Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2018 5:33:04 AM EDT
For a PCC with a 5.5 inch 9mm barrel (blow back operation) and a Suppressor,
will there be extra gas expelled from the chamber as with a DI 5.56 AR-15?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 4.5" AR9 and I am a lefty.
None of my cans give me gas eye.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an AR9 with an 8.5 inch barrel that I shoot with either an octane9 or an omega9k. If I shoot a few rounds fast I will get a little bit of gas, but nowhere near as bad as my suppressed AR15s. Shooting a shot every few seconds or even a few double taps gives me no gas in my face.

If I suppress my CZ scorpion there is zero gas whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
OK - no or little gas - thank fells.

So if no/little gas then the same BCG and buffer combined weight works for both Unsuppressed and suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m a lefty, and I get a face full of unburnt powder out of my suppressed 4” SBR AR-9.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI, 99% of the blowback junk on a DI AR is coming from the chamber, not the gas tube.

The volume of the can is going to play a huge role.

My only personal experience is with a 5.5" TROS 3-lug barrel on a 9mm AR with an SWR Trident 9.  This is a medium-sized subgun can and with higher quality ammo the gas wasn't bad.  If you rapid fire the gun with WWB ammo, you were getting a face full of garbage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For a PCC with a 5.5 inch 9mm barrel (blow back operation) and a Suppressor,
will there be extra gas expelled from the chamber as with a DI 5.56 AR-15?
View Quote
Short answer is yes.

Long answer is it can be minimized with ammo choice and by using a heavier bolt or recoil spring or both.

Duration of gas seal vs production of gas is what causes blowback. Has nothing to do with DI or the type of operation system itself, has everything to do with timing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, 99% of the blowback junk on a DI AR is coming from the chamber, not the gas tube.

The volume of the can is going to play a huge role.

My only personal experience is with a 5.5" TROS 3-lug barrel on a 9mm AR with an SWR Trident 9.  This is a medium-sized subgun can and with higher quality ammo the gas wasn't bad.  If you rapid fire the gun with WWB ammo, you were getting a face full of garbage.
View Quote
This too. Small cans cause more blowback because they increase backpressure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top