Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 4:04:21 PM EDT
I have FTF(eed)s every now and then where the bolt slams shut (partially) on a halfway fed round, usually disforming the case. It happens every now and then on the surplus aluminum 20s I have, while it happens all the time multiple times per magazine) on some steel 20s I just bought. The steel 20s were still in wrap and some in plastic, but all dried out with some corrosion/rust to varying degrees.

It is possible that these issues are magazine related - I haven't really paid much attention to trying to track whether it is tied to specific mags yet but will label them to do so going forward. That said, I know it has occurred using multiple mags, so I am not sure that it is.

That said, the steels for sure need some kind of remedy, they are rough and stick and don't feed as stated above. Is sand/bead blasting a good way to go here? Dremel? What else?

Edit: 4/6/2020 - Updated assumptions given conversations

Edit: 4/6/2020 - Contact made with PTR - sending rifle in for inspection.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy new mags, they are dirt cheap.  Not worth refinishing.

Do you have the stock locking piece in your giun?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy new mags, they are dirt cheap.  Not worth refinishing.

Do you have the stock locking piece in your giun?
View Quote

RE point #1 - yeah I have definitely considered this... it would really be as more of a personal project than as the most efficient way to solve the problem, I just like the idea of fixing them but you're 100% correct.

RE point #2 - I haven't changed anything out on the rifle since purchasing new, so I assume yes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The number of different mags the OP has issues with has me suspecting the gun just based on the statistics of having so many bad mags.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The number of different mags the OP has issues with has me suspecting the gun just based on the statistics of having so many bad mags.
View Quote

It could be, I need to actually try different mags and label them and track the results because to be honest I may have been using the same 2-3 mags on top of the bag. That will hopefully rule one thing or the other out.

Anything else to check on the rifle itself?

Ammo is mostly Federal brass 308 FMJ
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's your bolt gap measure?
View Quote

.305mm is the biggest feeler I could fit
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

.305mm is the biggest feeler I could fit
View Quote

Right in the middle of ideal IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right in the middle of ideal IIRC.
View Quote

Yup - .1mm to .5mm is the range. Before cleaning I was coming up with about .254mm then after cleaning out carbon/gunk I came up with the .305mm... if it has an issue, I don't think bolt gap is it, but I'm far removed from roller lock expert so I'm willing to hear proof I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
When you check your bolt gap are you checking it dry fired? It can give a different measurement than a cocked hammer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Failure to feed or failure to fire? Brand new gun?

ETA: I have a PTR 32 2nd gen that was having intermittent issues of just shy of going all the way into battery that was causing a failure to fire. Replaced the recoil spring with a new one from RTG parts which fixed my issue.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When you check your bolt gap are you checking it dry fired? It can give a different measurement than a cocked hammer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. Lock the bolt to the rear, give the handle the ol HK slap, flip the safety off and pull the trigger until click and then measure.

Quoted:
Failure to feed or failure to fire? Brand new gun?

ETA: I have a PTR 32 2nd gen that was having intermittent issues of just shy of going all the way into battery that was causing a failure to fire. Replaced the recoil spring with a new one from RTG parts which fixed my issue.

Sorry - failure to feed. The round gets about half stripped out of the mag before the bolt closes, with the bottom leading edge of the bold impacting the side of the casing about 1/3 to 1/2 the way between the shoulder and the rim.

The gun isnt brand new, it was purchased new from Atlantic in 2014. That said, round count is probably between 300 and 400, and it has been doing this every now and then from the beginning as far as I can remember.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes. Lock the bolt to the rear, give the handle the ol HK slap, flip the safety off and pull the trigger until click and then measure.

Sorry - failure to feed. The round gets about half stripped out of the mag before the bolt closes, with the bottom leading edge of the bold impacting the side of the casing about 1/3 to 1/2 the way between the shoulder and the rim.

The gun isnt brand new, it was purchased new from Atlantic in 2014. That said, round count is probably between 300 and 400, and it has been doing this every now and then from the beginning as far as I can remember.

View Quote
PTR does have a life time warranty to the original purchaser.

You can also summon @ATLANTIC-FIREARMS  
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PTR does have a life time warranty to the original purchaser.

You can also summon @ATLANTIC-FIREARMS  
View Quote

Thanks - yeah I actually just emailed PTR, not sure between PTR and Atlantic who would ultimately take point but that's a good suggestion as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The rifle warranty would be covered by PTR but if you have any problem reaching them please feel free to contact Atlantic Firearms we will be more than glad to help make the connection . Please keep in mind at this time the Covid 19 Virus has most companys stretched a bit thin due to office workplace restrictions etc .
View Quote

Awesome, thanks. If I have any issues I'll let y'all know.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks. If I have any issues I'll let y'all know.

View Quote
Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Update: the box showed up at a UPS terminal with a hole in it and no rifle to be found... so that’s that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By coastal_shredder:
Update: the box showed up at a UPS terminal with a hole in it and no rifle to be found... so that’s that.
View Quote

Dammit.  
Insured?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By j97531:

Dammit.  
Insured?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By j97531:
Update: the box showed up at a UPS terminal with a hole in it and no rifle to be found... so that’s that.

Dammit.  
Insured?

Yes, they’re looking for it now but I have a feeling it won’t turn up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Possibly one of the models they sent out with incorrect cut barrel flutes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Possibly one of the models they sent out with incorrect cut barrel flutes.
View Quote
That would not affect FTF....teh flutes were an extraction issue.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, they're looking for it now but I have a feeling it won't turn up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update: the box showed up at a UPS terminal with a hole in it and no rifle to be found... so that's that.

Dammit.  
Insured?

Yes, they're looking for it now but I have a feeling it won't turn up.
Could be a win/win.  Get a new rifle that works correctly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
UPS found it... how bout that
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Did they send pictures?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Any updates? Did you get it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#27]
It went back to PTR first for an inspection then it will be coming back to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It went back to PTR first for an inspection then it will be coming back to me.
View Quote
Any word from PTR yet?

@coastal-shredder
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any word from PTR yet?

@coastal-shredder
View Quote

Haven’t gotten any updates since they got it back. I got a notification a shipping label was created a week ago to send it back to me but it hasn’t been given to UPS yet. I sent them an email yesterday asking for an update but haven’t gotten a response back yet. A little frustrating, I just want my gun back!

The notes from the original warranty work stated that the bolt was replaced and the mag well was modified.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I had to call them. Repeatedly. And email. Response was pretty slow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Received the rifle back a few days ago. Can’t really tell much different but the main thing I did notice is that the mag well is noticeably tighter, to the point where rocking some of the magazines in takes a little force. I took the rifle to the range yesterday, loaded up two magazines and ripped thru 40 rounds as fast as I could after a few slow shots at first. Then I reloaded the two magazines and fired off another 40 in quick succession. No failures or issues.

It will take some more rounds strung together with no issues until I’m truly confident the issue has been resolved, and I didn’t really have time to settle in and check grouping, but it’s a good start and while it’s possible it’s a fluke, it previously wouldn’t have cycled 80 rounds like that without at least one or two failures.

I’ll report again after the next range trip, a few more mags and accuracy retest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Good to hear the issue may have been taken care of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top