Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 5:09:12 PM EDT
Hey guys!

Recently received my GSCI PVS-14, and have smaller issues with the flip shutdown function.

I have a Norotos AKA2 mount and GSCI j-arm.
But it doesn’t shut off when I flip it up.

Anyone have an idea what may cause this?
It’s my first NVG so I have low to no idea what to try out
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys!

Recently received my GSCI PVS-14, and have smaller issues with the flip shutdown function.

View Quote

If you look at the mounting point of the PVS-14 and the J-arm, there are contacts that complete an electrical circuit. See if there's anything blocking those contacts. If not, look at the wire on the j-arm. Does it look nicked or broken?

All that said, most experienced users tend to disable the auto shutoff on the PVS-14 anyways by blocking the contacts between the housing and the j-arm/DDA. It's better to retain manual control and manually turn the device off when you want to flip up and then turn it back on when it's flipped down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I can tell there is no sign of damage or blockage.

That is probably the best thing to do, but I atleast want to test it and see if I experience any problems.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you look at the mounting point of the PVS-14 and the J-arm, there are contacts that complete an electrical circuit. See if there's anything blocking those contacts. If not, look at the wire on the j-arm. Does it look nicked or broken?

All that said, most experienced users tend to disable the auto shutoff on the PVS-14 anyways by blocking the contacts between the housing and the j-arm/DDA. It's better to retain manual control and manually turn the device off when you want to flip up and then turn it back on when it's flipped down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys!

+1

I also think it’s less wear on the power switch not having to turn it back on after having flipped it up. Just don’t be a dummy and leave it on when its not supposed to be on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1

I also think it’s less wear on the power switch not having to turn it back on after having flipped it up. Just don’t be a dummy and leave it on when its not supposed to be on.
View Quote

For now I am just glad I checked if it worked, otherwise it would probably end pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If your using a pre owned mount the magnet that activates the auto shut off feature might be removed or blocked.

Many people remove or block them so they don’t have them accidentally trip the tube. It’s a small square magnet on the NVD mount. If your missing it the feature wont work. Though many would argue it’s better to not have it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If your using a pre owned mount the magnet that activates the auto shut off feature might be removed or blocked.

Many people remove or block them so they don’t have them accidentally trip the tube. It’s a small square magnet on the NVD mount. If your missing it the feature wont work. Though many would argue it’s better to not have it.
View Quote

It’s brand new from what I can tell, should be atleast. Since it costs around 400 on a deal.
Any idea if I can check if there is a magnet on it?
Its an Norotos AKA2.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, wasn't aware the AKA2 had the magnet/switch/circuit-interupter-thingmuhjigher.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting, wasn't aware the AKA2 had the magnet/switch/circuit-interupter-thingmuhjigher.
View Quote

The shop I bought them from say so, also on tnvc.com say «auto on-off yes»
But I have no idea how it works on them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]
My AKA2 has the magnet they can be defective even new. Sometimes they get stuck open.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My AKA2 has the magnet they can be defective even new. Sometimes they get stuck open.
View Quote

How do I find this magnet?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top