Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2018 12:04:58 AM EDT
I just ordered a Garand from CMP and would like to get some ammo for it. Unfortunately it seems M2 ball ammo has all but dried up. I know Garands are ammo sensitive.

I've heard that any 150gr ammo should be fine. I was considering ordering some of the PPU 150gr SP ammo.

It isn't something I plan to shoot much due to the cost of ammo, would shooting that ammo be OK on a limited basis or do I need to keep looking ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Prvi, Winchester, and S&B all make new production M2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prvi, Winchester, and S&B all make new production M2.
View Quote
Out of stock everywhere I've found it
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]

I've heard that any 150gr ammo should be fine.
View Quote

Whoever told you that is wrong. There are a lot of commercial loads that create port pressures that are too high for the M1.
Here is some PPU M2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a whopping sixteen rounds of PPU 150gr soft points thru mine a couple days ago.  Used a ported gas plug, though.

Didn't seem to harm it any, but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shot up to 180gr soft point out of my M1, but always use a ported gas plug.  No damage here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ppu, and a couple other manufacturers make 150 gr 30.06 specifically for garands. It is marked as such on the box.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ppu, and a couple other manufacturers make 150 gr 30.06 specifically for garands. It is marked as such on the box.
View Quote
Yes I know, but hard to find in stock and at a decent price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Not cheap, but the real deal. The 1967 shoots good. Looks like this is the last bit of original ammo left for shooting.
https://www.ammogarand.com/ammo.html

I’m glad I ordered all the Korean and Greek surplus when it was plentiful. All the USGI stuff seems to be gone for good now, except API.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its crazy how the 30-06 has dried up all the sudden. I need 1k more rounds when it comes available...
View Quote
Can you spell H-A-N-D-L-O-A-D-I-N-G?

With all of the "It's in stock, it's not." over the last number of years I've been able to ignore all of it. While I got my components in 2006 in bulk so I can handload both 147grn 7.62x51 and 150grn M2 ball for 27¢ per rd, I also keep track from time to time about the current costs of the calibers (to compare to what I would have paid the last time) and just recently I calculated the cost of both calibers along with a number of others using April, 2018 prices.

The results I found for 1K rds (using 1K of 2,500ea purchase of 150grn bullets, 1K Win LR primers, 1K rds worth of a 8lb keg of Win748 powder, and the amortized cost of 5 reloadings of WCC brass I have[cost of the WCC ammo less the current component cost expended when I fired the first time]) was 42¢ per rd. As I've handloaded both calibers (and 14 others) for years and thousands of rds, the costs of the press, etc., have long ago been recaptured.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the ported gas plug from Garand Gear and shoot any SAAMI-spec ammo in your gun.

Here's data to back that up. The M1 is stronger than most realize.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you spell H-A-N-D-L-O-A-D-I-N-G?

With all of the "It's in stock, it's not." over the last number of years I've been able to ignore all of it. While I got my components in 2006 in bulk so I can handload both 147grn 7.62x51 and 150grn M2 ball for 27¢ per rd, I also keep track from time to time about the current costs of the calibers (to compare to what I would have paid the last time) and just recently I calculated the cost of both calibers along with a number of others using April, 2018 prices.

The results I found for 1K rds (using 1K of 2,500ea purchase of 150grn bullets, 1K Win LR primers, 1K rds worth of a 8lb keg of Win748 powder, and the amortized cost of 5 reloadings of WCC brass I have[cost of the WCC ammo less the current component cost expended when I fired the first time]) was 42¢ per rd. As I've handloaded both calibers (and 14 others) for years and thousands of rds, the costs of the press, etc., have long ago been recaptured.
View Quote
For many of us it's a time issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get the ported gas plug from Garand Gear and shoot any SAAMI-spec ammo in your gun.

Here's data to back that up. The M1 is stronger than most realize.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition
View Quote
Actually that link shows that most commercial is safe with the standard USGI gas cylinder screw..no reason to waste money.

additionally the ported/vented/larger screws aren't CMP legal for the games matches etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I shot a whopping sixteen rounds of PPU 150gr soft points thru mine a couple days ago.  Used a ported gas plug, though.

Didn't seem to harm it any, but who knows.
View Quote
I think this the fourth time it's been said.

One source is plagiarism,  Three sources is research.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually that link shows that most commercial is safe with the standard USGI gas cylinder screw..no reason to waste money.

additionally the ported/vented/larger screws aren't CMP legal for the games matches etc.
View Quote
Ah yes, you are right. Thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its crazy how the 30-06 has dried up all the sudden. I need 1k more rounds when it comes available...
View Quote
Go to SG ammo. There's plenty of M2 Garand compatible ammo there.

SG Ammo Garand
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SG Ammo Garand
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SG Ammo Garand
Plenty of garand compatible ammo at Walmart...
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Just an FYI, since at least one online dealer is selling Remington UMC 150gr Ball in enblocs and calling it good for the M1, I contacted Remington directly.

"Remington Support
Service Ticket Response

Good morning sir,

Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question. We do not recommend shooting modern ammunition in an M1 Garand. The pressure will be too high for the rifle. Sadly we cannot tell dealers how to advertize their products, but from our standpoint we do not recommend it.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services"

John

PS.  I think SGammo has the PPU Rifle Line 150gr FMJ, which is the only one that is M2 equivalent, the SP is not, at the same price as above.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Man oh man, ... sounds like some uninformed dudes are going to be splintering their op rods!

Look, it ain't rocket science. When your op rod breaks, your Garand goes tits up     -  which means you're a SOL when the mutant Zed hoards come running down your street.

Don't be that guy.

Use the right ammo, or get a Schuster M1 adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SG Ammo Garand
There's plenty of 30/06 ammo at Walmart but unless it's labeled as Garand compatible then they don't.

Try to learn the reason why.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#24]
In my experience, SP ammo generally runs.

There are occasional failure to feed issues though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's plenty of 30/06 ammo at Walmart but unless it's labeled as Garand compatible then they don't.

Try to learn the reason why.
View Quote
It is, and they do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]
IMHO.....find some HXP M2 (or US Military Surplus M2 if you can find it).  Be careful about paying too much for corrosive primed ammo (some years of US M2 is corrosive).  Then, as far as I know.....HXP is not corrosive primed.

If all else fails.....

Then......
I'd try the new commercial stuff.  .30-06, 150 grain, PPU is normally recommended.  But truthfully, I haven't used it (also true for S&B ammo).

Yup......I got plenty of HXP.

As for the.....
Korean ammo......OK, the KA surplus stuff I'd stay away from.   PS surplus.....I'd try it, though some lot #s of PS is questionable.   So, don't stock up.  Unless you've tried it.  And, again......be careful about corrosive primed lots.   Then, the recent mfn PMC was said to be OK.

Here is my HXP surplus.  Shot through my service grade Greek repatriated H&R M1.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Why not use "other" .30-06 ammo?  Note about: adj gas plugs.

The Garand is designed around a specific pressure curve. Initial pressure at the breech is supposed to be at about 50,000-52,000 psi. That pressure is supposed to have dropped to 12,000-14,000 psi as the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel.

With powders much faster than IMR3031, pressure drops off too rapidly as the bullet travels down the barrel. At 50,000 psi breech pressure, gas port pressure will have dropped below 12,000 psi and operation will be erratic at best. Loading to get sufficient gas pressure for reliable operation will push breech pressures well over the 52,000 psi maximum.

With powders much slower than IMR4064, before breech pressures reach the minimum of 50,000 psi, port pressures will have gone well past the 14,000 psi maximum. This slams the op-rod back with excessive force. Eventually either the op-rod will become bent and out of spec. or repeatedly slamming the bolt into the back of the receiver will crack the heel of the receiver. Loading less powder to get the gas port pressure down below 14,000 psi will mean breech pressures well below the 50,000 psi minimum.

The use of bullets weighing more than 180 grains is also NOT recommended for the standard Garand.

Most reloading manuals are written for bolt action rifles and do not take gas operated semi-autos into account. The last couple of Hornady manuals have had excellent sections on loading for the M1 Garand rifle using only the powders with appropriate burning speeds. Another option is to replace the standard gas cylinder lock screw with an adjustable lock screw. These are made by Schuster and by McCann Industries and are sold by many retailers (Brownell’s, Midway, etc.). These allow the use of a wider range of powders, heavier bullets, and commercial ammo.

dukeofdata (CMP forum)
View Quote
Aloha, Mark

PS....Yes, I reload for my M1 Garand.  Though lately......I've been lazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top