Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2019 4:29:15 PM EDT
I know these are two different classifications of weapons and is like comparing apples to oranges but let’s discuss anyways.

Obviously, the PDW is going to be smaller and lighter and thus easier to conceal. In a tactical environment this is a big deal but if I’m just going to the range and back and have no plans to carry, why would you buy say a TP9 over a SMG like a MP5 or APC9? IMO, the SMG would be better range toy because the extra size and weight would make a pistol cartridge super easier to control and shoot. But on the other hand, the PDW definitely gets more cool points and still does everything a SMG does but in a smaller package. If you could only have one, what would it be?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
When I think of PDW I tend to think more of small guns chambered in small caliber high velocity cartridges like 5.7 or 4.6, or even 5.56. For example I don't really consider the TP9 a PDW, machine pistol is more appropriate IMO. There's really no hard rule but that's just always been my personal differentiation between a "PDW" and a SMG.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I think of PDW I tend to think more of small guns chambered in small caliber high velocity cartridges like 5.7 or 4.6, or even 5.56. For example I don't really consider the TP9 a PDW, machine pistol is more appropriate IMO. There's really no hard rule but that's just always been my personal differentiation between a "PDW" and a SMG.
View Quote
The NATO PDW requirement published in 89 required greater armor penetration than was capable with traditional pistol calibers.

So in 9mm the TP9 is just a machine pistol.  In 6.5 CBJ it would be a true PDW.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
When I hear PDW I think "something small and high capacity that was designed to fire high velocity bullets capable of penetrating body armor and helmets" that would be issued to rear echelon / non front line troops for their "personal defense".

When I hear SMG I think "pistol caliber machine gun" dating from an era where virtually no one had body armor and when battle rifles were 40" long and had 20" barrels and there was a need for compact high volume "in close" fighting weapons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
The NATO PDW requirement published in 89 required greater armor penetration than was capable with traditional pistol calibers.

So in 9mm the TP9 is just a machine pistol.  In 6.5 CBJ it would be a true PDW.
View Quote
That’s fair. I didn’t think about it from a caliber standpoint. But for discussions sake, calibers are all the same and looking at it from civilian’s POV as a range toy. As I stated in the OP I’m not going to be carrying this in a combat zone so I’m not too concerned about NATO requirements. So maybe the question I should’ve asked is which weapon system would a civilian enjoy shooting more? A small compact weapon like a tp9 or bigger heavier weapon like a mp5 or apc9?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming neither is full auto, just get whichever scratches the itch.  If you can afford full auto, the bigger guns will be easier to control.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That’s fair. I didn’t think about it from a caliber standpoint. But for discussions sake, calibers are all the same and looking at it from civilian’s POV as a range toy. As I stated in the OP I’m not going to be carrying this in a combat zone so I’m not too concerned about NATO requirements. So maybe the question I should’ve asked is which weapon system would a civilian enjoy shooting more? A small compact weapon like a tp9 or bigger heavier weapon like a mp5 or apc9?
View Quote
I don't mean to be pedantic, but when you're comparing two different classes of guns, those caliber differences are important. The difference between an assault rifle and a battle rifle are significant and define their uses and applications, same as a SMG and PDW.

In their proper classes, the SMG is much better for civilian range fun due to the ease of access and cost of ammo vs the more specialized rounds like 5.7, 4.5, etc.

If you're comparing standard size SMG's (mp5, uzi) to small SMG's (mini uzi, mp5k) to machine pistols (micro uzi, tp9, g18), then yeah the full size is generally going to be the go-to due to its ease of use. But if you do want something ultra small, say a backpack gun, then the other classes really come into their own.

TP9 is a dream gun of mine personally, especially with the suppressor and matching shoot-through laptop bag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I carried an automatic mini uzi for awhile in a backpack.  I have a different bag now, so I'm toting the MP5 in full auto now.  It's a better gun, more accurate, and iconic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was the NATO definition during the PDW solicitation back ~ 1990, which gave rise to the P90 and MP7.

However, now the definition of PDW has evolved due to 3 factors:

-The availability of 9x19 AP ammo with equal or better AP performance then 4.6 and 5.7
-The availability of ultra compact short barreled rifles
-The proliferation of ceramic body armor that makes PDW's and SBR AP loadings irrelevant

--> Now the definition of PDW is essentially "shoulder fired weapon smaller and lighter then the smallest SBR." Generally that means a gun small enough to fit in a messenger bag - around 16" or less.

SMG's/SBR's
-FN P90
-AK74 Krinkov
-G36K
-CZ Scorpion
-B&T APC9

PDW's
-HK MP7
-Sig Rattler
-B&T MP9
-B&T USW
-MP5K
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:But on the other hand, the PDW definitely gets more cool points and still does everything a SMG does but in a smaller package.
View Quote
Certainly can’t use size as a comparison when “smaller” PDWs are actually larger than “larger” SMGs...
https://www.instagram.com/p/Berz5LIlmgD/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
the way i see it, SMGs can be considered PDWs but not all PDWs are SMGs (5.56,.300)
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the way i see it, SMGs can be considered PDWs but not all PDWs are SMGs (5.56,.300)
View Quote
How I view it. Anyway, how about some pictures from the collection...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top