Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2018 11:34:56 PM EDT
I just picked up a PTR K3P (HK G3K clone) with the long term goal of Form 1-ing it into a SBR (e-filed today!).

One of the things I was going to do right away was throw in some tritium night sights. No intent in the near future of any optics, as this is a KISS project.  Got some Meprolight sights for a GREAT deal... but have run into an issue:  PTR pins its front sight, THEN paints.  Making the install of the front a little more complicated than I expected.

I THINK I have a plan of attack, but wanted to think it through and see if anyone else here has blazed this trail ahead of me.

My thought is use an Xacto razor, and carefully slice through the paint along the insert slot (there's probably a proper term for this area, but I don't yet know all my nomenclature)... then drive out the roll pin, and gently tap out the front sight ring, trying to avoid chips & dings in existing paint.  Install the now front, and touch up where necessary with some air-dry Cerekote.

If I'm way off base, please tell me. I plan on taking a shot at it next weekend, unless I hear differently.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Done. Turned out fine, but was a bit of a bitch.

On mine (new-old-stock 2016), pin pushes out the front, versus the rear, and the OEM tin sight right was in there TIGHT.  Night sights went in fine, and no dents or dings to show for it.  And of course now the irons have some use during dusk/dark.

I put the rear on, too.  Gives a bit of a blurry glow to center the front sight between, and a reference for elevation.  But I can also see why some skip it.  I did omit the lock washer, as it placed the head of the screw high enough to interfere with the 'V' notch a little bit.  Will eventually figure out the thread pitch and see if I can fing a screw with a lower profile head... Or some locking/knurling on the base, or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top