Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2018 11:50:44 AM EDT
Was looking at 7.61x39 rifles
Which is the better choice?  PTR32 or LAR47?
Or is their a better choice?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Was looking at 7.61x39 rifles
Which is the better choice?  PTR32 or LAR47?
Or is their a better choice?
View Quote
have the ptr32 and a ar in 762x39 with AK mags

ptr is heavy, lite recoil, works with most mags, will not work with drums unless modified has the HK ergos which are crap for the most part.

ARs in 762: lite good ergos, all the benifits of the AR platform the big hangup (literally) is the ak mags sometimes work but need to be modded (shorter feed lips) to make it up past the barrel extension.  I sold my MM lower when cproducst came out with ar/762 mags and have been running that.

Most people Ive heard/seen with the lar is they will eaith run well or need tweeking.

if your plan is f/a get the 32, if its a plinker/hunting get the AR
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What is f/a?
thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is f/a?
thanks
View Quote
Full auto
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
O gotcha
I wonder how the Palmetto KS47 is doing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Back around 2003 I was using the 'frankenmags' that were around back in those days before the Cproducts mags were out in full auto with a registered M16 lower.  I wanted more than 30 rounds of fun and wanted to run 75 and 100 round drums.  I don't think you can use drums with the LAR-47 so less options with that.

I got a RDIAS and the AR-47 (Michael's Machines) using drums and the occasional 40 round Bulgarian polymer mags and steel Romanian mags.  I didn't have to shorten my feed lips at all.  I did have to grind on the top of the feed lips for the steel Romanian while the Bulgarian polymers didn't require any touching of the feed lips.
I then switched to the MGI modular lower around 2004 and use the same mags and drums.  I primarily run drums and all full auto.
The biggest problem I had back in those days was the bolts breaking.  I took this picture probably 10 years ago.  I still haven't broken that LMT bolt but did break an extractor.
With more competition these days and better quality, I haven't broken the PSA bolt nor some other ones and I run almost exclusively in full auto.

Video of 75 round drum in full auto using the MGI w/ the AK magwell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HxzM8f8LU

Video of the 40 round Bulgarian mag also using the MGI modular lower w/ the AK magwell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h46zUKXZkNc

I like the MGI lower as a RDIAS owner so I can leave my Geissele SSF in the lower and it is less stuff to drag to the range.  
If you want a dedicated setup, the PSA Gen2 KS47 were just released I think this month and worth a look.  I'm using their Gen1 KS47 BCG with one of my uppers used with the MGI setup.
On that note, if you go with the PSA, or MGI, they are all standard AR receiver length and you can use the same BCG for both and there are other companies making uppers for AK mags that you can choose from.
This is one such company: https://www.billetriflesystems.com/
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the PTR32.  It worked fine with the mag it came with (some polymer mag, don't recall which) but none of my steel AK mags.

It was a way to own a HK91 style rifle without all the negative things about the HK91.  I have less than zero interest in a 762x39 AR, personally.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the PTR32.  It worked fine with the mag it came with (some polymer mag, don't recall which) but none of my steel AK mags.

It was a way to own a HK91 style rifle without all the negative things about the HK91.  I have less than zero interest in a 762x39 AR, personally.
View Quote
From what I read, they did alter the PTR32 to feed a wider range of mags, not sure if you have old or new model or how much of a variety it opened up. I think the originals were designed with Magpul in mind, but not sure. I've been going PTR lately with a PTR 9ct and a C93/PTR model, but I guess the PTR32 is based on the 91 rather than 93, so I don't think I'll get it. I'll probably get a VZ58 again.

I've looked at AR's in 7.62X39, but just... no. I'll stick with 223/300blk/9mm for that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Were I considering an AR variant in 762R, I would only consider the cmmg mk47 mutant. It’s an intermediate size between the standard 5.56 and large frame 7.62x51 guns. The bolt has a larger form factor compared to guns based on the standard 5.56 AR. 7.62x39 bolts based upon the standard AR bolt are inherently weak.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Nutnfancy gave a positive review of the PSA gun.  Said the others were no good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Were I considering an AR variant in 762R, I would only consider the cmmg mk47 mutant. It’s an intermediate size between the standard 5.56 and large frame 7.62x51 guns. The bolt has a larger form factor compared to guns based on the standard 5.56 AR. 7.62x39 bolts based upon the standard AR bolt are inherently weak.
View Quote
AR47s are somewhat proprietary to begin w/, but I'd hate to be totally dependent on a single manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a ptr32 gen 2 for several years, very accurate & the delayed recoil is amazing.
But the weight & balance got old fast, it’s a 10 lb rifle and it’s all up front. The rear drum sight also makes mounting a scope a bit harder.
BTW the Promag AKdrum works fine, it’s got a much taller tower that does not require modification. Not as stout as my Romy drum but it ran fine.

Even the gen 2 was picky with surplus steel mags, most of my Romy mags ran fine, all Magpuls & Tapcos were 100%, Hungarians sorta worked except for my Tankers, Bulgys & Yugos were a no-go.

If you go with the PTR read up on head spacing & replacing rollers. As they wear the head spacing opens up which is corrected with larger rollers. The gap on mine was just barely within spec and would probably have eventually needed +rollers. It’s not as simple as an AK.

No experience with an AR47, but I have several 7.62x39 ARs that take AR mags, they run fine. PSA just rolled out some of their AR47s and I think they added an over insertion tab.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

AR47s are somewhat proprietary to begin w/, but I'd hate to be totally dependent on a single manufacturer.
View Quote
I hear you, but that’s why you buy many many spare parts. Among other things, I own and shoot Swiss SIG 551/552/553, FN FNC, FN SCAR, Steyr AUG....same deal. Buy your spares while they’re available and not stratospherically overpriced.

Also, it’s not like the PTR32 isn’t full of proprietary parts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you go with the PTR read up on head spacing & replacing rollers. As they wear the head spacing opens up which is corrected with larger rollers. The gap on mine was just barely within spec and would probably have eventually needed +rollers. It’s not as simple as an AK.
View Quote
You’re talking about bolt gap, not head spacing. HK pattern roller delay rifles narrow the bolt gap as the rollers wear into the roller recess of the trunion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:. I hear you, but that’s why you buy many many spare parts. Among other things, I own and shoot Swiss SIG 551/552/553, FN FNC, FN SCAR, Steyr AUG....same deal. Buy your spares while they’re available and not stratospherically overpriced.

Also, it’s not like the PTR32 isn’t full of proprietary parts.
View Quote
Sure.  But I'd rather have an AR47 that breaks a lug occasionally and I can easily replace it than be dependent on CMMG for Mutant bolts and bbl extensions, maybe bbl nuts...
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Ptr32 gen 2, as mentioned owners above that it's heavy and she is a heavy girl....but it's just something about it in x39 and absolutely enjoy it.  Using my Bakelite,valmet, norinco steel mags...have no issue other than rocking and giving it really hard slap to seat using the steal mags. My tapco 20rounder I had to take a file to it....to thick to seat in magwell.  I have a tanker 20 rounder no problems.  Even a 5 round Chinese mag works fine.  For a delayed blowback in x39 it is very accurate.

Others to consider in x39 is ur no frills affordable AK type, Like a wasr 1063/Cugir built
Or a bit pricey but great history and a quality built Vz58 from czechpoint
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sure.  But I'd rather have an AR47 that breaks a lug occasionally and I can easily replace it than be dependent on CMMG for Mutant bolts and bbl extensions, maybe bbl nuts...
View Quote
+1.  As mentioned before, I think the currently made bolts are of much better quality than what was available 10+ years ago.  I'm running full auto out of 7.5" barrels that used to break bolts constantly but the recent ones I have tried have not broken.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a PTR 32 I ended up selling to a member on here.  It was a nice range rifle but the weight made in only optimal for that role IMO.  It was a little picky with mags but ran good if you found one it liked.  It kinda expensive but can fill a cool niche if you like the caliber and want a unique rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top