Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2018 9:34:36 PM EDT
PLEASE HELP! S&W M&P15-22 Stripped Grip Screw!
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Anyone else??
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Magpul Grip Screw?

Stupid things are the devil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Helicoil
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Could you provide maybe any amount of detail? What is stripped? The male threads? Female threads? Head of bolt? Is bolt installed and needs to be removed? Is bolt removed and you need to install it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
The 22lr m&ps have a plastic reciever,
the grip screw is prone to crossthreading and wallowing out the threads if the owner decides to get curious
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Note to self: Don't fuck with the M&P15-22 factory grip

Thanks for the heads-up
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I removed the grip when I received the rifle, to install a drop in trigger. Put every thing back together. Then I went to range to shoot it. Also to test out my new Awesome Trigger, Rise Armament, if anyone cares to know. Well then all went great. Then, after about 100 rounds. I noticed the grip was loose, and was about 1/8" of an inch away from the bottom receiver. Seeing the grip spring loose, the spring that holds the safety detent spring!! So I went back home to tighten screw, thinking.. well maybe I just did not tighten it enough. That's when I found that the grip screw kept spinning, upon trying to retighten grip screw. So then I removed the screw, and found little plastic pieces coming out, more like whiskers from a one day shave. But hardly nothing to be alarmed about.

So then I thought, by how tight the grip screw was when first starting to screw it into the hole. The answer would be to add washers to the OEM grip screw. Making the grip screw shorter, and that would fix my problem. That did not work. So here I am today. What an Awesome Rifle, besides this problem. This could be fixed from the factory in the future, using a molded in steel block inside the lower plastic receivers where the grip screw would go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
HELICOIL® Plus Screwlock – Coil thread inserts for metals with screw-locking effect
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks doc. Problem fixed. Also a BIG... Thanks to every one for your replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top