove the whole rear cover?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The rear cover/plate is removed to replace the lens. It's straight forward, everything screwed together.

Anytime a unit is cracked open it must be done with surgical cleanliness to reduce dust entry. PVS7 are the worst since they have multiple chances for dust (mirror splitter lens etc).

Don't screw up the plastic bracket that holds the mirror to the lens. They'll snap in either way but only one correct way otherwise they fall off. Speaking of which...

Just when you thought a PVS7 couldn't get any weirder. You'll notice the image of a -7 has two black dots in it, left and right. These are holes in the mirror for the IR/ON and LOW BATTERY indicators. If the mirrors are flipped left-to-right the holes will no longer be in view resulting in a nice clean image. You'll lose the indicators but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you so much. This is the exact info I was looking for. I'll be sure to be careful when dealing with the rear cover. I read in the TM about nitrogen purging, but didn't really understand when or why this is done. Is this necessary after removing the rear cover?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
about nitrogen purging... Is this necessary after removing the rear cover?
View Quote

No but you'll hear people say it do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Roger that. Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
KDSG has a bag of 20 surplus replacement lens cells on Ebay for $20, more than half will probably be good, search for "pvs-7 lens" and you will find them. reputable company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top