Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2018 12:07:48 AM EDT
I can’t find any info on these rounds. I need lead core ammo for plinking. The American federal eagle xm33 has a steel core which I cannot shoot at the indoor ranges.

I’m sitting on 80rds of Barrett 661gr and can’t use it indoors due to the steel core.

So does anyone know if PMC attracts a magnet? If it’s lead core/non-magnetic then is there any place that ships out fast? I need to find some and get it in a week.

Anyone here want to sell 20 rounds? Heck I would take 10 if that’s all I can find.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The Cabela's here sells PMC .50BMG rounds. Not sure if lead core or not. Will have to take a magnet next time I go just to see.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It's lead core/nonmagnetic like all PMC Bronze ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

Cabelas here doesn’t sell pmc 50 bmg. I can’t seem to find it anywhere here locally in Kansas City or the area suburbs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Uh...

M33 spec has a steel core.

Did you mean "non-lead core" in your referring to LC and Barret ammo?   I would put money on PMC being M33 spec.

/edit

It is steel core M33 spec.
Pretty simple to google

If I were the OP and so hungry for lead core ammo I would look for 750grn Amax and just bite the bullet so to speak.   Aluminum tip will be no worse than lead core.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Well dang. Every ad that shows pmc 50 and their website does not state mild steel core.

So I’m stuck with the 750 hornady amax and that’s it? That’s $75 here locally for 10 rounds. Such is life I guess.

As far as reloading, are there aftermarket rounds that are not steel core? Just cheap lead bullets? I don’t reload anymore as it hasn’t been worth it with 9mm and 223 so darn cheap but I might have to get back into it with 50bmg for some cheap practice rounds that can be used indoors.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Years ago there was a company that made some kind of fragmenting round that was possibly both steel and lead free.

All I see these days is some shitty extreme shock bullet that is like flaked/powdered tungsten.  Expensive as hell and pointless really.

There are some copper/bronze solid bullets out there but they will likely be pretty brutal as well.

Somebody else might come along to help with the options for bullets to use but reloading for the 50 isnt cheap.   Especially now that Talon is gone and pull down components dried up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Unlike the smaller calibers, .50 BMG plain ball is all mild steel core.  If you want lead core you're getting into the more expensive rounds, hunting, match ,etc.  So your criteria, for the .50 cal anyway, is a contradiction.  You can have inexpensive plinking steel core or you can have more expensive lead core.  There really isn't inexpensive lead core ammo for .50 like .223, .30 etc.

For example, surplus plain ball, steel core, is like 40 to 60 cents per .50 projectile, usually $2-$3 per round.  If you want lead core, you're talking $2-$3 per projectile, $4-$6 per round, or more.  Ads for .50 Ball ammo often won't say they're steel core because they're all steel core, it's kind of a given, like it being brass case.

Military surplus is the plinking ammo.  Anything else is more $.  Your examples of Barrett, American Eagle/Federal, PMC, etc are all mild steel core, military bullet.  PMC does have a match load that is not steel core, but it is solid brass and about $70 for 10 rounds.

Not sure why your indoor range says you can't shoot lead, usually they say you HAVE to shoot lead, as opposed to steel core or steel jacket, but each range has its own rules.  Most of the indoor ranges won't let you shoot .50 at all, regardless of bullet, unless they have a .50 rated bullet trap, which is considerably more expensive than standard installations.  If they do have a .50 rated trap, it's usually a specific shooting lane and all .50 shooters have to use the one lane.

There's a very good reason why you don't find lead core bullets in .50 as commonly as you do the smaller calibers, why they chose steel instead of lead for that caliber, but I won't get into all that.  It's a bit of a dissertation.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
@waynelte please edit your original post as it makes no sense whatsoever as written.  I think we all suspect you mean you need non-steel core, but you keep saying lead vs lead when logically you'd mean lead vs steel.

The only non-steel-core ammo I could find locally was the Hornady A-Max. Do you have Sportsman's Warehouse?  It's not cheap, but I only fired the gun indoors to sight in the scope so it's somewhat a don't care.  Kind of impressive indoors...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@waynelte please edit your original post as it makes no sense whatsoever as written.  I think we all suspect you mean you need non-steel core, but you keep saying lead vs lead when logically you'd mean lead vs steel.

The only non-steel-core ammo I could find locally was the Hornady A-Max. Do you have Sportsman's Warehouse?  It's not cheap, but I only fired the gun indoors to sight in the scope so it's somewhat a don't care.  Kind of impressive indoors...
View Quote
thanks.....i don't know why i was typing it that way but i fixed it.

However, I found some Hornady A-Max local. I think im going to buy some online to get it cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
cONTACT rANDY pOWELL AT tHUNDER aMMO.

oOPS

Fixed.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top