Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 4:54:21 PM EDT
It looks interesting.

Anyone have one they can comment on?

And, I see they have a build set on sale??  Stripped upper, stripped lower and bolt/carrier for $399.00.

palmetto state armory ks-47-essential-parts-build-kit

Edited the title - screwed up the title originally.  Meant to say mix between the AR15 and AK47 but at the time I was thinking if I got one would I build it as a pistol, a carbine or a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s great.  Always sells out, thanks for the link, didn’t know they made a builders kit.

In on 2 pistols (weeks ago) and this kit today.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Just looked at the web site - Out of Stock.  Already.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just looked at the web site - Out of Stock.  Already.
View Quote

Yeah, the KS47 parts move fast. Get on the notification list and be ready to pounce.

It is a fun setup and gives x39 a much more ergonomic platform.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
They're back, listed in the daily deals.  

palmettostatearmory ks-47
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm gonna stop listing that stuff.  Just tried to check the link and it doesn't even show now (the builder's kit.)  From $399 to disappeared in a few short minutes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
That's strange.  If I use Fire Fox (going from e-mails) to the PSA web page it shows as still there.

If I use Microsoft's web browser and use the link in the above post it doesn't show at all, not even as sold out, it's just not there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the complete gun last year...  So I can't say how good the "kits" are... But the rifle I bought has been great.  It's one of my favorite guns to shoot, and saved me from spending over a grand on a CMMG mutant- which I'm sure is a better gun, but I'm not taking this thing to battle, I just kill beer cans in my backyard.

ETA: I would have went pistol at the time, but they were sold out.  I took what they had...  It was 649 I believe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have suggestions on barrels? PSA is out of stock of their 7.62x39 barrels.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got email from KAK they have their 11" value-line x39 barrel in stock.  They are standard AR though, unsure of any differences the KS upper would need (I don't think there are any for the barrel, etc)
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw the KAK barrels in stock yesterday and almost ordered one.

I need to call a guy (TTI) in Ashland and make sure he will drill/pin a standard AR front sight base on a nitrided barrel for me before I go that route.  Right now, I think I want to use that "look" of the standard front sight base with some Magpul handguards up front.

If TTI can do it (had them drill/pin a front sight base on a 9MM carbine for me a couple years back) then I'll probably get one of the KAK barrels.  Their ad says they are Green Mountain blanks turned/machined to fit ARs.

Got the PSA kit.  Got some other parts on order.  Need to order some others.  Will put pieces together as they come in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got email from KAK they have their 11" value-line x39 barrel in stock.  They are standard AR though, unsure of any differences the KS upper would need (I don't think there are any for the barrel, etc)
View Quote

PSAs is a standard barrel with an m4 extension but they mill the bottom two humps out to make one big feed ramp. It help with reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I purchased the ks47 lower when they first were released, and sat on it for a couple years before the KS47 were available. It has been pretty good rifle.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
@M1A4ME

KS47 parts, uppers, kits, lowers are back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Any one care to recommend a drop in trigger for this lower?

In fact are there any true drop in triggers that can reliably ignite (potentially) harder primers that plague cheap 7.62x39?

Typically I use the Hiperfire with the green springs for x39, but I dont want to spend that much this time. I am willing to spend about $100 (shipped and taxes).  If the LaRue MBT straight can be made to work with x39, I’m all in.  I have not tried the MBT with x39, so y’all tell me if it works right out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any one care to recommend a drop in trigger for this lower?

In fact are there any true drop in triggers that can reliably ignite (potentially) harder primers that plague cheap 7.62x39?

Typically I use the Hiperfire with the green springs for x39, but I dont want to spend that much this time. I am willing to spend about $100 (shipped and taxes).  If the LaRue MBT straight can be made to work with x39, I’m all in.  I have not tried the MBT with x39, so y’all tell me if it works right out of the box.
View Quote

I got mine the in the summer of 2019 and the factory trigger is surprisingly good.   A lot better than I would expect of an AR in the same price range.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Any one care to recommend a drop in trigger for this lower?

View Quote

Had trouble w/ the MBT on .22 LR primers.  Swapped the LaRue spring for a regular hammer spring, problem went away.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got back into town from a trip to the mountains (where there is no internet, cellphone signal, etc.

Anyway, I started ordering parts last week/weekend.  The next few days I expect to get the headspace gauge set tomorrow, the barrel in a few days, I've got a package on the kitchen table I need to go open.

I think the only thing I'll need to finish it off, besides some work, is a back up rear sight, the work to get the front sight post drilled/pinned to the barrel, and an optic (most likely a red dot).

I'll try to remember to take some pictures of parts and build progress.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
So, my lower came in yesterday, upper should be tomorrow.  

Tested mag function with my lower.  Could not get my polymer mags to load *except* my Tapco, and only one of 3 at that.  Steel mags locked in fine.  

Anyone else have that issue?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, my lower came in yesterday, upper should be tomorrow.  

Tested mag function with my lower.  Could not get my polymer mags to load *except* my Tapco, and only one of 3 at that.  Steel mags locked in fine.  

Anyone else have that issue?
View Quote

MAC has a video on this, seems most AR47 type rifles are picky on mags.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

MAC has a video on this, seems most AR47 type rifles are picky on mags.
View Quote

I picked up the Magpul ak mags.   Seems to like them just fine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Just went in on a lower, hopefully the uppers don’t stay unobtainable for long.

Really wanted a 10.5”, hopefully I can nab one when they get back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally got my barrel.  It and the parts for it (except the handguards) are at TTI for drilling of the front sight base/barrel and FSB installation on the barrel.

I need to get the lower put together and the upper as well so it's all ready when he calls to tell me I can come pick it up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Can someone post a picture of a PSA KS47 barrel extension?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Get one, its a good time. Mine hasn't broken the extractor on 2k rounds 500 subs. Runs 100% with subs, the only ammo it doesn't like is tulammo with the can on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I got to play with mine yesterday.  Experienced a weird issue.  The recoil was causing the mags to unlock.  Every.single.round

Magpul mags. Didnt get a chance to check steel mags.  Was running suppressed russian.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Just picked mine up from the FFL. Well the lower anyway... upper is inbound.

Was hoping there was a go to on mags, as I like to keep my guns/mags uniform. But it seems that we just need to try a bunch and hope for the best?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just picked mine up from the FFL. Well the lower anyway... upper is inbound.

Was hoping there was a go to on mags, as I like to keep my guns/mags uniform. But it seems that we just need to try a bunch and hope for the best?
View Quote

Magpul and metal mags, per their website.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine has worked with a bunch of mags I use the AC-unity mags with no problems. The only mags I've had problems with are the KCI mags, they sit too low and the bolt won't pick up a round.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine would not function anywhere near reliably with several magazines of different origins and several types of ammo.

I sent it back.

They sent it back functioning great.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#31]
PSA fan here as I've been impressed with their AR-V builders kit. Assembled mine into a 4.5" pistol and love it.

That said, how is this an improvement over a "typical" 7.62 X 39 AR??  I own one that I assembled and it's been awesome. Granted, I had to buy special mags for it, but it runs flawlessly and uses standard AR parts.  

Not liking that PSA offering sounds to be finicky with some AK mags.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
PSA fan here as I've been impressed with their AR-V builders kit. Assembled mine into a 4.5" pistol and love it.

That said, how is this an improvement over a "typical" 7.62 X 39 AR??  I own one that I assembled and it's been awesome. Granted, I had to buy special mags for it, but it runs flawlessly and uses standard AR parts.  

Not liking that PSA offering sounds to be finicky with some AK mags.
View Quote

If you use surplus mags it's all good, crappy mags don't work well. circle 10, bakes, ac unity work well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Just received some of the “steel reinforced polymer”Bulgarian mags, the ones with the reinforced feed lips.

One of the 6 clicks in great, the other 5 need the mag catch pulled back to lock em in. No live fire yet.

I need to do more looking, but it looks like the interference is at the front of the mag, so it should be an easy file job. Figured for $18 i was willing to try em. If nothing else I’ll get some AC mags and rotate these into the AK stash
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#34]
So, good news on my end.  After changing the brace from the shockwave to the SB3A (which uses a different buffer tube)  the gun works!   Put a 100rds through it today, surplus and magpul mags, zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Just following up on the steel lined Bulgarian mags, with the reinforced feed lips.

Had to remove some material at the top of the front locking lug and break the upper edge slightly where it interfaces with the feed ramp, no dremel required, just hand files. Also had to remove some material where it hits the over insertion stops in the upper. Again, no dremel.
All in all it took about 30 seconds each.

No live fire yet, but they snap in with authority now, solid click that I’m used to with my ARs and AKs.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Got all my barrel parts up to TTI.

Waiting on Rick to call.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry for the late addition.

Got the upper with the front sight pinned to the barrel and flash suppressor installed.

Finally got it out to shoot (should have done it a month ago but heat/humidity, truck problems, etc. convinced me otherwise.

Got to shoot it last weekend.  Problems.  Probably just figured out why.

It would chamber and fire, but not fire the next shot.  Combination of ejecting the empty but not picking up the next round from the magazine, or stove piping the empty, required pulling the bolt back to grab every round fired.  Man was it stiff getting that bolt back.  Sighted it in at 25 yds.  Nice groups with Wolf 124 grain FMJ.  Some were nickel sized (meaning covered the 3 holes) and some groups had two round tearing one big hole.  That was with the back up sights and me fighting with my glasses moving around on my cheek/nose while trying to look through the rear sight.

Cleaned it and put it away to await getting back from the mountains.

Kept thinking about it but not doing anything about it.

Rained today.  Got it out along with another (.223/5.56) AR15.  Bolt was slick and easy to pull back on the older one.  The KS47 was really tough and draggy.

Pulled the buffer springs and buffers out of both.  Counted the coils.   Damn, that's a funny number.

KS47 buffer spring (no idea now whether it came from my box of spares or with the buffer tube, or where I got it) had 30 coils and they are bigger in diameter than the buffer spring from the 5.56 AR15.  Oh, the spring is also almost 2" longer.

The AR15 buffer spring had 38 coils that were a smaller diameter and it was shorter in overall length.

Swap the buffers and springs (both buffers are H2s) and the 5.56 AR15 is hard as hell to get the bolt back on.  I'll bet it won't function with that new buffer spring either.  Pull the bolt back on the KS47 with the older/used AR15 buffer spring in it and it's smooth and easy.

Gotta get out in the shed tomorrow, find that box of new carbine recoil springs and compare those to the two I just looked at tonight.

Maybe next time I can get this thing to work at the range.  Here's hoping anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally remembered this morning to look for that box of carbine springs.

Only three of the ten left after how ever many years ago it was I bought them.

Grabbed one, started counting coils, 42???  Whoops, not a carbine spring.  The other 2 were 38 coil springs.  Grabbed one and headed inside before seeing the box of new zero turn mower blades (but that's a different story.)

Got done with that and got back inside.  Installed the 38 coil spring in the KS47 after removing the thicker 30 coil spring.  Smooth as glass now, pulling the bolt back.  Hoping that fixed the issue, won't know till I get it to the range.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#39]
KS47 uses an AR-10 spring.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Got it to the range with the new Holoson pistol sight on the elevated mount on the rail.

Good news is it's sighted in and the darn thing shoots.  Nice little tight 3 round groups at 25 yds.  Even with a poor shooting position it made me happy.

Bad news is constant failures to feed from the magazine into the chamber with some failure to fully eject the empties.

Swapped the heavy duty looking buffer spring back into the tube and nothing changed.  Wasn't working with the heavy duty spring (longer than an AR15 carbine buffer spring and larger wire diameter as well) or the standard carbine spring.  Very draggy/hard to pull the bolt back.  Gave up, picked up, walked over to the pistol range and test fired the new SIG 2022 9MM and then went home.

Got home, cleaned the 7.62X39, lubed it up like I lube all my ARs and put it all back together.  Still really hard to pull the bolt back.  The charging handle would move the bolt back about an inch or so and then seemingly bind up.  Increased effort would get the bolt moving to the rear again and it felt smoother/lighter till it reached the end of travel rearward.  Pulled it back several times, always the same.

Took it back apart trying to see what was hanging up/dragging.  Bolt moved easily in the upper.  Buffer would move easily in the buffer tube.  WTH??  Then it hit me, the hammer.  The darned hammer.  The bolt moves back a little bit and then contacts the hammer and forces it further down/rearward (even when it's already cocked.

I put some oil on the face of the hammer, closed it up, charging handle easily moves the bolt to the rear with no hang up/draggy spot.  Worked it back several times, stayed smooth.

I have never had to oil the face of an AR15 hammer before.  Never had one hang/drag like that on any of the builds.

Now I'm thinking about removing the hammer/bolt and polishing the hammer face and the back/bottom of the carrier where it contacts the hammer as the carrier moves rearward.

Won't know if just lube works or polishing + lube will make it function till I take the next range trip.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Got it back to the range  yesterday.

With the face of the hammer and bottom of the bolt well lubed and running the std. carbine buffer spring with the H2 buffer I could get as many as 6 or 7 shots before it would fail to eject.  Usually had the empty lying on top of the next round in the magazine jamming things up.  Seven or eight in a row is big improvement over the first two sessions, but still not where it needs to be.

I put the big spring back in and couldn't get two in a row without having to pull the charging handle back tilt and shake, or remove the magazine to get the empty out.

Did find out the Tapco mags that run fine in my SIG 556R won't even insert into the mag well of this gun.

Tried two different steel mags just to see if it had any effect and neither affected the failures to eject.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top