Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2018 10:57:42 PM EDT
So, I’m just wondering what your choice is for an outdoors “pocket” EDC?  I’m specifically excluding Swiss Army Knives or multitools, unless it has as pocket clip and it’s your primary EDC (which I’ve seen a few times). I’m just focusing on a (typically) single blade pocket clip folding EDC and your preferred locking mechanism.  Yeah, I know, fixed blades are very much the preference for most, but I’m just focusing on folders, just to keep this on topic.

I would have to say the lock-back is probably the most traditional and time proven, but there are other options which his what I want to discuss.  While the locking mechanism is supposed to be the strength of a folder are there disadvantages and advantages for the various lock types?  Of course, the biggest concern is keeping your blade clean, but which ones are easier than others?  I’ve seen older lock-back designs pretty dirty up to the point they were really sticky to open or close.  Once you start doing the dirty chores for outdoors cutting, how important is it to have an easy-to-clean folder?

As I look as some of the other locking mechanism such as the Axis lock, plunger-button type locks, etc., they rely on a spring or wire of some type.  Are these locks inherently more susceptible to getting “gunked up” and difficult to clean?  I’ve long considered the Spyderco Military with their liner locks or their smaller Paramilitary with the compression lock as very simple and easy to clean when they get animal fat, fish scales or sap all over the handle and liner lock.  On the other hand, the Axis lock is probably near the top of evolutionary folding locking mechanisms; however even my most stout folder, the RAO II, relies on a very small spring to engage a similar-styled locking mechanism.  Granted, the additional locking pin would at least allow you to still use the knife if the primary locking mechanism failed (broken spring).

LionSteel one-piece frame lock:

RAO II (this is not really a "pocket folding knife though):

Spyderco Military liner lock:

Benchmade Bedlam with Axis lock (that is a very good fish/game cleaning profile):

Hogue X5 with Plunge lock:

Cold Steel 4-Max with Tri-Ad locking mechanism (a very stout lock-back mechanism):

Opinel No 10 with their "Virobloc" safety ring/lock (again, not a modern "pocket folder", but a good example of a different locking mechanism that is pretty simple):

So, just throwing this out there since it’s a newer design from CRKT (well, introduced last year):

I just thought this innovative design was pretty interesting as a field serviceable folder...

So, are the liner locks the easiest to clean in the field?  I would include frame locks as well.  I also wonder if something designed like the LionSteel one-piece designed frame lock with their handle “locking” mechanism would be one of the most simple and easiest to maintain and clean in the field?  Just random thoughts regarding a locking blade pocket folder for the field and all the typical hunting, camping, fishing, and bushcraft tasks you could do with just your EDC folder…

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I’m just wondering what your choice is for an outdoors “pocket” EDC?...

ROCK6
View Quote
Spyderco Tenacious.  Easy 1 hand open and close.  Decent knife at a great price ($42 delivered @ Amazon) so that when you lose it you won't cry!
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spyderco Tenacious.  Easy 1 hand open and close.  Decent knife at a great price ($42 delivered @ Amazon) so that when you lose it you won't cry!
View Quote
I forgot to add to leave all those practical suggestions at home  Funny you mention the Tenacious.  I picked one up for my soon-to-be-son-in-law (STBSIL) as one of his Christmas stocking stuffers.  I know it's an imported Spyderco, but wow, pretty impressive for such an inexpensive blade.  My STBSIL was ecstatic and my daughter says he carries it everyday.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I vary between a SAK Cadet, an old Case or Buck folding hunter on my belt or an older S&W pocket clip holder.

Mainly carry the Cadet these days. Flat n decent sized usable blade.  Screw driver, nail file, bottle opener and can opener.  The can opener lacks somewhat.   Also, the nail file will spark my ferro rod.  Good little knife.

I have a thing for the older folding hunters.  Not whiz bang tactical.  But I just like em.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the little gear thingy on the CRKT serve any purpose?

I think you need one of the Buck 110 Automatics though. Because grandpa switchblade.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the little gear thingy on the CRKT serve any purpose?
View Quote
Yeah, the gear unscrews a captured screw, that's the first part to unscrew before levering the disconnect.  It's really pretty cool...I've only seen videos, nothing hands-on, but I have to give CRTK credit for the innovation and trusting the end-user not to screw it up
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If I am hiking or doing anything outdoors a Spyderco Manix 2  lightweight in s110v is always on me. If doing any outdoors camping/hiking I have at least 1 or 2 fixed blades with me, the folder is the manix 2. Good blade size and can't beat the weight for how durable it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I vote Spyderco.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, the gear unscrews a captured screw, that's the first part to unscrew before levering the disconnect.  It's really pretty cool...I've only seen videos, nothing hands-on, but I have to give CRTK credit for the innovation and trusting the end-user not to screw it up
View Quote
Neat. Kinda wanna play with one now...I screwed up and hit the 1-Click buy on a Benchmade Azeria II earlier today though so I might put myself in knife time out for a few months.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Neat. Kinda wanna play with one now...I screwed up and hit the 1-Click buy on a Benchmade Azeria II earlier today though so I might put myself in knife time out for a few months.
View Quote
The Azeria is a great blade.  I didn't like the sheath attachment, so I used the awl on my multitool to make a couple holes to attach a Tech-Lok clip so it rides at a better angle for me.  Still, a great little blade.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Azeria is a great blade.  I didn't like the sheath attachment, so I used the awl on my multitool to make a couple holes to attach a Tech-Lok clip so it rides at a better angle for me.  Still, a great little blade.

ROCK6
View Quote
I figure I'll probably do some modificating to it to make it ride better with the lunch meats hanging over my belt.

One of these days I'll get around to making my own kydex gear....

On topic though, ever think about using a traditional slip joint folder for this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On topic though, ever think about using a traditional slip joint folder for this?
View Quote
That's probably the most traditional pocket folder and still valid.  Of course the biggest detractor is that they get a lot of lint and crap inside and it's hard to get out without a pipe cleaner and spray bottle.  All I remember is that my grandfather's old Uncle Henry was used for everything and it was so gunked up I don't know how he was able to get it open  Still, it worked.

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top