Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Because it came up on the hide, yes the COTI works through an NV clip-on. No, it's not a good application, mostly due to the magnification you're getting on the low-res image (full NV image of the PVS-30 is maybe half or less the field of view of the COTI). Yes, the thermal image stays collimated though. Would be interesting through the lower-power clip-ons I bet...

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because it came up on the hide, yes the COTI works through an NV clip-on. No, it's not a good application, mostly due to the magnification you're getting on the low-res image (full NV image of the PVS-30 is maybe half or less the field of view of the COTI). Yes, the thermal image stays collimated though. Would be interesting through the lower-power clip-ons I bet...

https://i.imgur.com/rfsadnE.gif

https://i.imgur.com/t5NCP9hh.jpg
View Quote

I’m duct taping this b on my 27.

Very cool. I’m sure you are correct and it will have its limitations for sure, but will be fun to play around with.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After mucking up the chinaskeet thread, I'll ask here - if anyone has a lead on external battery packs for the COTI, I would love an IM.

( @chase45 - the folks you gave me are sold out )
View Quote

I'd stalk ebay. I think some dudes got their packs off there
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
After playing with this a bit more, I'm convinced its badass but at the same time it does have some limitations. I went for a walk around my apartment complex, and it looks like it struggles in a dynamic lighting environment...if you are transitioning from high light to low light/no light areas quickly and frequently, it takes a lot of fiddle fucking to keep the COTI working. Its easy to go from "no display at all" to "overbright indicator".

If you are in a static lighting environment....ie...Just looking out at a dark field or just looking at a lit parking lot it does well enough but its a bit finicky if you are moving between those two types.

Still very cool and no regrets, but I am starting to understand it a bit better. I also prefer outline, although it seems some guys prefer patrol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After playing with this a bit more, I'm convinced its badass but at the same time it does have some limitations. I went for a walk around my apartment complex, and it looks like it struggles in a dynamic lighting environment...if you are transitioning from high light to low light/no light areas quickly and frequently, it takes a lot of fiddle fucking to keep the COTI working. Its easy to go from "no display at all" to "overbright indicator".

If you are in a static lighting environment....ie...Just looking out at a dark field or just looking at a lit parking lot it does well enough but its a bit finicky if you are moving between those two types.

Still very cool and no regrets, but I am starting to understand it a bit better. I also prefer outline, although it seems some guys prefer patrol.
View Quote

Did you try adjusting the environmental mode?

I havent used mine in too much high light but with property lights and such mine seems to auto dial up the brightness to mostly useable levels.

I do find you have to adjust it here and there with the brightness toggle. But alot of the cases I seem to have mine set at 50-60% or so and it work pretty well.

Unfortunately I didnt see as much last night as the previous night. It still popped out some squirrels, possums and a deer in a field.

I still prefer outline as well. It just seems to work really well with providing feedback on living things while remaining mostly uncluttered
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you try adjusting the environmental mode?

I havent used mine in too much high light but with property lights and such mine seems to auto dial up the brightness to mostly useable levels.

I do find you have to adjust it here and there with the brightness toggle. But alot of the cases I seem to have mine set at 50-60% or so and it work pretty well.

Unfortunately I didnt see as much last night as the previous night. It still popped out some squirrels, possums and a deer in a field.

I still prefer outline as well. It just seems to work really well with providing feedback on living things while remaining mostly uncluttered
View Quote
I didnt, I'll have to play with environments tonight. Ran out of time last night. Sadly the "9-5" cuts in to the "night time fun time"
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didnt, I'll have to play with environments tonight. Ran out of time last night. Sadly the "9-5" cuts in to the "night time fun time"
View Quote

Lol yeah Im kinda tired today after the last two nights
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes they will work. Thank you.
View Quote

Well it was a pain in the ass to get it through due to numerous logistical issues, but I finally got the order in with EuroOptic. Any chance you might have photos of this fit onto dual 14's in the NPBM? I'm having a hard time picturing how it will all go together with the alignment rings on the NPBM.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well it was a pain in the ass to get it through due to numerous logistical issues, but I finally got the order in with EuroOptic. Any chance you might have photos of this fit onto dual 14's in the NPBM? I'm having a hard time picturing how it will all go together with the alignment rings on the NPBM.
View Quote

Looking at pic of NPBM, doesn't look like you can install the COTI mount as designed.  Will likely have to go onto the objective but less than ideal because the entire coti rotates as you adjust the focus.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Tnvc said they'd play together. Hopefully he can post up some photos of the best way to mount it up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Could someone post a link to the ring adapter for a MUM?  One I received today from JRH will work for my BNVDs, but I’d like to have another mount for my MUM.  TY
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Could someone post a link to the ring adapter for a MUM?  One I received today from JRH will work for my BNVDs, but I'd like to have another mount for my MUM.  TY
View Quote
i got mine from Robert at JRH. If you reach out to him he might not have the info front and center in his head but he'll definitely be able to track it down for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The clamp just needs to be turned around and adjusted to go around the objective ring rather than the infinity focus ring.

The mounting clamp is designed to be reversible and can be used in either orientation, though the "preferred" method is the infinity focus so that the COTI does not rotate if you need to refocus the device, however, however the clamp is designed to be able to mount in either direction to fit different accessory and goggle configurations.

This is the PBM-A, but the NPBM would work the same way:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/AF192838-0B97-462D-BAF7-80BA6490AA7D-1095740.jpg

~Augee
View Quote

Copy, so it will hang off the ocular lens then. Will this be detrimental to the ocular lens in any way? Have you noticed the weight of the COTI causing your ocular to randomly come out of focus? Part of my "justification" for buying (outside of work related 2 legged critters) is I've started trail running at night. I've got BIG predators in my area. I'm hoping to get a little extra detection of their presence. Will the extra motion of running with it mounted to the ocular pose a problem? Thanks for the photo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Gracias, just replying to his email now.
View Quote
Oh, and just to confirm Robert whatever you ordered was dead bang perfect for the MUM. The front lens on the MUM is different than on a PVS14, and the MUM adapter is (In my own words) "Required" for proper use.

@Lowdown3
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quick notes here for anyone running these on a MUM. You *must* have the adapter for proper fit and function. Pics below should clearly show differences and reasons.

These are the MUM and PVS14 adapters. MUM on left, 14 on right. The 14 wouldnt stand up on its own so I had to lean it against something. Note on the top of the ring the little latches on the MUM. This locks it to the MUM so the COTI doesnt fall off (You cant use a compression grip, as the MUM has a tapered front end)

This is top down. 14 on bottom, MUM on top. Note the MUM adapter has a larger opening to properly fit on the MUM housing. The 14 adapter doesnt properly fit (It could probably be used but would mount to the focusing ring on the MUM)

This shows the front of the MUM housing and how the adapter would slide over the focusing ring and latch to the ring behind the focusing ring

And here it is properly mounted to the MUM housing

On final note, the sleeve for the COTI is tight. I mean so tight I couldnt get the COTI to lock in to the sleeve. I had to break out my hobby files and do some work on the MUM adapter to get the COTI to properly seat. Thats absolutely not the fault of the seller (Whoever you go with), but something to be aware of. I dont know if it was a simply a case of tolerances biting me in the ass (My mum adapter was on the small side of allowance, the COTI was on the high side) or whether all of these are just a bit too snug. Either way, be aware you *might* need to do some work to get the COTI to lock in to the locking lever on the MUM adapter ring.

@bkr
@Lowdown3
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh, and just to confirm Robert whatever you ordered was dead bang perfect for the MUM. The front lens on the MUM is different than on a PVS14, and the MUM adapter is (In my own words) "Required" for proper use.

@Lowdown3
View Quote

Just called in the order.  Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone running a COTI on a set of NVD-BNVDs able to share a picture of the mounting or advice? I've currently got mine mounted just to the rear of the objective focus ring, on the device body, with the larger portion of the mount pointing forward, and with the rubber ring in use. Is this correct or is there a best way to mount this combo?

Somewhat secondarily, do you all feel the COTI "periscope" should be positioned (relatively) closer or further from the objective lens for best use? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The "front" lens is the objective lens, while the ocular is the "rear" lens, towards the eye, however, otherwise--yes, the clamp will attach to the objective lens assembly.

No issues whatsoever with shifting due to weight on a properly built device which usually requires at least some force to rotate though I suppose if your objective lens assembly was extremely loose it could be possible.

The real danger/risk is if the device gets bumped by something, however it is arguably superior to use it objective mounted in that case versus having the clamp attached to the lock ring, as you can much more easily reset the objective focus.

Depending on how tight your mounting clamp is, the clamp could potentially rotate around the lock ring, meaning it will be out of position, or if it is very tightly/securely clamped to the lock ring, you could cause the whole infinity focus lock ring to move and strip out the tiny set screws that are supposed to keep it in place, which is not necessarily catastrophic for the goggle, however it will cause the infinity focus stop not to work properly and could, if it gets too far out of place, interfere with your ability to get proper focus on your goggle, or even potentially damage the tube.

~Augee
View Quote

My bad. I commonly get my O's confused, but that's what I meant. Thanks for the info. It showed up today so I'm hoping to get out and try it here in a bit.

One other question: is there any alternative optic that could work as the standalone adapter. I don't really have any intention of ever using it in that role, BUT..... it could be handy to have, not $700 handy though. I went to town and picked it up earlier. I had a cheap monocular in the door pocket of my truck. I got curious and fit the mount to the monocular. It actually fit perfect. I slid the coti on and fired it up in hopes it would work through the monocular. Unfortunately no go. Is there any other cheap alternative?

Sorry, one more question: do you guys have additional pvs14 mounts? I'd like to pick up a few more for varioius 14's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone running a COTI on a set of NVD-BNVDs able to share a picture of the mounting or advice? I've currently got mine mounted just to the rear of the objective focus ring, on the device body, with the larger portion of the mount pointing forward, and with the rubber ring in use. Is this correct or is there a best way to mount this combo?

Somewhat secondarily, do you all feel the COTI "periscope" should be positioned (relatively) closer or further from the objective lens for best use? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I didnt use the rubber ring

This is how I prefer it. On the left side

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
My wallet can't take much more! Mine should get to me soon, eurooptics got another order.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I didnt use the rubber ring

This is how I prefer it. On the left side
View Quote

Thanks chase45, appreciated. From those pics it looks like the mount is behind the objective focus ring entirely, is that right?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks chase45, appreciated. From those pics it looks like the mount is behind the objective focus ring entirely, is that right?
View Quote

I have it directly placed on what I would call the metal lock ring right behind the objective. I can adjust focus with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wallet can't take much more! Mine should get to me soon, eurooptics got another order.
View Quote

And delivered, that was fast!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have it directly placed on what I would call the metal lock ring right behind the objective. I can adjust focus with no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is how i have mine as well
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

On final note, the sleeve for the COTI is tight. I mean so tight I couldnt get the COTI to lock in to the sleeve. I had to break out my hobby files and do some work on the MUM adapter to get the COTI to properly seat. Thats absolutely not the fault of the seller (Whoever you go with), but something to be aware of. I dont know if it was a simply a case of tolerances biting me in the ass (My mum adapter was on the small side of allowance, the COTI was on the high side) or whether all of these are just a bit too snug. Either way, be aware you *might* need to do some work to get the COTI to lock in to the locking lever on the MUM adapter ring.

https://i.imgur.com/jDiJCui.jpg?1

@bkr
@Lowdown3
View Quote

Same tolerances on mine.  I had to release the hinge and pull the whole mount off in fear of breaking something plastic on the MUM.  Going to do some light sanding to the MUM mount, since my COTI fits just fine with the PVS-14 mount.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s where I have mine mounted on a set of RNVGs. I don’t use the metal lock ring anyway so the COTIs mounting ring being on it isn’t an issue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:12:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't suppose anyone has some genius way to mount a COTI and Tarsier on the same tube?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't suppose anyone has some genius way to mount a COTI and Tarsier on the same tube?
View Quote

I tried lol there is no room.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]
So I picked up a COTI during the amazing JRE sale. I’m really enjoying it. Took it for a spin at JRTC and had fun spotting folks where normal NODS would not have allowed me to. I wasn’t a fan of the battery life. I picked up this cable and was wondering what battery I should buy that would be compatible. I might move to binos in the future, but for now I just have a PVS-14. Any suggestion on battery and purchase source would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone have any issues with theirs yet?

Ive had a error 3 code display up top a few times. The times it displayed the error it was almost hard to start. Happened twice so far.

Changed batteries. Notta. Tried the turning it on and off a few times. Notta.

Installed it back on the mount and took it off and it finally turned on and displayed the code. No issues afterwards.

Its almost like the auto off magnet is getting stuck in the off position if that makes sense. I feel its about the only thing that makes sense as installing it and taking it off the mount generally seems to get it going again
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone have any issues with theirs yet?

Ive had a error 3 code display up top a few times. The times it displayed the error it was almost hard to start. Happened twice so far.

Changed batteries. Notta. Tried the turning it on and off a few times. Notta.

Installed it back on the mount and took it off and it finally turned on and displayed the code. No issues afterwards.

Its almost like the auto off magnet is getting stuck in the off position if that makes sense. I feel its about the only thing that makes sense as installing it and taking it off the mount generally seems to get it going again
View Quote

No issues so far
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No issues so far
View Quote

Ill just keep an eye on it. It happened last week and then last night so not exactly something to get all worried about just yet

Worked fine once it was on. Just took awhile

Wish the error codes were in the manual
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Did anyone ever find a screw in sacrificial lens you could run with the coti installed?
Are you guys dummy cording the coti to anything? If so how?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did anyone ever find a screw in sacrificial lens you could run with the coti installed?
View Quote

Theres a little loop you could add something to if you really wanted

I feel the mount is pretty sturdy and doesnt warrant a cord so long as your nods are tied off
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I put a split ring on the coti and hook one of the leads from my Costa SRS to it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
PM sent.
View Quote

I appreciate you looking into this for me.

Just to run it down for others I reached out to Lowdown asking about the error code in case he has experienced it before. He took it a step further and contacted Safran for me

So far I dont have any addition issues. It pops up the error code intermittently on random power ups but a calibration or a on/off cycle usually takes it away.

Ive even let the code ride to see if I noticed anything weird or functional issues. Notta

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I feel the mount is pretty sturdy and doesnt warrant a cord so long as your nods are tied off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn, I want one of these.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get one
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its really an amazing device

I love mine. I see so many creatures in the woods that I would have totally missed.

Super big fan and I hope more clip on thermals like this come to market
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Its really an amazing device

I love mine. I see so many creatures in the woods that I would have totally missed.

Super big fan and I hope more clip on thermals like this come to market
View Quote

That'd be awesome.

Anyone know why the PAS29 has no competition?
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top