Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2018 9:41:37 PM EDT
Stumbled across these today while looking for a way to burn some fun money. The only ones in stock are the nitride barrel version, no CHF currently in stock. I'm impatient. I also know it's no KAC, Noveske, Larue, etc but for the price?......I think I'm willing to gamble. I can always switch out the barrel later if needed. I've always been tempted to buy one of PSA's cheap sbr uppers but I've always been turned off by the weird selection of rails (IMO) they put on them. I really like that mk13 though.....

Anybody have one or handled one? Decent for the money or a waste of time?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-geissele-9-5-mk13-m-lok-freedom-upper-without-bcg-or-ch-516447603.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same upper with the chf barrel. It’s built into a pdw with a permanently attached Spartan 3 silencer from Griffin.  It has a Spikes lower and a Strkie Viper PDW stock, as well as a fostech echo trigger. I’ve only run an It 150 rounds through it (mostly controlled pairs), but my gunsmith that did the weld said it was solid as a rock.  The rail alone is worth the price of admission;I wouldn’t be overly concerned ab It the lack of chf.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What did you pay for the chf version? PSA never lists prices for out of stock items.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did you pay for the chf version? PSA never lists prices for out of stock items.
View Quote
Choose the out of stock item, and add it to "compare."  When you compare the item(s), it lists the price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
looks like $500 for chf, $350 for nitride freedom version. I jumped at the freedom upper. I've been contemplating a 10.5" upper all week after lugging around a 14.5" suppressed gun while night hunting. This should be a good upper for my intended use and it'll alleviate the "what optic do i run on this upper?" question. Red dot and be done with it. Can't wait to slap the can on and play ninja!
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my upper yesterday and got it setup (minus optic). I'm really happy with the fit and finish of the upper. Mated up to my M&P lower no problem (slightly less wobble than the stock M&P upper, actually) and my BCG and CH ride nicely. Gas block is on straight, hand guard is aligned properly, etc...I did not check torque on fasteners. I love the feel of the Giessele rail, I can see why people like their product now. As others have stated, PSA's shipping isn't the fastest, so I got this about 7 days after I placed the order. Perhaps a little more delayed because of SHOT? Who knows, I'm not so impatient that I would ding them as a company for it. For the pricing and the apparent build quality I'm happy.

I'm hoping to get out to the range this weekend to break it in a little and see how it runs. My other upper (14.5" w/carbine gas) has an adjustable gas block and this one does not. I'm assuming it won't be quite as pleasant to shoot but I don't want to jump right into modifying the thing until I see how it runs.

Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Got to the range last weekend and ran maybe 3-5 mags through the upper. Experienced a few hiccups with feeding and chambering in the first mag but I would honestly attribute that to my handloads and/or zero cleaning of the upper before shooting. After just a few rounds it was feeding reliably and working great.

Accuracy is acceptable but I was just shooting irons so I can’t really quantify that component just yet. I could hit steel targets (6” plates) to 150 yds pretty easily from an offhand standing position.

Not overgassed with the suppressor  in my opinion. Perhaps a bit more than with an adjustable block but not near as bad as I expected. Ran well with or without the can.

Not exactly extensive torture testing but so far so good.

Great job PSA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Added a holosun 403B red dot to this package and I'm really digging it. I should have jumped on the 10.5" upper bandwagon long ago!

Accuracy has proven to be more than acceptable for this type of gun and my uses. I've now got a few hundred rounds through it without a single hiccup, minus the couple FTF's in the first 10 rounds or so. Overgassing has proven to be a non issue. Runs suppressed and unsuppressed without issue, standard weight buffer and bcg.

I suppose my only "gripe" would be the lack of mlok near the end of the mk13 rail. I knew this going in and now see why the mk13 was probably put on these budget uppers vs something like the mk4 or mk8. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, to have pic rails at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions but as we all know it doesn't provide the lowest profile mounting solution for lights, lasers, and such. I use this gun with my NV so at some point an illuminator will probably be mounted at 3 o'clock. For now my helmet mounted IR illumination does ok and keeps the gun lighter. I run an OTAL at 12 o'clock behind the front buis and and a tape switch at 10:30.

Really quite impressed with the quality of this upper for the price.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Added a holosun 403B red dot to this package and I'm really digging it. I should have jumped on the 10.5" upper bandwagon long ago!

Accuracy has proven to be more than acceptable for this type of gun and my uses. I've now got a few hundred rounds through it without a single hiccup, minus the couple FTF's in the first 10 rounds or so. Overgassing has proven to be a non issue. Runs suppressed and unsuppressed without issue, standard weight buffer and bcg.

I suppose my only "gripe" would be the lack of mlok near the end of the mk13 rail. I knew this going in and now see why the mk13 was probably put on these budget uppers vs something like the mk4 or mk8. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, to have pic rails at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions but as we all know it doesn't provide the lowest profile mounting solution for lights, lasers, and such. I use this gun with my NV so at some point an illuminator will probably be mounted at 3 o'clock. For now my helmet mounted IR illumination does ok and keeps the gun lighter. I run an OTAL at 12 o'clock behind the front buis and and a tape switch at 10:30.

Really quite impressed with the quality of this upper for the price.
View Quote
Any updated pics?

The mk14 is mlok all the way down the rail.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
https://imgur.com/gallery/nlQkh

seems like I can never get imgur pics to show directly in the post when using the mobile app. I'll try to update from a laptop if I get a chance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://imgur.com/gallery/nlQkh

seems like I can never get imgur pics to show directly in the post when using the mobile app. I'll try to update from a laptop if I get a chance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stumbled across these today while looking for a way to burn some fun money. The only ones in stock are the nitride barrel version, no CHF currently in stock. I'm impatient. I also know it's no KAC, Noveske, Larue, etc but for the price?......I think I'm willing to gamble. I can always switch out the barrel later if needed. I've always been tempted to buy one of PSA's cheap sbr uppers but I've always been turned off by the weird selection of rails (IMO) they put on them. I really like that mk13 though.....

Anybody have one or handled one? Decent for the money or a waste of time?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-geissele-9-5-mk13-m-lok-freedom-upper-without-bcg-or-ch-516447603.html
View Quote
I believe I read that PSA is no longer going to carry the CHF so you may have a long wait.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the nitride version. No regrets, it’s been a good upper that runs well. Got several hundred suppressed  rounds through it now without a cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Wish these uppers are still available
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea this upper has been a pleasant surprise. Glad I took a chance on it. The hand guard alone was almost worth what I paid. It makes a sweet setup for running my NVGs and night time hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top