Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2022 9:40:12 PM EDT
I am  just applying for my Maryland W$C permit. Right now i have 2 pistols i can carry when i get the permit. 1) a ruger lcp.  2)  is one of the 3 p64 pistols i have
I have a nice iwb kydex holster and spare mag holder for the p64
The p64 was the pistol i used to take my class with. That pistol was older then 1/2 of the students.  My pistol ran perfectly trough the live fire and my score was one of the highest in class with a 24 out of 25 total points with  No one got a 25/ 25. A lot of the fancy new expensive pistols people where using had issues.

Does anyone concealed carry a p64?

I know this is kind of frowned upon here but has anyone refinished modified or changed the grips on their p64?
I am thinking about putting in new wolf springs in my magazine and a heaver recoil spring to maybe lessen recoil a little.  What is your thought on this?

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I would definitely go with a the heavier mainspring. The P-64 is one of just a very few guns that I hated to shoot because of how sharp the recoil was.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Awful awful pistol. And I can say this because I own one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd honestly try and find something a bit more comfortable to carry and shoot. My P-64 is quite accurate, i'd probably be even more accurate with it if I wasn't worried about it carving up the web of my hand with every shot. I currently have a half healed wound in my hand from shooting it last week?? Even after replacing the springs with a Wolff spring kit it remains one of my least pleasant to shoot handguns. I've never looked into it but I bet finding good quality CCW holsters for it won't be easy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Fun pistol; but it's heavy for it's size, very sharp recoil, and a long and heavy DA trigger pull. I could see myself carrying it, but it would't be my first choice.

ETA: If I was going to carry it, I wouldn't fuck with any of the springs and risk the reliability. A bunch of years ago there was a guy on (possibly a Makarov) forum who was making new color molded new grips for P64s.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would definitely go with a the heavier mainspring. The P-64 is one of just a very few guns that I hated to shoot because of how sharp the recoil was.
View Quote

I would leave it alone, you don;t want to ruin it's reliability. And I think you meant recoil spring. I don't think OP wants a heavier trigger, the stock trigger is pretty heavy as-is from what I've read. I did lots of research on these fine little guns because I really, really wanted. Still do! But I ended up getting some Beretta 80 series pistols as they popped up. I remember when the P64s were selling for like 225 and stuff. What are they going for now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 19

Glock 43

Glock 48

Sig 365
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Glock 19

Glock 43

Glock 48

Sig 365
View Quote

This in Curios and relics sub-forum. Please don't spam/troll with glocksucker posts.
@18B30
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm just kidding bro!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd honestly try and find something a bit more comfortable to carry and shoot. My P-64 is quite accurate, i'd probably be even more accurate with it if I wasn't worried about it carving up the web of my hand with every shot. I currently have a half healed wound in my hand from shooting it last week?? Even after replacing the springs with a Wolff spring kit it remains one of my least pleasant to shoot handguns. I've never looked into it but I bet finding good quality CCW holsters for it won't be easy.
View Quote

I found a decent kydex holster and magazine  holder off ebay for around $50 shipped

While it isn’t my first choice  it is way more accurate then my ruger lcp was, i sent it back to ruger for repair and just got it back waiting to shoot it.  I did buy a ruger max 9 from the classified section here and  hopefully it will be sent out soon, With paying close to $600 for maryland w$c class, then fingerprint, maryland application fee and i did the Florida permit and fingerprints as well since the class worked for them too,   I don’t have the money for  the latest carry pistols.  The p64 will have to serve me until i can get the ruger max 9. I still have to come up with the ffl dealer fee and md registration fee.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my P64.  Shoot very well in single action.  First round double action is very heavy.  I would carry it but would carry my cz 82 first if I was only limited to C&R pistols.  Yes the P64 is heavy but mine is quite accurate. If it's what you have then it is good
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Does anyone concealed carry a p64?

I know this is kind of frowned upon here but has anyone refinished modified or changed the grips on their p64?
View Quote

Yes, but...

I have one as a garage gun and if my wife invades the man cave (aka garage) and issues a decree of "thou shall go to the store."  I usually just grab my P64, sticky holster and shove it in my pocket.

If I didn't have to worry about going in the house and getting issued a full on shopping list I'd go grab my Model 60 no dash, which is pretty much C&R at this point too.  

FWIW, I think the P64 is a good gun.  Mine has a 18lb hammer, 20lb recoil, and +5% magazine spring.  It runs good it seems, I just prefer other guns and rounds.

I put a Hogue slip on grip on it after I removed the Maschall grips. The pocket holster has only been used a couple of times. I had been just shoving it in my pocket or Mexican carrying it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No doubt. Even with the spring and rubber grips that thing hurts
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I always liked the fact that if you run out of rounds with a P64 you still have a pretty good club.  Cannot say the same about an LCP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Love my P64.  It's a great specimen, accurate and smooth as silk action.  Picked it up back in the glory days for $140.  I don't bother trying to fire double action with that horrible first pull.....only complaint.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#15]
On paper the P64 looks like it would be a great CCW pistol. I bought 2 from a guy and planned to do so. Then I took them to the range and hated them. Heavy DA, slide bite and tiny sights

I sold them both and haven't looked back since. They might have been fun as a range toy but I wouldn't ever carry one for defense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The p64 was never designed as a match grade pistol.  For what it is the p64 is a good pistol.  The sights are good for at least 25 yards.  The double action is stiff i don’t think it is over the top.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine is very accurate. Better than my wife's shield 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they are out of production bit, Russ from PolishIron.com used to make some nice grips. I bought a pair for my Makarov that are a favorite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top