Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2021 8:19:33 PM EDT
I'm kind of surprised to not see anything else about this up yet, but I guess I'll ask the dumb question. Given the new commercial availability of both 31A's and 1531's, I'm wondering if there's any comparison vs DTNVS systems. I've tried to search, but the archives aren't working great right now.

I've currently got DTNVS on order, with hand select UF WP tubes. I've got minimal time on 31A's and liked them a lot, but my only other NVG experience is PVS-14's and a buddy's RNVGs with Photonis tubes.

Just looking for thoughts on the 31A's vs. 1531 vs. DTNVS with the L3 systems no longer 'grey market'. Use case is training, hunting, SHTF, general night time activities like hiking, star gazing, etc. Price isn't a huge concern, but getting both isn't possible.

Ultimately I'm trying to decide whether the potential shorter wait time of the L3 systems is worth the perceived durability trade off vs. the DTNVS. Planning to call TNVC to discuss tomorrow, but wanted to see if the hive had any experienced opinions to offer as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve used and owned/own all of the ones you reference and the 1531 is my favorite.  Actually it’s my favorite bino made.

ETA: never mind, I haven’t used the DTNVS.  I’ve had the DTNVG
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
How long have you been waiting? Id possibly be interested in buying you out depending on how we could work it out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a lot of time under 31's, but no te under the DTNVS. So take this with a grain of salt.

The DTNVS is cheaper, same L3 tubes can be put in them, has IPD stops like the 31's, tubes shut off when rotated up out of the way, weigh close to the same, and is supposedly more durable.

I think the only advantage of the 31's are the battery pack, though I don't think that's that great of an advantage.

My opinion is that people generally want 31's for the clout of having the same nods as SOF guys. I would definitely get DTNVS with filmless tubes over 31's. They aren't worth $3k more than the DTNVS.

I haven't used 1531s, but they are more expensive as well unless you get the battery pack, and then the only real advantage they present is the illuminator.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shoot me an email tomorrow morning with your phone when you’re good to go and I’ll give you a ring. I’ll check where you’re at on the build list. Besides the cool factor, depending on where you’re at with your build time, it’s can be great way to be guaranteed to get higher spec 2376+ FOM tubes relatively quick.

View Quote

Will, I'll email you tomorrow, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Never used 31 or 1531, but I imagine the gain would be nice in both.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Had my 2376+ fom 1531s now for about a month.  They’re awesome.  I love having the manual gain  
They do come w the battery pack, cable, case, and lens covers.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're stuck on the battery pack option, you can get the dicc tsc for the dtnvs and use one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Do the 1531's have automatic individual channel cut-off when rotated up from the center housing?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I would probably stick with the DTNVS for the fact that it takes standard unmodified 10160's which you can switch out or have switched out by anybody, combined with the durability and warranty support. If you really think you need a battery pack go 1531's. I don't see the 31A's to be very compelling compared to these two other options.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Can the 1531 take a coti?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have Dtnvs on order

for a minute i considered getting 31

but i didn't pull the trigger

wasn't worth the extra $3k plus for me

biggest plus for me is that you can get the 31's quicker

i think there is also a small batch of dtnvs with elibt tubes that will be available sooner than later

sucks to wait but i am sticking with my dtnvs order
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have Dtnvs on order

i think there is also a small batch of dtnvs with elibt tubes that will be available sooner than later

View Quote

That was my main consideration.  And I already have DTNVGs from the July sale, but wanted a) a backup set, b) try unfilmed tubes, c) see how much difference the weight saving actually makes, and d) try out something new and cool!  Between the discount codes and special price, figured what the heck.  I don't see much reason on paper to go 1531 instead of DTNVS; I don't see much difference on paper between DTNVG and DTNVS apart from aesthetics (the S looks awesome).  If I hate the 31s, I figure I can parley them into something else I like.

Those are gone, gone, gone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That was my main consideration.  And I already have DTNVGs from the July sale, but wanted a) a backup set, b) try unfilmed tubes, c) see how much difference the weight saving actually makes, and d) try out something new and cool!  Between the discount codes and special price, figured what the heck.  I don't see much reason on paper to go 1531 instead of DTNVS; I don't see much difference on paper between DTNVG and DTNVS apart from aesthetics (the S looks awesome).  If I hate the 31s, I figure I can parley them into something else I like.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have Dtnvs on order

I snagged one of those contract DTNVS w/elbit tubes.

The only thing 31s have that interests me is the better glass but not in exchange for a fixed diopter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can the 1531 take a coti?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do the 1531's have automatic individual channel cut-off when rotated up from the center housing?
View Quote

Pretty sure it doesn’t.  Only turns off when you flip it up.  
I’ll check tonight at work for sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only thing 31s have that interests me is the better glass but not in exchange for a fixed diopter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have Dtnvs on order

That's a fantastic buy.  If I didn't already have the DTNVGs I'd have done the same.  A good case to be made that's what I *logically* should've done.  The heart wants what it wants...

Will see how the diopter issue goes for me.  Hopefully I'm in the "95th percentile of users," lol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a fantastic buy.  If I didn't already have the DTNVGs I'd have done the same.  A good case to be made that's what I *logically* should've done.  The heart wants what it wants...

Will see how the diopter issue goes for me.  Hopefully I'm in the "95th percentile of users," lol.
View Quote

There is a whole line of diopters that can be purchased separately.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is a whole line of diopters that can be purchased separately.
View Quote

I was informed by someone at TNVC that you had to buy the whole set of diopters for the PVS-31a, which is north of $2000.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was informed by someone at TNVC that you had to buy the whole set of diopters for the PVS-31a, which is north of $2000.
View Quote

Entirely possible.

Just going by what I see with separate part numbers for each diopter so figured each could be bought separately.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
PVS-31A, 1531, DTNVS, oh my....

Tune in tonight it's gonna be a reeeeeal good one
View Quote

GPNVG 2376+ min fom calling it now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bro I f'n love your new avatar lol
View Quote

I like to switch it up with some new dumb shit every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Why did you spell soon with four Os and a big gap?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would probably stick with the DTNVS for the fact that it takes standard unmodified 10160's which you can switch out or have switched out by anybody, combined with the durability and warranty support. If you really think you need a battery pack go 1531's. I don't see the 31A's to be very compelling compared to these two other options.
View Quote

Showing my ignorance here, but do the 1531s and 31As use “non-standard”!tubes? Thought the 31s went back to the “7s and 14s” tubes, but perhaps I misread/didn’t accurately comprehend what I’ve read.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Is it what I think it is
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#29]

At first I was like

But then my wallet was like

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Showing my ignorance here, but do the 1531s and 31As use “non-standard”!tubes? Thought the 31s went back to the “7s and 14s” tubes, but perhaps I misread/didn’t accurately comprehend what I’ve read.

View Quote

the 1531s and 31As use a 11769 tube which is a PVS 14 tube, the DTNVS uses a 10160 tube which is a aviation tube, 7s use a 10130
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

the 1531s and 31As use a 11769 tube which is a PVS 14 tube, the DTNVS uses a 10160 tube which is a aviation tube, 7s use a 10130
View Quote

They use modified 11769s. They are not plug and play like normal 11769 tubes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They use modified 11769s. They are not plug and play like normal 11769 tubes.
View Quote

Can you explain the difference further?  Could you swap a 31A tube into a -14?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Off to buy a mega millions ticket now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can you explain the difference further?  Could you swap a 31A tube into a -14?
View Quote

Heres a broken 11769 from a DRMO’ed PVS-31A. Instead of a pigtail like a normal 11769, it uses a flex circuit that conforms to the side of the tube. Similar to the 11769/ENVG tubes used in the AN/PSQ-20. You technically could pull that off and put a regular gain pigtail in it, but there’s no point because these tubes are only made for special purpose and, to my knowledge anyway, they aren’t available to the general public as standalone tubes the way 11769s and 10160s are. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Heres a broken 11769 from a DRMO’ed PVS-31A. Instead of a pigtail like a normal 11769, it uses a flex circuit that conforms to the side of the tube. Similar to the 11769/ENVG tubes used in the AN/PSQ-20. You technically could pull that off and put a regular gain pigtail in it, but there’s no point because these tubes are only made for special purpose and, to my knowledge anyway, they aren’t available to the general public as standalone tubes the way 11769s and 10160s are. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460535/94E87EC4-2C29-4231-B290-CC9602E82E0C_jpe-1792331.JPG
View Quote

Ahh, thank you and I appreciate the visual as well.  Just thinking down the road if L3 drops support for the 31A housing/parts... seems like you could repurpose the tubes at a minimum - some work required!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ahh, thank you and I appreciate the visual as well.  Just thinking down the road if L3 drops support for the 31A housing/parts... seems like you could repurpose the tubes at a minimum - some work required!
View Quote

I don’t expect to ever see that happen, and to get the tubes out requires basically destroying the whole goggle unless you send it to L3 to do it the right way. If I recall correctly, the lenses are glued in
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don’t expect to ever see that happen, and to get the tubes out requires basically destroying the whole goggle unless you send it to L3 to do it the right way. If I recall correctly, the lenses are glued in
View Quote

Good info again!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That alone would make me want a dtnvs over the 31's, I like easily serviceable equiptment with common parts. Ive been enjoying my dtnvg's so far.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#40]
all are nice goggles.  DTNVS just got in hand is really nice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#42]
For the record, I had a great talk with Will at TNVC and decided to stay with my DTNVS order.

If/when I get a second set of binos down the road, it's gonna be 1531's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do the 31As and 1531s share tubes?
View Quote

Both use MX-11769 tubes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have Dtnvs on order

One if them is mine
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For the record, I had a great talk with Will at TNVC and decided to stay with my DTNVS order.

View Quote

What were some key points?

I was thinking warrantee support. 31 and 1531 probably go back to L3 for repairs, while the DTNVS can be repaired by TNVC.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was thinking warrantee support. 31 and 1531 probably go back to L3 for repairs, while the DTNVS can be repaired by TNVC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warranty was a big one. The L3 units are 1 year, have to go back to L3 for repair. Also, durability, the tubes shutting off when rolled up on the DTNVS, but not 1531 or 31A, and the fact that I’d actually have lower minimums specs getting the contract tubes vs. what I called out for hand select.

1531’s available for rapid delivery were sold out by the time I called and lead times are comparable to TNVC-built systems.

I ended up feeling like 31A’s were 3K more expensive for essentially the battery pack and saving 3oz of weight. Wasn’t right for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Warranty was a big one. The L3 units are 1 year, have to go back to L3 for repair. Also, durability, the tubes shutting off when rolled up on the DTNVS, but not 1531 or 31A, and the fact that I'd actually have lower minimums specs getting the contract tubes vs. what I called out for hand select.

1531's available for rapid delivery were sold out by the time I called and lead times are comparable to TNVC-built systems.

I ended up feeling like 31A's were 3K more expensive for essentially the battery pack and saving 3oz of weight. Wasn't right for me.
View Quote

Good info! Thanks. I'm sticking with my DTNVSs as well. They should be here soon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I went with 31's in part because of the February delivery date. If I end up buying a another set of binos it will like be the DNTVS. I do wish TNVC offered the option for Ether glass though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good info! Thanks. I'm sticking with my DTNVSs as well. They should be here soon.
View Quote

There's the cool factor associated with the L3 stuff, but I think the DTNVG/DTNVS are still a equal performing system.

It would be stupid (IMHO) if someone waited all those months for the DNTVS and decide to drop them for these.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#50]
If I already had a DTNVS in the build queue with my hand select specs, I wouldn’t change to the 31a.  BUT, since I didn’t and I’ve always wanted a 31 and now I can have one with high FOM and a great price, it was a no brainer.  I ordered inside of 5 min when they went up.  Can’t wait to add to my stable of great TNVC night vision gear.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top