Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2023 11:47:26 PM EDT
I'm still getting used to the 107A1 especially the trigger, but if you're looking for something better than M33 ball for paper punching, this 725gr load from PPU did the trick. I'm waiting for warmer weather to see how the Hornady A-MAX fairs. I'll also see what the M1022LR can do if I have enough left.
SG Ammo

50 BMG (12.7x99mm), 725gr SOLID Match, Prvi Partizan (PPU)

50 BMG (12.7x99mm), 725gr Brass Solid, PPU Match by Buffman RANGE, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh. Had no idea. Will get a few boxes to try through my 82a1 and M95.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool I'll check out the video. Is it actually solid brass? That could certainly be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#3]
We turned some solid brass projectiles on the cnc lathe at Barrett once. Made some 750g projectiles, and did 750 grain double boat tail bore riders. The 750's were really accurate out of the 82A1 rifles.

Expensive to make. But were really accurate.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Cool I'll check out the video. Is it actually solid brass? That could certainly be interesting.
View Quote
as far as I can tell they are. I could PMI one at work and see what the alloy material mixture is :D
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
We turned some solid brass projectiles on the cnc lathe at Barrett once. Made some 750g projectiles, and did 750 grain double boat tail bore riders. The 750's were really accurate out of the 82A1 rifles.

Expensive to make. But were really accurate.
View Quote

@50cal
For the life of me I can't remember where I read it (Users Manual maybe?) but I do remember reading to not use, or maybe it is recommended to not use bore rider type bullets in the M82A1 rifle.
@Buffman_LT1
Going to pick up some of this ammo to try out. Looking forward to your AMax review as well.
I have fired 10 rounds of AMax through my M82A1 that I bought when I got the rifle. Unfortunately I fired it trying to get better groups when first getting used to the rifle and being disappointed in what I was getting with M33. Didnt get much better with the AMax.

What I learned too late to save ammo, was its not like smaller caliber rifles. An AR-15, I put on the rest, put the stock on my shoulder with enough pressure to steady things. Cheek weld just enough to be consistent in placement and pressure. Its not going to move much when fired anyway.
Trying that with the Barrett and not only did it move quite a lot when fired it really dispersed the shots. Once I got tired of being rather unceremoniously shoved around for lackluster accuracy, I got behind it solidify and pushed my face down hard behind the scope, trying to minimize movement under recoil to the best of my ability. VOILA!
Actual groups appeared where patterns were before! Damn thing actually shoots pretty damn good, but too late. The Amax ammo was already smoke and noise.
Live and learn.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
as far as I can tell they are. I could PMI one at work and see what the alloy material mixture is :D
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

They look like they are. I learned solid doesn't always mean solid with bullets which was weird to me. The SG description also says FMJ.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
@OhioEd

We fired the bore riders a lot. I don't ever remember seeing that in a manual. May have been added since I left there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Biggus_Dickus] [#8]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
@OhioEd

We fired the bore riders a lot. I don't ever remember seeing that in a manual. May have been added since I left there.
View Quote

@50cal
Found it. It's in the FAQ on Barretts site.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all way out of my wheelhouse but I think that some of the bore riders can cause huge pressure spikes in the wrong setup. I also think I remember some that were made for the 82's or at least proven safe in them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Bore rider chambers are cut for the round, while they can be fired in your rifle, you'll never get the same results if you had a BR chamber. You will probably see a loss in accuracy using them in a standard chamber.

For the average Joe they're unnecessary, a match round that you can load or buy, will do better in a standard chamber.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OhioEd:

@50cal
Found it. It's in the FAQ on Barretts site.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77917/Screenshot_20230217_141416_Samsung_Inter-2714495.JPG
View Quote

Maybe they changed the chamber dimensions some since I left. I remember firing them out of an M107 and an M99
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/banded-solids/

Scroll down to the FAQ section on 50 BMG bore riders.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a few different custom designs spun out for me several years ago and still have a bunch left. Super accurate and was cheaper than amax bullets. I'll have to take a look at these.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top