Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 1:10:40 PM EDT
I have a good 10160 tube in a cobbled together set up. Is there a decent pvs-14 type setup that will take my tube? I only want to change mine due to the fact it is pretty much just a hand held unit.  What do you guys recommend?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a good 10160 tube in a cobbled together set up. Is there a decent pvs-14 type setup that will take my tube? I only want to change mine due to the fact it is pretty much just a hand held unit.  What do you guys recommend?
Thanks
View Quote

You can drop it right in any PVS-14 housing. The gain knob won't work since you don't have the gain pigtail.

Super easy to do. Just unscrew the eyepiece, remove the tube retaining ring, slide in the tube lining up the notch in the tube with the stud inside (serial# facing the eyepiece), pop in the light pipe (ETA: it'll have "up" on the side to go up), screw in retaining ring, put eyepiece back on. Use some keyboard duster before you put the eyepiece on. Be prepared for a small piece of debris to show up and repeat removing the eyepiece, cleaning it off, and putting it back on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah - it's always best practice to remove the battery before assembling/disassembling.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep as mentioned, real easy to do. You can buy a PVS-14 kit fully assembled (minus the tube) in the $700 - $800 range. Really, it will only take you about 15 minutes to pop the tube in once you get an assembled PVS-14 kit. Just use the cheap cut up credit card trick for the tube retainer ring.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I can assemble it. I built the one I am replacing. Just looking for places that have a decent kit. Don't really want to eBay.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By distrflman:
I know I can assemble it. I built the one I am replacing. Just looking for places that have a decent kit. Don't really want to eBay.
View Quote

10-4. I thought you meant a kit that would work with a 10160.

I'd hit up @tlandoe07. He's been going through different suppliers trying to find legit mil-spec housings & glass. It doesn't sound like he's had much luck unfortunately. The good stuff seems to be backed up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By will-1:

10-4. I thought you meant a kit that would work with a 10160. 

I'd hit up @tlandoe07. He's been going through different suppliers trying to find legit mil-spec housings & glass. It doesn't sound like he's had much luck unfortunately. The good stuff seems to be backed up.
View Quote

+1 on this. It looks like AGM flooded the market with sub par components.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By distrflman:
I know I can assemble it. I built the one I am replacing. Just looking for places that have a decent kit. Don't really want to eBay.
View Quote

Superior tactical - I ordered a kit just about a month ago. Only place I could find a mil-spec kit for less than $700. It arrived in less than a week - all genuine Carson and ITT parts, no fake glass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I did the same thing and it was very easy. I found a PVS-14 housing kit for a really good price and dropped in the intensifier tube. There was one youtube video I found with good instructions, I recommend you get a can of air spray to blow off any dust you might not see before reassembling.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Same here, I just put one together with an older 10160 last night, very easy to do. I used the cut up credit card trick too and it worked well. Only weird thing was my tube had leads soldered to it from the old housing so those needed to be carefully removed.

The gain doesn’t work and it’s not gated but in the end I have a decent performing gen 3 mono with no blems for 1200 and change
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top