Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2022 8:07:40 PM EDT
I'm ready to get into the NV world and I've got an existing PASGT helmet that I'd like to start as opposed to just a basic bump helmet.  I've already upgraded the pads to an Oregon Aero set and it fits me well and feel comfortable.

I know the Norotos Rhino mount is readily available and designed for this helmet using a J-arm to attach a PVS14 but is it possible to use this mount with a dual tube or bino setup?

Would I be better off buying a 3 hole shroud and drilling some holes to use a different mounting option?

Are there any recommended side rails that will fit and work with the common accessories; I think I remember reading that some are proprietary fitment?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The mount needs to be compatible with the arm you use: either bayonet or dovetail. I’d suggest going with a dovetail setup especially if you’re planning on using BNVDs. I believe all BNVDs use dovetail mounts; PVS-14 you can get j-arms with the bayonet interface but again, it’s better to just start with the dovetail system.

With the PASGT, you probably only have a one hole mounting system and to use any of the larger 3-hole mounts you’d need to measure and drill the mounting holes. I know there are updated single-hole shrouds/plates and if I was dealing with that, I’d stay with them. I imagine it’s pretty difficult ensuring the 3 holes are drilled with no cant, in the right positions. I have my old ACH from when I was in and it has the old single-hole mount on it. I had no problem locking in the Norotos LoSto or Wilcox G24.

Anecdotally, I grew up wearing the PASGT and while I never had anything except the old suspension system and leather sweat band, the ACH was a gift from God in comparison. I would suggest looking for a decent ballistic helmet that’s either ACH style or higher cut that comes with a 3-hole shroud installed. It will be much more comfortable, have better aftermarket parts, and most likely provide slightly more protection.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
the Rhino 1 is bayonet only ( shitty ) the Rhino 2 can be converted to dovetail style and would work fine with bino's if you are trying to save some cash.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand the suggestion to just buy a new helmet but I'm not at the point of wanting to spend $1000 on a new one just yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand the suggestion to just buy a new helmet but I'm not at the point of wanting to spend $1000 on a new one just yet.
View Quote

There are sub $1k ballistic helmets. A new ACH should be nowhere near that, a used one probably can be had in the $300 range. There’s also this at $450 with a modern shroud and rails. Big discussion on it here.

Also, someone else with more knowledge can chime in, but I do not believe any of the main stream rails will fit on a PASGT helmet. The rails use the mounting screws for the chinstrap and those are not there on a PASGT. I know you mentioned BNVD usage, but I’d budget some money from that into a more modern helmet. It will solve all the questions you have helmet-wise.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are sub $1k ballistic helmets. A new ACH should be nowhere near that, a used one probably can be had in the $300 range. There’s also this at $450 with a modern shroud and rails. Big discussion on it here.

Also, someone else with more knowledge can chime in, but I do not believe any of the main stream rails will fit on a PASGT helmet. The rails use the mounting screws for the chinstrap and those are not there on a PASGT. I know you mentioned BNVD usage, but I’d budget some money from that into a more modern helmet. It will solve all the questions you have helmet-wise.
View Quote

That Danmark helmet certainly piques my interest, seems like a good value.  Now I'd need to come up with a way to explain to my wife why I now need a different helmet than the one she bought me (unsolicited) less than a year ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That Danmark helmet certainly piques my interest, seems like a good value.  Now I'd need to come up with a way to explain to my wife why I now need a different helmet than the one she bought me (unsolicited) less than a year ago.
View Quote

I don’t envy that. Perhaps explain that with the PASGT, while a nice gift, will cost more money and do less than if you front a little bit more and buy something purpose built?

Or just buy her something nice first.

Also, there’s at least one OpsCore for sale in the NV EE forum for around $750. I would think you can find something worthwhile for under $800. But, like I said, an ACH will do what you need (will fit rails, updated chinstrap/pads, will fit earpro) for cheap. It looks like even brand new it’s under $500, used surplus was around $250.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
That Denmark helmet looks like it is under $400 now with the website discount code and free shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top