Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2020 11:05:50 PM EDT
What are the comparative advantages/disadvantages between two III+ plates, one PE-only and the other a PE/ceramic composite?

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What are the comparative advantages/disadvantages between two III+ plates, one PE-only and the other a PE/ceramic composite?

Tomac
View Quote
PE will stop M193 at insane speeds, but will fail to M855A, M855A1, or other threats with hardened cores. Ceramic breaks up those threats and stops them, in addition to having the PE backer to stop the really fast stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Ceramic/PE hybrid tends to be a much better all-around balance of weight vs stopping realistic rifle rounds at realistic velocities.

The whole idea of ceramic armor is that by cracking on impact, it also induces cracking in the impacting projectile. Then the PE slows down and catches whatever degraded objects get through the ceramic front layer.

Pure PE plates will tend to be a lot lighter, but the ceramic/PE hybrid plates still aren't that heavy. Get ceramic/PE.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the combo plates offer a slight improvement in thinness/bulk over pure PE plates, which is one of their main drawbacks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The PE-only III+ plate is slightly heavier than the III+ PE/ceramic and is supposedly rated to stop M855, still good against M855?

Tomac

ETA: While not on their website, this search engine info was shown w/the link to the III+ PE, apparently there *is* ceramic in the 'PE-only" III+ plates: "Made w/Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Fabrics & CERAMIC Tested to NIJ Level III+ / NIJ-0101.06 Multi-Hit Capability will defeat M855 5.56mm 62gr, 7.62x39 12gr Ball Fully Sealed - Corrosion Protection, Structural enhancement, Waterproof..."
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there a PE only plate rated for III+? I thought they were all ceramic.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are some people who try and pass off the additional threat of M193 as a "III+" with M855 being a "III++". I think this is BS marketing and anyone who isn't a sham will go with the industry de-facto standard of calling M855/penetrator capable plates as III+

But to answer your question, no full PE plate will be able to stop penetrators and will need a hybrid ceramic/PE design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a PE only plate rated for III+? I thought they were all ceramic.

There are some people who try and pass off the additional threat of M193 as a "III+" with M855 being a "III++". I think this is BS marketing and anyone who isn't a sham will go with the industry de-facto standard of calling M855/penetrator capable plates as III+

But to answer your question, no full PE plate will be able to stop penetrators and will need a hybrid ceramic/PE design.

OK, that's what I thought. When the new .07 standards are in use eveywhere it should make this more clear. Those PE plates aren't gonna meet RF2.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
For plates, the rule is ABC:

Always Buy Ceramic

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I contacted BS's/Botach's supplier of the armor. The single curve III plate is SIC and 10mm of PE, and tile array. The multicurve III+ is SIC solid strike face with 12mm of PE
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m assuming you are referring to shot stops duritium plates that say they stop “62gr ball”?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I think pure PE plates are also buoyant, which if it’s a consideration could be pretty important.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I contacted BS's/Botach's supplier of the armor. The single curve III plate is SIC and 10mm of PE, and tile array. The multicurve III+ is SIC solid strike face with 12mm of PE
View Quote

@Buffman_LT1

Thx! Do you consider the difference between tile array ceramic and solid ceramic significant?

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Buffman_LT1

Thx! Do you consider the difference between tile array ceramic and solid ceramic significant?

Tomac
View Quote
Tile plates have shown to handle threats just fine. SIC from my testing degrades a LOT faster than Alumina, so if you can use tiles to keep cracking from propagating, I don't see them as a negative. the extra 2mm of backer is a + though
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tile plates have shown to handle threats just fine. SIC from my testing degrades a LOT faster than Alumina, so if you can use tiles to keep cracking from propagating, I don't see them as a negative. the extra 2mm of backer is a + though
View Quote

@Buffman_LT1

Let me rephrase: A 4lb 9oz tile ceramic/PE single-curve III+ plate w/10mm PE backing vs a 5lb solid face ceramic/PE multicurve III+ plate w/12mm PE backing.
Any significant reason to choose one over the other? Thx again!

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Buffman_LT1

Let me rephrase: A 4lb 9oz tile ceramic/PE single-curve III+ plate w/10mm PE backing vs a 5lb solid face ceramic/PE multicurve III+ plate w/12mm PE backing.

Tomac
View Quote
I'd sweat the extra 8-9oz for 12mm of backing :D
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Buffman_LT1

Tomac

Thx, I went w/the III+ multicurve.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
If they were both multicurve id go for the lighter one.  The multi curve ones might feel lighter anyways
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If they were both multicurve id go for the lighter one.  The multi curve ones might feel lighter anyways
View Quote

Unfortunately the lighter is single-curve and the multicurve is definitely more comfortable, both front & back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Multi curve.

You can train for a few ounces of weight, but that single curve is always going to ride awkward and dig in to your back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top