Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2020 4:37:08 PM EDT
Does anyone know where to purchase and what the tool list is for the tools necessary to assemble and service PVS 14s?  I have seen people use credit cards and hotel keys to make some, but was wondering if there was a source for the correct tools.  I have built and was certified to inspect class III electronics in the past and these would be no different, just a new platform.  I know about them needed to be nitrogen purged also.  Any information would be appreciated.  

Thank You,

IDHunt
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Think AB Nightvision has the wrench for the lock rings though it isn’t really necessary but I’m sure would be nice to have. Need an allen wrench for the objective lock ring set screw (what are they - 1/32”?). I used an awl point to remove and install the internal lock rings. I’d recommend a small set of needle nose with longish jaws to remove and reinstall what I believe are the gain control contacts (the two long pins). Be gentle with those. Oh, and wear a pair of rubber gloves to avoid getting oils on the lenses, maybe a can of air, some microfiber cloth.

I’ve thought about making a sealed box to try my own purging.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been trying to locate a set of tools myself. AB Night Vision does in fact manufacture the tooling. But, they won't sell directly to individuals. They will refer you to their vendor list on their website (I've asked before) I've asked some of the vendors on the list, and they won't sell the tools unfortunately. It's almost as if they want to corner the market on night vision builds

Really OP, you don't need a tool set if you are gonna assemble a unit or two. The tools only come in handy for those assembling these units frequently as it speeds up the process. IF you can even locate the tools, they will run you over $100 for a set. That's a decent investment for someone that will only assemble a unit or two.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the input.  I was just cruising my old optics suppliers websites and found Thorlabs has tools for optics.  I wonder if they make sizes that will work for the 14s?  Once again thank you!

IDHunt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top