Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 2:59:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2018 3:05:42 AM EDT by Ebolinux]
Looking to get a bullpup. Already own a KSG and love it. Walked into the local gun shop and they had a PS90 on the shelf. Never handled one before. After holding it I was very much intrigued!

Been looking at Kal-Tec RDB, Tavor x95, and now the PS90.

What do you all think of the PS90? What about compared to the x95 and RDB. Not so much interested in 5.7 vs 225/5.56. More looking for all the other aspects.

- Looking for a fun range gun
- Looking for a home defense weapon
- Looking for a car gun
- Looking for something light weight, compact, etc
- Looking for something my wife will fall in love with and "need to get her own" LOL
- Would rather spend less money then more

Here is a really general run down of kind of the pro's and cons.

--RDB--
P: Great price, at around $1,000
P: Downward ejecting (I'm left handed)
P: Suppress really good I've heard
P: Uses standard 223/5.56 ammo
C: Kind of ugly hand guard, but it can be swapped out

--X95--
P: Looks pretty awesome
P: Maybe I'm just weird, but I like that its an Israeli firearm.
P: Uses standard 223/5.56 ammo
C: Kind of spend at $1,700 ish
C: Gas in face?
C: Brass in face? (I'm left handed)

--PS90--
P: Ok price at $1,400
P: Downward ejecting (I'm left handed)
P: Looks pretty awesome
P: Love the SBR look, even the 16" is not bad. SG-1 baby!!!
P: Very compact, Light weight, comfortable to hold
P: 50rds of ammo at about 1lb is pretty nice. Especially vs 30rd 5.56 at 1lb+
P: Caliber, better then 9mm, still pretty deadly, but not as much over penetration as 223
C: 5.7x28 is adding an additional caliber to my collection
C: Ammo cots more then cheap 223

What say you???????
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2018 3:21:22 AM EDT by loudxpack]
I believe the x95 has an ambi ejection port, though don’t quote me on this.

ETA personally I would get a Tavor (unless you really want to stock another caliber, plus you can use your existing mags) I want one myself and I’ve seen them go for the 1400 range in the EE here

Asthetically I think the x95 is more pleasing, not a fan of how far the barrel sticks out on a ps90, though SBR’d ones are sexy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:20:58 AM EDT
what is EE?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:21:50 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
what is EE?
View Quote
EE = equipment exchange, the buy / sell / trade section of the site here
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:34:49 AM EDT
Non-SBRed PS90s are ghey. Get a left hand X95! Yes, they sell them that way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:44:46 AM EDT
For your stated purposes the PS90 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:55:24 AM EDT
Isn't the answer here, always, yes??
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:15:05 AM EDT
1) Get the PS90
2) Get the aluminum Gen1/2 hammer for the better trigger pull and longer life.
3) SBR that SOB
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:32:09 AM EDT
Just got a ps90 as a fun gun. Ammo is really the Achilles heel of this firearm. It's expensive, and apparently made in runs so you have to jump on it when it's available otherwise availability goes down and price goes up. That's where we are right now and I'm waiting and hoping that when another run comes through I'll be able to stock up at relatively cheap prices. I've also been considering reloading, but it does seem that this is a fairly delicate and time intensive cartridge to reload.

In terms of the actual ballistic effectiveness of the cartridge there is a great deal of debate. There are some that say it's a glorified 22 Magnum, and others say that it is a cartridge in between pistol and rifle power in that it can penetrate some soft body armor. However to get the penetration you need to be using specialty expensive ammunition. The cheap stuff might penetrate level 2 but to get a consistent penetration on level 3A you need the really expensive specialty stuff. And if penetration is what you are looking for overall it is possible to get and reload 9mm that will do the same thing.

Overall it's a really fun gun. I've only run about a hundred rounds through it based on the above mentioned ammo availability issues. I didn't purchase this as a specific used tool but more as a fun gun. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any situation where a PCC would be useful. The compact size, light weight and high magazine capacity are all nice. Eventually I'm going to SBR this because that's the whole reason I got it.

If you're looking for a good bullpup rifle the X95, Aug, or RDB might be a better choice as these are chambered in actual rifle calibers. If you're looking for a lightweight, light recoiling, pistol caliber bullpup then the ps90 would be fine. Just be aware that ammunition is both expensive and rare at times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2018 12:11:01 PM EDT by PursuitSS]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:27:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 4thPointOfContact:
1) Get the PS90
3) SBR that SOB
View Quote
"and longer life." <------ Explain please?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:40:31 PM EDT
I was looking at a PS90 as well had one for $1000 with case, used. Ammo though is what gets me because I like to shoot a lot and they are opening a range 6 miles from my house.
The RDB can be switched to left hand when you first take it apart to clean, lube and inspect it. It shoots very well suppressed with it's adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:19:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:49:12 PM EDT
The ps90 is pretty neat and would make an awesome range toy. If I were considering one, ammo availability and costs would weigh heavily on my descision to buy it.
If you are going to stamp it and turn it into an SBR..definitely get it. (I've never shot one, or even seen one in use)

As for the X-95 the cons you mention are easily remedied and you can get a left handed model straight from the factory. Midwest Industries makes a few parts for them, one of them is a plate that replaces the polymer ejector port cover which seems to leak gasses into peoples face when suppressed. The price: you will spend $$ but if you take into account ammo costs and accesories like magazines you might just end up saving some money.
The X-95 is a solid and kind of chunky feeling, nothing rattles or feels “cheap” about it, mine has been excellent so far.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2018 4:59:51 PM EDT by Ebolinux]
Does it matter what ammo ps90 uses? Federal has some for 35/rd ish when its available. Any problem with using both FN and federal ammo with a ps90?

Yes i would sbr the ps90.

In good arf fashion i should buy them all. Lol which i will probably do eventually. I just dont want to plop down 4k on guns right now .

Cant the x95 be changed back and fourth between left and right at will? Any left handed people shoot the x95 right handed?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:24:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
Does it matter what ammo ps90 uses? Federal has some for 35/rd ish when its available. Any problem with using both FN and federal ammo with a ps90?

Yes i would sbr the ps90.

In good arf fashion i should buy them all. Lol which i will probably do eventually. I just dont want to plop down 4k on guns right now .

Cant the x95 be changed back and fourth between left and right at will? Any left handed people shoot the x95 right handed?
View Quote
You can change it back and fourth but it’s not something you’d do say mid mag. You have to change the bolt out and move the port cover from one side to the other. If you want to change the charging handle you need to pop off the fore end. You will have to send it in to get the opposite side ejection bolt from IWI they won’t sell you one without checking the new bolts headspace from what I understand. I haven’t bothered shooting mine weakside since I’ve just had fun plinking it nothing serious but it has a shell deflector so in a pinch for temporary heat of the moment shoulder changes at worst you should just get a little bop on the face from a ejected casing. Or you could use the AUG cup hand technique if need be.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:15:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:29:10 PM EDT
What is better for a PS90 SBR...

Have some one cut down a stock SP90 Barrel?
or get a CMMG barrel?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:25:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:16:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

I would definitely have Mark McWillis of TROS cut down the factory barrel.
View Quote
Yep, what he said. My original FN barrel was freakishly accurate so I wanted to stick with that, TROS did a killer job. He has now done three thread/adapter jobs (two SMG 22 conversions and the PS90 barrel) for me over the years and all were impeccable. Functioned EXACTLY as it did originally (barrel still is able to rotate as designed w/o resistance), no baffle strikes and the accuracy remained unchanged. He does take forever and communication can be spotty, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:51:36 AM EDT
I say HOLD ONE!

It might "look" cool, but until you've felt how the whole thing feels in your hands, you can never truly guarantee that you will enjoy playing with that toy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:48:17 PM EDT
If they had a factory SBR PS90 I'd consider it. 16" barrel just ruins the look. Well that and the whole issue of finding full pressure ammo loads.

If you ever visit a PS90-only board, the posters just obsess over the types of ammo, finding ammo, gel tests of various ammo, etc. You don't want to be that guy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2018 4:48:12 PM EDT by PursuitSS]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:44:53 PM EDT
- Looking for a fun range gun
- Looking for a home defense weapon
- Looking for a car gun
- Looking for something light weight, compact, etc
- Looking for something my wife will fall in love with and "need to get her own" LOL

PS90 to all of that. I never owned a Kel tec and never will. I have owned an X95 and sold it after it sat for over a year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:27:32 AM EDT
PS90s are definitely fun to shoot, they are pretty quite also. I miss mine.

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:31:10 AM EDT
That's cool looking. :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:34:39 AM EDT
My form 4 is approved. I need to pick mine up soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:56:14 AM EDT
1) Get the PS90
3) SBR that SOB
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
1) Get the PS90
3) SBR that SOB
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:"and longer life." <------ Explain please?
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:That I don’t get!
Better trigger pull, yes. Longer life, I sincerely doubt it as a stock trigger pack is good for north of 80,000 rounds.
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:"and longer life." <------ Explain please?
I was somewhat at a loss for what to say about why one may want to get a Gen1/Gen2 trigger for a PS90 but I'm sure you remember what the First Rule of Fight Club is, right?
There are some things you don't talk about in regard to the PS90 and Gen1/Gen2 hammers. Let's just leave it at that. It won't do anything evil if you don't do anything dumb. If you really want to do something dumb then just file off the tip of the firing pin and 'git some'.
Top Top