Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2018 9:08:19 PM EDT
I'm considering a PTR-91 pistol 8.5, ITS sort of like a 308 MP5 but really, really loud .  I like the looks of it thinking a long term goal would be SBR with retractable stock.  Anything good or bad about these - Yes loud, lots of blast.  Are they reliable?  Anything to know about them.  Anyone try removing the rollers and running DAG training ammo?

I have a few thousand rounds of it  I have the special plastic training ammo bolt for my HK91, but its not cut to pistol length (yet!).
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That's my grail gun.

I know selecting the correct rollers and bolt weight play into it, but I have no real world experience. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it.

Expensive to feed is the only complaint.

I'm thinking about a ptr32 pistol as ammo is half price.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend has one sbr'd and that bitch is awesome.

reliable with all ammo and loves the steel cased stuff. He runs it with a dead air pyro and it pisses people off at the range Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think PTR makes the PDW version but they are out there.....and are a blast with a sear.

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The PDW uses a custom cut down recoil spring setup...that was one of the reasons I didn't look too hard at getting one, other than that if I got one I'd want to suppress it at some point...and a 8" 30 cal barrel is going to bring pain to any can out there. I didn't want to have to custom order recoil springs and all that.

I wound up going for the K3P pistol; G3K barrel length (12 and change), no bespoke or custom parts. It uses standard G3 bolt carriers and recoil springs, an HK93 hand guard...and 12"+ barrels are that much kinder to your cans. Still need to run a comp as a sacrificial baffle, but it's cheaper to replace than a new can.

It's not as tiny as the PDW but it's not THAT much bigger either, and the barrel length is in line with most SBR 308s out there (SCAR 17's CQC barrel for example). I probably should have just gotten a barrel for my SCAR...I'll do that later though.

Mine works fine as a pistol; I put in a #17 locking piece (the more obtuse the angle, the better it should function with a can on) and it still runs without a can. With a can on, it seems to cycle as normal...but we'll see how it acts when I put a stock on it and shoulder it once my stamp comes back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad ass to shoot. PTR PDW Pistol SBR.

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd also be lying if there wasn't a part of me that deeply regrets not getting the PDW...that thing looks like it'd just be so much fun with a stock on it
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]
how accurate are these things? I hadn't really looked at these much before but seeing Atlantic's pics, I'm curious about the K3P PDW and the 51P PDW. Already have a PTR 9CT so more leaning towards spending the extra $90 for the K3P with intent to SBR it, though it's by no means a clear choice.

Will either be accurate with the short barrels though? Or more just a fun way to go through ammo?

As for a can on it, I've got 2 inbound that I think may work. I know the DeadAir Sandman S has no min barrel length. not sure on the Q Half Nelson. Do know that my SiCo Omega is apparently not rated for 308 on the 51P's short barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top