User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of these builds are really cool.
I want to start one of these but I'm curious how you guys decided on your pistol setup?

I had a 10/22 sitting in the safe and wanted a SBR so went with this type build after seeing others.

Takedown versus non takedown
Ruger takedown(charger with copper custom) versus PMACA takedown versus AGP takedown
Ruger versus volquartsen versus KIDD parts

I like the idea of a pistol with a 10 " bull barrel that is takedown  That way you get a little longer barrel but it breaks down to an extremely small package.

To me a 10” heavy barrel takedown is kinda pissing in the wind if your wanting a SBR & accuracy. You have a TD so a scope mounted to the receiver will never be supper accurate. The weight of a heavy barrel on a SBR or braces pistol will be out front and may feel weird. And a 4-4.5” barrel will held bulk HV = subsonic for cheap plinking. To me the whole point of having a SBR is to keep it is micro as possible. With that said I do own a 10/22TDsbr with a 10” barrel. It sits in a Magpul back packer stock and looks right with that length. On my F1 I did it as a 8” barrel but could not find one. Another issue is trying to find a Takedown barrel that is cut to your length. Sure you can wack off a factory 10/22TD barrel but it will look strange. 10/22TD threaded bull barrels under 10” are non existent. Whistlepig makes a 10”. That’s what I used in my 10/22TD SBR. A fixed barrel build will have far more options as far as barrels.  

Are Takedowns as accurate? In my experience no, the barrel itself will/ can be super accurate but the receiver to barrel lockup will never be rock solid enough for super precision repeatability. You can run a Magpul forearms takedown mount but then your having to run a Red dot bc is the extended eye relief.
Can you use a volquartsen or kidd reciever and still have it be a takedown configuration? It will have to be a take down receiver. Not sure kidd makes one. It will have a silver collar where the barrel goes into the receiver. Brownells is now offering one.
Can I slap a gemtech mist takedown barrel on any of these configurations?
yes if you buy a take down receiver and takedown chassis.

So many questions

I tried to answer them.
Now get to building!
View Quote
Answers to questions are in red in the above quote.

My suggestion is if your starting with 0 Ruger 10/22s buy a quality aftermarket receiver like the Kidd or possibly Tatical innovations, install Ruger bolt and trigger. Then pick out a stock I’d go with the Pmaca. Then your left with needing a barrel. Plenty of options for factory new barrels. Could also have a cheap bull barrel or factory barrel chopped by EastTxhunter here on the fourms. That’s what I did with one of mine. As money comes in SBR it and possibly replace trigger.

The below video shows both of my 10/22sbrs.

Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to you guys I have all the components for a PMACA pistol takedown inbound, save for optics.  I'm debating between the Vortex Venom reflex and a Sig Romeo5/PA Advanced RDS.  Any thoughts?

Also, did all of you that installed a Nordic Gapper need to modify it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks to you guys I have all the components for a PMACA pistol takedown inbound, save for optics.  I'm debating between the Vortex Venom reflex and a Sig Romeo5/PA Advanced RDS.  Any thoughts?

Also, did all of you that installed a Nordic Gapper need to modify it?
View Quote
Id consider a Vortex Crossfire or the primary arms red dot which can be had for under $100. No need in spending alot of money on a dot site. It being a take down and receiver mounted site its not going to be super accurate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of a related comment, hoping those having experience will know;

The lightweight standard has been out of stock for a while, on the notify list . . . . .

Don't they MFG in-house?  Assume they would have these in stock soon???
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The lightweight standard has been out of stock for a while, on the notify list . . . . .

View Quote
From what I was told they make them in house and sub out the anodizing. You try calling them?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Id consider a Vortex Crossfire or the primary arms red dot which can be had for under $100. No need in spending alot of money on a dot site. It being a take down and receiver mounted site its not going to be super accurate.
View Quote
Thanks.  I just picked up a Romeo5 for 105 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From what I was told they make them in house and sub out the anodizing. You try calling them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, just being patient for now, not an urgent build, just want to put something together for fun.  I might give them a ring.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I just picked up a Romeo5 for 105 shipped.
View Quote
@ar15stin
Got a link?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Well thanks to this thread I spent about $500 this weekend, PMACA multi CF tube kak 2 brace and kak flash can witha  vortex CF RDS inbound.

Side question, how fast does PMACA usually get material out? I ordered Saturday and haven't gotten a confirmation email
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I finally got mine put together. Now to get it to the range. Someday I’ll pair it with my Rugged Oculus that is currently in NFA jail...

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#11]
My Charger with the SBA3 on a Law Tactical folder

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]

I figured I'd give kak a try, regret. Blade is going away asap and SBA3 is going on.

May even add a folder
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/lCOVGKpm.jpg

I figured I'd give kak a try, regret. Blade is going away asap and SBA3 is going on.

May even add a folder
View Quote
Went through the same.

Start with sba3, buy one cry once folks.

Also thinking about the law folder, but another $200ish in to this project and i am at dam near $800ish in to this "little project".
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm working on a take down charger built on the PMACA TD chassis.  It came with a little ring that looks like it fits in the rear where you would attach an end plate but it doesn't show in the literature what it is for or why it is there.  Any one have insight into this little piece?

Also looks like SB tactical is selling a folder for non AR guns that use AR tubes, would be perfect for these builds.  little cheaper than the LAW which is overkill on this gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
It's meant to fit between the castle nut and chassis to index the buffer tube. The teeth on the ring should line up with cuts in the chassis.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Went through the same.

Start with sba3, buy one cry once folks.

Also thinking about the law folder, but another $200ish in to this project and i am at dam near $800ish in to this "little project".
View Quote
I will quote myself cause i am making another change,  I got the sba3 mounted with a different folding solution, but something else caught my eye.

I will post pics in a few days.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I finally settled on a brace.

I tried the sba3, it was nice but still to bulky when folded. I used the sig 1913 folding stock adapter.

Then I ordered a Sig collapsible brace, but it was to narrow to fit. I really wanted this to work.

Finally I ordered the sig skeleton folding brace and I am happy.

But I still need to get the kns 1913 adapter trimmed down and sand the grip to a better finish.

Now on to the trigger and other upgrades.

Between all the braces and everything thing else I am about t $1k in to this “project”.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#18]
How does the web of your hand sit on the grip with the 1913 adapter hanging down like that?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How does the web of your hand sit on the grip with the 1913 adapter hanging down like that?
View Quote
It  is shootable, but not great. I got a lower angle grip to help, and had to trim that a bit.

I have to find a place to trim down the  1913 adapter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Not an SBR but I figured I would share.
2007 charger
PMACA standard chassis
Promag extended mag release
JWH extended charging handle
Gen 1 AFG
UTG scout rail
eBay folding adapter
SB mini brace
5” foam over pistol tube
Cmore red dot.
I wanted a low profile rail to mount the afg so it would be as close to the chassis as possible.
I used the original Ruger optic rail and drilled new/larger holes. This worked perfect.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very nice build, HK_DUDE!

Here's my pistol:

http://i.imgur.com/uUEr2ot.jpg

I like your idea of using the MLOK handstop. It's much cleaner than bolting something to the Pic rail.
Is that configuration comfortable? If so, I may end up stealing your idea 
View Quote
That's a really nice build.

How do you like the Nodak irons with the PMACA chassis? Are the sights at a comfortable height? Curious how the AR style stock's comb height compares to an ordinary 10/22.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a really nice build.

How do you like the Nodak irons with the PMACA chassis? Are the sights at a comfortable height? Curious how the AR style stock's comb height compares to an ordinary 10/22.
View Quote
Thanks!

The irons work but it's not a completely natural position - I've put a red dot on it and use that most of the time and the irons serve as a backup.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top