Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2019 7:00:15 PM EDT
I kept my helmet hanging on the wall of my safe room for the past 4 months without a lens cap on the 14. Last night I took the setup out and tube was cloudy and has this streak. So I proceeded to use the " Sock Drawer Method" inside a Pelican case. So far 24 hours with no change I can see... I never thought of needing a lens cap when the NOD was off till a few hours off reading, did I just learn the hard way??

OMNIVIII autogated man gain

(Before Resetting)

(24 hours in Dark)
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
One more thing I noticed. The 14 had a small solid blem where the line starts. I cannot find the blem now which I find odd. blem is still there
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was indeed off, and especially with no battery in it, I don’t think it’s possible it could be light damage
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember @NVGDude @NVGdude saying something about solar damage on some Anvis a pilot left inside a cockpit without lens caps, so sound like it’s possible
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was indeed off, and especially with no battery in it, I don’t think it’s possible it could be light damage
View Quote
I do leave batteries in my devices because I take them out almost every night.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it is tube damage, I don't think its from light. Not only does it not look like any light damage I've seen pics of, I don't see how that could even happen with the tube turned off
View Quote
I had the 14 fall from about 6ft onto wood maybe 3 months ago, but this just showed up last night and it doesn't look like debris to me since its ghosting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
are your lenses scratched or dirty. you'd be surprised how many pilots bring them into my shop with scratched or just dirty lenses. you'd be more surprised if I showed you the crap we find during 6 month inspections that went unnoticed by the user. Like bridges that are cracked 3/4 way through and flexing, but not reported until the 6 month insp
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
are your lenses scratched or dirty. you'd be surprised how many pilots bring them into my shop with scratched or just dirty lenses. you'd be more surprised if I showed you the crap we find during 6 month inspections that went unnoticed by the user. Like bridges that are cracked 3/4 way through and flexing, but not reported until the 6 month insp
View Quote
Ive had lens protectors on the front and a filter on the back since purchase. The first thing I did was clean the lens with 99%iso and inspect everything with a magnifier. But good advice, always start with the basics that are easily overlooked.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it was indeed off, and especially with no battery in it, I don't think it's possible it could be light damage
View Quote
The technical data I've read says it's possible and that any light exposure to the tube with or without batteries on or off can damage the tube. ymmv.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The technical data I've read says it's possible and that any light exposure to the tube with or without batteries on or off can damage the tube. ymmv.
View Quote
How do you work on them? Can you use a red light, like a dark room? Or do you have to wear NVGs to work on your NVGs???
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you work on them? Can you use a red light, like a dark room? Or do you have to wear NVGs to work on your NVGs???
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hahaha I would love to see that
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Reminds me of solar damage. Were they hanging in a position such that sunlight could fall onto them, even if briefly in the morning, afternoon, or whenever? Was the pinhole cover in place at all times?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Try to power it up with the ocular lens off and see if the streak is present. Since you have it partially disassembled might as well remove the tube and give it a good cleaning on the inside. The fogging maybe from moisture inside of your 14. I had a single strand of hair on my PVS7 that I cleaned multiple times. Turns out it was on the ocular side of the tube that for some reason was hard to dislodge with 99% alcohol and compressed air.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Reminds me of solar damage. Were they hanging in a position such that sunlight could fall onto them, even if briefly in the morning, afternoon, or whenever? Was the pinhole cover in place at all times?
View Quote
No lens cap for 4 months in original post
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try to power it up with the ocular lens off and see if the streak is present. Since you have it partially disassembled might as well remove the tube and give it a good cleaning on the inside. The fogging maybe from moisture inside of your 14. I had a single strand of hair on my PVS7 that I cleaned multiple times. Turns out it was on the ocular side of the tube that for some reason was hard to dislodge with 99% alcohol and compressed air.
View Quote
This was my first thought too, at least from the picture. It's pretty easy to figure out of this is the case.

If the hair is in the objective, a pinhole cap should make a visible difference over an open objective.

If it's in the ocular, it should move with head position.

David
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
No windows in the safe room only led strip lighting and my workbench lights. I had the wilcox sacrificial on the front so never bothered with a cover... I hope that wasn't a mistake.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll give this a shot once I try David's method. I've never disassembled this NOD  but I have pulled my pvs7s apart plenty of times.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No windows in the safe room only led strip lighting and my workbench lights. I had the wilcox sacrificial on the front so never bothered with a cover... I hope that wasn't a mistake.
View Quote
Does the shading and line match anything in the room?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it was indeed off, and especially with no battery in it, I don't think it's possible it could be light damage
I had no idea this was possible. I store mine without batteries and with covers on inside a padded pouch in a safe, but still....that’s frightening!
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Does the shading and line match anything in the room?
View Quote
I have been looking at that and it kind of lines up with one of the workbench lights. If that is the case it was an expensive mistake.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have been looking at that and it kind of lines up with one of the workbench lights. If that is the case it was an expensive mistake.
View Quote
Damn sorry to hear that. There’s really nothing to say that helps at all. It’s still worth a shot tearing it down. I’ve dropped a -14 before and it shook loose debris that was inside. It had a more defined shape to its edges though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had no idea this was possible. I store mine without batteries and with covers on inside a padded pouch in a safe, but still....that’s frightening!
View Quote
Same here, except I also use a antistatic bag.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'll give this a shot once I try David's method. I've never disassembled this NOD  but I have pulled my pvs7s apart plenty of times.
View Quote
Search "pvs 14 tutorial" on YouTube.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can still be damaged by light sources.  I make sure to remove batteries and put blackout caps on when going anywhere if I think it's going to be exposed to any significant amount of light that would otherwise normally damage it when powered on.

All these people running nods on their helmet in broad daylight with no caps/bikini covers baffles me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:37:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can still be damaged by light sources.  I make sure to remove batteries and put blackout caps on when going anywhere if I think it's going to be exposed to any significant amount of light that would otherwise normally damage it when powered on.

All these people running nods on their helmet in broad daylight with no caps/bikini covers baffles me.
View Quote
It didn't even cross my mind that indoor lighting could do that till I started reading up on the subject. Got any tubes laying around you want to sell Brodband?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It didn't even cross my mind that indoor lighting could do that till I started reading up on the subject. Got any tubes laying around you want to sell Brodband?
View Quote
Yep.  No tubes unless you want some pricy matched L3 filmless white tubes with reasonably high spec sheets lol. 72 lp/mm, 36.5 snr 20um’s.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Search "pvs 14 tutorial" on YouTube.
View Quote
And get some of this stuff to purge it afterwards. https://www.amazon.com/ArT-Preserver-Argon-Saver-Stopper/dp/B01MEHJCQ2
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And get some of this stuff to purge it afterwards. https://www.amazon.com/ArT-Preserver-Argon-Saver-Stopper/dp/B01MEHJCQ2
View Quote
Thanks for the link. In my cart now
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
@brodband8
Have you seen light damage from this? Curious what it’ll look like. I’m guessing overall darker image like shading across the whole image? Would be good to know when looking at used tubes
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@brodband8
Have you seen light damage from this? Curious what it’ll look like. I’m guessing overall darker image like shading across the whole image? Would be good to know when looking at used tubes
View Quote
Yes.  I’ve also seen completely blemmed beyond hope that happened from being turned off and the battery out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes.  I’ve also seen completely blemmed beyond hope that happened from being turned off and the battery out.
View Quote
@brodband
Have you found the shoebox trick to work on any of those from solar damage?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@brodband
View Quote
I’ve only ever tested it on one or two very minor burn ins with good success.  Just depends on how bad/dark the burn is.  It’s never turned out perfectly it just diminishes how bad it looks.

I’ve always been told to do the sock drawer trick for a day or longer if you can.  Run through multiple batteries.  Make sure no light can get to the unit. Maybe @tnvc could comment on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Op, did you accidentally clip it with a laser briefly?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yea spot on post, really depends on exposure. Mentioned this story before.  Your talking to a guy who had some cigar smoking San Diego thumper guys over one night looking through some pannos and I broke the golden rule not checking when I took them back. Got the call from Clasky at the time a few weeks later saying hey boss L3 called and said the unit had light damage...Me, "how they know it was us?"...Clasky, "the outiline of the tube/s damage was your kitchen"...The only thing that worked to fix those was my check book.
View Quote
Still got pics you can share again? Maybe the OP will feel better seeing that his mistake wasn’t as bad (expensive) as yours, lol .
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yea spot on post, really depends on exposure. Mentioned this story before.  Your talking to a guy who had some cigar smoking San Diego thumper guys over one night looking through some pannos and I broke the golden rule not checking when I took them back. Got the call from Clasky at the time a few weeks later saying hey boss L3 called and said the unit had light damage...Me, "how they know it was us?"...Clasky, "the outiline of the tube/s damage was your kitchen"...The only thing that worked to fix those was my check book.
View Quote
Ouch that had to hurt...
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Op, did you accidentally clip it with a laser briefly?
View Quote
I don't believe so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Still got pics you can share again? Maybe the OP will feel better seeing that his mistake wasn’t as bad (expensive) as yours, lol .
View Quote
Well I have been looking for an excuse to try out a white phosphor tube...
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I vaguely remember this story.  Had to suck lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#43]
A PVS-14 objective, when looking at the sun and brought into focus on a piece of black plastic smokes that plastic very quickly and leaves an obvious molten mark. Extrapolate that to having binos or whatever flipped up on your helmet, running around, and having the objectives catch the sun. Worse yet leave the helmet stationary, like someone's story of NV left in a cockpit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Worse yet leave the helmet stationary, like someone's story of NV left in a cockpit.
View Quote
Easier to diagnose with an ANVIS, we had the exact same damage in both tubes.  As I recall, the goggle was left in an A-10, objectives up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@brodband
I’ve only ever tested it on one or two very minor burn ins with good success.  Just depends on how bad/dark the burn is.  It’s never turned out perfectly it just diminishes how bad it looks.

I’ve always been told to do the sock drawer trick for a day or longer if you can.  Run through multiple batteries.  Make sure no light can get to the unit. Maybe @tnvc could comment on it.
Holy cow.

That one had to hurt
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Easier to diagnose with an ANVIS, we had the exact same damage in both tubes.  As I recall, the goggle was left in an A-10, objectives up.
View Quote
Which means it was powered off.  Use blackout caps when not in use people, it's a simple way of avoiding these issues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ah shit... That is my kitchen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Is it safe to store OR be around light with the butler creek setup ??

Attachment Attached File

“ picture belongs to another poster in another thread “
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#50]
that is a pretty massive hole. is that supposed to be some kind of home brew refocusing cover?

all our daytime training caps have a literal pinhole. you don't even notice them when looking at the caps (we use regular "caplugs")

that one in the picture was drilled with a drill bit and didn't even clean up the edges with a knife or anything
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top