Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2022 8:25:24 PM EDT
Anyone picking one of these up?  I've heard good things about the full size Polonium, and I've been looking for a K can.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
From what silencer Jesus says (Jay), anything with traditional baffles is old, out dated tech, things have evolved...so that would be a big no for me
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one.  Kind of regret it already
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what silencer Jesus says (Jay), anything with traditional baffles is old, out dated tech, things have evolved...so that would be a big no for me
View Quote

That's funny because in his rankings that old tech still leads in many categories across many platforms.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's funny because in his rankings that old tech still leads in many categories across many platforms.
I think a lot of people are reading into Jay's data what they want to read. Cherry picking certain statistics and ignoring others.

The HuxWrx and Poloniums are both examples of this.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think a lot of people are reading into Jay's data what they want to read. Cherry picking certain statistics and ignoring others.

View Quote

We know who bought an EA Arx
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does it shoot? What does it sound like? Does it affect accuracy positively or negatively?

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I actually bought OSS, ARX and plan to buy a Polonium (maybe K, maybe full size, still undecided).

There is no perfect suppressor, as hard as some people try to find one.  They all have their own positive and negative tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes on Polonium (could be awesome on a tuned or bolt gun). HuxWrx sounds basically perfect for a short 556 gun from what I've read.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
HuxWrx sounds basically perfect for a short 556 gun from what I've read.
View Quote
Maybe. I'm a cynic.  All we have so far is Jay's data.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say something to refute it…
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's fair. I guess for my needs his data (along with TBAC or other trustworthy NFA review folks) is enough to get me interested.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How does it shoot? What does it sound like? Does it affect accuracy positively or negatively?

Pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?

They aren't even at dealers yet.  It was a pre-order.  It will be months before it gets to me.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Well, the FLOW 556k seems like it is REALLY good and has no barrel length restriction which might actually be needed for one of my guns.  I guess the Pollonium K was a few hundred dollars cheaper, so it all works out.

I think Jay is going to test the Pollonium K.  I hope it performs well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you contribute anything useful from the 69k posts you managed to spew?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s awfully aggressive…
Even Jay said his data usefulness is up for discussion
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's fair. I guess for my needs his data (along with TBAC or other trustworthy NFA review folks) is enough to get me interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For something that you’ll have as long as a can, I don’t get the preorder thing based on paid reviews. I’m not a beta tester.

With the hype that every single new suppressor gets on this forum it’s incredible this is still going on.

I remember when guys were preordering the M4-2000 because it “wouldn’t have any wobble”

I want to see 6 months of use by idiots with all manners of rifles and ammo and then decide if it works.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For something that you’ll have as long as a can, I don’t get the preorder thing based on paid reviews. I’m not a beta tester.

With the hype that every single new suppressor gets on this forum it’s incredible this is still going on.

I remember when guys were preordering the M4-2000 because it “wouldn’t have any wobble”

I want to see 6 months of use by idiots with all manners of rifles and ammo and then decide if it works.

What am I missing?
View Quote

Dudes will literally defend a suppressor they don't even own with every fiber of their body and soul.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What am I missing?
View Quote

Whether we like it or not, we're often beta testers to some degree when we buy a suppressor, unless we've had the chance to shoot a similar model before. Where I live, unfortunately, there simply aren't many opportunities to try cans, optics, or guns without buying them first.

As to hype, how are people not going to get hyped by a review? I mean, that's why all of these companies have forum presence, insta accounts, marketing, and paid/self reviews. It's intentionally meant to create the exact reactions they're getting.

Either way I'm not buying a new 556 can because I've got an ECCO'd M42K and I just don't see any of the newer ones doing anything much better than what I have. The new HuxWrx sounds pretty incredible from early impressions but I simply have no need to be an early adopter (and if it is as awesome as Jay's review suggests than I can't wait to pick one up in a year or so). That said, of all the new 556 cans reviewed this year so far, the HuxWrx and Polonium do sound the most interesting to me (even if the use cases seem to differ). For anyone else who is buying a new 556 can and wants the newest whatever, I can't see how these reviews (paid or otherwise) could be anything other than a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d say he has for sure.

What have you contributed to this thread or forum.

Go attack posters somewhere else.

Sorry your can lost.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’d say he has for sure.

Sorry your can lost.
View Quote

Lost what? Nobody here possesses any of the cans anyone is discussing LOL
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’d say he has for sure.

Sorry your can lost.
View Quote

Honest question. How do people rack up 69xxx posts since 2008 and nearly 8xxx since 2018? That's like 5 and 13 posts every single day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’d say he has for sure.

Sorry your can lost.
View Quote

And you felt compelled enough to post here. Sit back down, sweety.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Whether we like it or not, we're often beta testers to some degree when we buy a suppressor, unless we've had the chance to shoot a similar model before. Where I live, unfortunately, there simply aren't many opportunities to try cans, optics, or guns without buying them first.

As to hype, how are people not going to get hyped by a review? I mean, that's why all of these companies have forum presence, insta accounts, marketing, and paid/self reviews. It's intentionally meant to create the exact reactions they're getting.

Either way I'm not buying a new 556 can because I've got an ECCO'd M42K and I just don't see any of the newer ones doing anything much better than what I have. The new HuxWrx sounds pretty incredible from early impressions but I simply have no need to be an early adopter (and if it is as awesome as Jay's review suggests than I can't wait to pick one up in a year or so). That said, of all the new 556 cans reviewed this year so far, the HuxWrx and Polonium do sound the most interesting to me (even if the use cases seem to differ). For anyone else who is buying a new 556 can and wants the newest whatever, I can't see how these reviews (paid or otherwise) could be anything other than a good thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

You make all good points. I guess it rubs me the wrong way when faboys hype something - ESPECIALLY when they haven't even used it yet. It's like the truck guys who exclaimed the next Gen F150 with the Ecoboost was going to be the best truck in world history...except now that they're on the road the ecoboosts are literally exploding, doors are falling off, and rear windows are falling out of channels. Remember 1.5 years ago when the Sierra 5 was going to be awesome in every way and it has acceptable dBs? I wonder how the guys with destroyed baffles feel about those tests today.

I, like you, don't see a whole lot of improvement in these cans and I have been burned in the past getting on new stuff that was strictly tested for one metric. I have seen my Sandman K with an E brake significantly increase group sizes in my AI, for example. You'd never know that from a guy who is throwing it on a 4.5" full auto to test baffle strength, or measuring the dB output.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Honest question. How do people rack up 69xxx posts since 2008 and nearly 8xxx since 2018? That's like 5 and 13 posts every single day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d say he has for sure.

Sorry your can lost.

You would know if you had been here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You appear new to Arfcom. It is much better to discuss things online than actually do it.

That's why this thread is 16 hours old and has 24 replies, but a Dicken drill results thread thats been up for several weeks only has 40.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Guys, this is a tech forum, not GD.  How about you take the pissing contest outside.

So back to the Polonium K,  I'm not seeing it on the OCL website.  Are there even any specs released yet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Guys, this is a tech forum, not GD.  How about you take the pissing contest outside.

So back to the Polonium K,  I'm not seeing it on the OCL website.  Are there even any specs released yet?
View Quote

lol That is why it is so comical to even be discussing this thing.

No one has any first hand experience with one.
Comparisons being made to one or two other cans that are also unavailable.
Yet somehow its the can to buy!

It's a clown show. The trolls are providing more value as at least it is neutral - the hype men are actually bringing speculation which is not backed up in any way and actually does more of a disservice.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the hilarious thing, other than IG posts from OCL and Andrew's personal page, there's nothing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You make all good points. I guess it rubs me the wrong way when faboys hype something - ESPECIALLY when they haven't even used it yet. It's like the truck guys who exclaimed the next Gen F150 with the Ecoboost was going to be the best truck in world history...except now that they're on the road the ecoboosts are literally exploding, doors are falling off, and rear windows are falling out of channels. Remember 1.5 years ago when the Sierra 5 was going to be awesome in every way and it has acceptable dBs? I wonder how the guys with destroyed baffles feel about those tests today.

I, like you, don't see a whole lot of improvement in these cans and I have been burned in the past getting on new stuff that was strictly tested for one metric. I have seen my Sandman K with an E brake significantly increase group sizes in my AI, for example. You'd never know that from a guy who is throwing it on a 4.5" full auto to test baffle strength, or measuring the dB output.
View Quote

I can't argue with any of that. I think the hobby is exploding (similarly to how it did when AAC could do no wrong) and that brings people out of the woodwork desperate to buy the latest and greatest AND justify their purchase because that's just something people do. Unfortunately, those of us who have been down that road before know that it often results in disappointment--as an example, the back pressure numbers on the Polonium sound very similar to one what one might expect from the last 556 can wars, e.g., at muzzle sound was the most important consideration during the development stage. That's not a problem, but I already have cans that excel at that very thing and have no desire to add another one.

Ultimately, it comes down to the result of these people being in the hobby. If they stay, they will likely find their needs change, as mine did. I like to pick a host and can combo when possible rather than maintain a jack of all trades approach, and I've got a couple of absolute turds in the collection that wound up there because my parameters of use weren't as refined as they are now. If new adopters feel duped about their purchase due to unrealistic ideas formed around marketing or reviews, that's bad for the industry and community. If they realize that so much of this game is hype, and the reality is that it's all about the right tool for the job (even if that tool is five years old), they will ultimately strengthen our community.

And unfortunately, that means putting up with them as they figure it out, just as folks once did for me
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just answered your own question.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can't argue with any of that. I think the hobby is exploding (similarly to how it did when AAC could do no wrong) and that brings people out of the woodwork desperate to buy the latest and greatest AND justify their purchase because that's just something people do. Unfortunately, those of us who have been down that road before know that it often results in disappointment--as an example, the back pressure numbers on the Polonium sound very similar to one what one might expect from the last 556 can wars, e.g., at muzzle sound was the most important consideration during the development stage. That's not a problem, but I already have cans that excel at that very thing and have no desire to add another one.

Ultimately, it comes down to the result of these people being in the hobby. If they stay, they will likely find their needs change, as mine did. I like to pick a host and can combo when possible rather than maintain a jack of all trades approach, and I've got a couple of absolute turds in the collection that wound up there because my parameters of use weren't as refined as they are now. If new adopters feel duped about their purchase due to unrealistic ideas formed around marketing or reviews, that's bad for the industry and community. If they realize that so much of this game is hype, and the reality is that it's all about the right tool for the job (even if that tool is five years old), they will ultimately strengthen our community.

And unfortunately, that means putting up with them as they figure it out, just as folks once did for me
View Quote
Maybe this is where Jays reviews are in a way hurting us.  It becomes a numbers game, like more horsepower, more towing capacity, faster track times, etc.

Specs are only part of the picture.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if joking or not....  
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maybe this is where Jays reviews are in a way hurting us.  It becomes a numbers game, like more horsepower, more towing capacity, faster track times, etc.

View Quote

I doubt it.  If anything it is leading people to want definitive testing in more areas like flash supression, etc.   I personally see more posts of people wanting evidence of good all around performance, not less since Jay started.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

As opposed to what? Some arbitrary value from an owner that is emotionally attached to their purchase?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As opposed to what? Some arbitrary value from an owner that is emotionally attached to their purchase?
View Quote
Specs don't tell you tone. Its also hard to tell how much back pressure and gas you'll get.

I'm not even sure that loudness is being appropriately represented across the board because that is going to vary widely based on host, barrel length and ammunition used.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Product availability
Muzzle device availability
Company reputation and service
Price - maybe you can argue that’s a “spec”
Flash - there’s not a current metric to gauge effectiveness under NVG
Baffle geometry, metal type, and thickness affecting durability
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Product availability
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Product availability

Lol. Majority of the parameters you mentioned are specifications, aside from company/administrative information.

Quoted:
Specs don't tell you tone. Its also hard to tell how much back pressure and gas you'll get.

I'm not even sure that loudness is being appropriately represented across the board because that is going to vary widely based on host, barrel length and ammunition used.

I disagree. How do you quantify a user perceiving a tone? You can’t even quantify individual color perception across humans, you think perceived tone is an important metric that supersedes obvious performance extrapolation from published specs?

Loudness is appropriately represented because Lew Science uses the same rifle configuration across his tests. How can you even argue against that?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

lol That is why it is so comical to even be discussing this thing.

No one has any first hand experience with one.
Comparisons being made to one or two other cans that are also unavailable.
Yet somehow its the can to buy!

It's a clown show. The trolls are providing more value as at least it is neutral - the hype men are actually bringing speculation which is not backed up in any way and actually does more of a disservice.

https://i.ibb.co/6Z4JMFV/signal-2022-08-04-100412.jpg
View Quote

Who said it's the can to buy?  I ordered one instead of a Pollonium.  I was going to buy the Pollonium after the Pew Science review.  The K model became available to order at the same time.  I decided to order the K model instead.  I wanted shorter and lighter and hoped that it would have excellent results like the full size.

The issue with suppressors is that you are going to wait for months for them.  Maybe I wait a few months for "user reviews."  They are solid so I order one.  Now I'm waiting 6 more months to get the item.  It's the nature of the wait time for these products that leads people to order early.

I was ordering a 556 can no matter what.  How long do I want to wait before I finally start waiting?

For most of us, Pew Science is the best data source we'll ever have.  I can't imagine classifying it as hype.  That's the most realistic, quantifiable information we could possibly use to help with a purchase.  I don't see how Pew Science is "hype."
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I disagree. How do you quantify a user perceiving a tone? You can't even quantify individual color perception across humans,
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I disagree. How do you quantify a user perceiving a tone? You can't even quantify individual color perception across humans,
I'm not sure if tone can be quantified. That's one reason why I'm saying specs don't paint a complete picture.

you think perceived tone is an important metric that supersedes obvious performance extrapolation from published specs?
Nobody said that.

Quoted:
Loudness is appropriately represented because Lew Science uses the same rifle configuration across his tests. How can you even argue against that?

Pew Science is using one rifle for the semi-auto tests. A Mk18 clone. The worst case scenario. It's an interesting data point, but only applicable if you use a Mk18 or similar SBR as your suppressor host. What about those of us who use a 16" AR carbine, or bullpup, or AK?  Are his results accurate for those hosts?  Would the same list of suppressors line up the same way with the same "Pew Science Suppressor Rating" ranking?  Maybe?  We don't know.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol. Majority of the parameters you mentioned are specifications, aside from company/administrative information.

I disagree. How do you quantify a user perceiving a tone? You can’t even quantify individual color perception across humans, you think perceived tone is an important metric that supersedes obvious performance extrapolation from published specs?

View Quote

Dmk said “specs are only part of the picture”
Which is true for a large portion of buyers
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to hammer home
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The issue with suppressors is that you are going to wait for months for them.  Maybe I wait a few months for "user reviews."  They are solid so I order one.  Now I'm waiting 6 more months to get the item.  It's the nature of the wait time for these products that leads people to order early.

I was ordering a 556 can no matter what.  How long do I want to wait before I finally start waiting?

View Quote

There are several (dozens of?) quality cans which are currently on dealer shelves that are proven performers in the 5.56 category.

Why would you order something unknown with a variable pre-order time when you could cut out all of that and get a nice 5.56mm can today? If you still want a Polonium K, you can order that once some other sucker has had to deal with the delivery date pushed back several times, teething issues with new products, etc.

You can be rocking and rolling with a new can while Mr. Preorder is still spending his afternoons posting on the internet instead of shooting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There are several (dozens of?) quality cans which are currently on dealer shelves that are proven performers in the 5.56 category.

Why would you order something unknown with a variable pre-order time when you could cut out all of that and get a nice 5.56mm can today? If you still want a Polonium K, you can order that once some other sucker has had to deal with the delivery date pushed back several times, teething issues with new products, etc.

You can be rocking and rolling with a new can while Mr. Preorder is still spending his afternoons posting on the internet instead of shooting.
View Quote

Well, a Surefire RC2 is almost $1000. OSS HX 556 is around $1000. CGS Helios is $1000.  Sico Saker 556 is $800.

OCL has offerings at ~half the price with similar or better performance.  It's hard to drop the money on a "proven performer" when new guys are dropping bombs.  I already have a Turbo at the budget end.  You'd have to be blind to not see why OCL is appealing.

Maybe they won't be all that great, but it's easy to see why people want to buy them.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, a Surefire RC2 is almost $1000. OSS HX 556 is around $1000. CGS Helios is $1000.  Sico Saker 556 is $800.

OCL has offerings at ~half the price with similar or better performance.  It's hard to drop the money on a "proven performer" when new guys are dropping bombs.  I already have a Turbo at the budget end.  You'd have to be blind to not see why OCL is appealing.

Maybe they won't be all that great, but it's easy to see why people want to buy them.

View Quote

Some people are probably preordering next years Kia’s with all the features for half the price too…
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We have the eform 3 pending to us now.  It's a K can; it will be louder than a full size can. But, if you want a quality silencer and this meets your specific requirements, then this one is perfect.
View Quote
According to Pew Science, the full size can is pretty quiet at the muzzle, but at the expense of high back pressure. (I wonder how the back pressure compares to the Turbo T2)

Maybe the Polonium K-can will be a better balance? (Perhaps some competition for the Turbo K)
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Honest question: Why does it seem like a lot of people are against tuning their rifles?
View Quote
I'm not against tuning where I can (and I do own quite a few rifles with AGBs), but I have some rifles that I can't tune, for example the X95 Tavor, some AKs where a KNS piston won't fit, or clone AR15s that I sometimes use with Griffin's A2 adapter.

Tuning isn't always an option with every rifle.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Definitely competition for the Turbo K I think.  As for back pressure, I always recommend tuning the gas for the system.  That way you won't have to worry about back-pressure nearly as much.

Honest question: Why does it seem like a lot of people are against tuning their rifles?
View Quote

I had/have a decent stock of shitty Tula, and found it needs nearly a "stock" setting to run it consistently,  making tuning somewhat of a moot expenditure.

Most people I've met don't really care or see the need, some don't feel confident enough to remove a rail and install a gas block

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ve shot a couple examples of the full size and K. The K didn’t ring my ears on a 10.5, YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top